RSS Feed Print
Cycles of Alzheimer's disease
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, July 6, 2018 12:29 PM

First it was amyloid, then leukotrienes, and then the herpes viruses.  All three have two things in common: first they are the product of oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease.  Second, they all in turn increase oxidative stress in Alzheimer's disease (at least for awhile).  Remove any one of them and you put a slight dent in the disease during its early stages.  Remove them all and you put a somewhat larger dent in the disease during its early stages (since there are many other sources of oxidative stress).  But remove oxidants and you can see some improvements in certain areas of cognition and in some cases behavior that are then maintained during the course of the disease.  Or put another way, with the right antioxidants Alzheimer's become a chronic rather than fatal disease.
dolor
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 11:34 AM

Thanks for this info Lane. I haven't had time to translate it into English (ha, joking) and research it, but I hope to later this week. 

I'd like your opinion, if you have one, on sugar, and on trans fat. I think the idea that lifestyle, including certain diets, can prevent dementia might be tragically misguided, but I am suspicious of the effects of those two items on those people already susceptible to dementia. 

Thanks for your research and for sharing it. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:23 PM

Thank you, dolor.  I enjoy doing the research.

A diet high in sugar, carbohydrates, and salt all increase myo-inositol levels in the brain and high levels of myo-inositol are a potential early biomarker for Alzheimer's disease.

https://www.docguide.com/myo-inositol-n-acetylaspartate-are-sensitive-biomarkers-conversion-mci-alzheimers-disease?tsid=5

As the disease progresses, the transport of glucose becomes a problem and therefore having more glucose in your brain may actually be a slight advantage.  I read once that people with diabetes progress a little more slowly in Alzheimer's disease.

Trans-fatty acids can increase inflammation and oxidation and their intake should probably be limited.

The best diet is one high in antioxidant polyphenols (such as vegetables, fruits, and spices).  An example of this is a Mediterranean diet which may delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease and slow its progression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3024594/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2673956/

MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:27 PM

@dolor

I would love to know more about the FDA’s reaction to the trans fatty acid issue BIG SIGH!

@Lane Simonian

I believe that oxidative stress is a major player in aging. Period. What I find fascinating is that it appears to me that as we are able to live longer, nature seems to be inventing ways to circumvent the longer life spans and foil them so that in essence, we are backtracking.

MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 2:01 AM

Lane Simonian well, I guess we had better just keep on adding anti-oxidants! I do believe it couldn’t hurt! 

UPDATE: DH is still taking the Memory and Brain supplements (Lessman) and I do see a difference when he misses. I suppose that is how much I believe in them right now, based on what I see. I am taking one of them also and believe they are helping with a bout of vertigo.

Also, I believe essential oils activate the brain center in a positive way somehow. At night when his sleeping does not seem restful (snoring) I have opened a jar of Vick’s (for lack of anything else being readily on hand and needing my sleep too) and he quiets down! 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:27 AM

I was surprised when I looked it up this morning to see how many essential oils Vick's has. I am glad that it is helping your husband sleep.  Another good essential oil for sleep is lavender.  You can use a diffuser but you can also put it on kleenex and waft it around before bedtime.

One really good antioxidant for cognitive problems is panax ginseng.  The effects of long-term usage though are not known and finding a good supplier is difficult.