RSS Feed Print
Benfotiamine
Birdies
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 10:06 PM

this is worth a try:

https://www.alzdiscovery.org/cognitive-vitality/ratings/benfotiamine

Larrytherunner
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:17 AM

I looked up benfotiamine in Wikipedia and it says that it is a synthetic derivative of thiamine(Vitamin B1). If it is by definition a synthetic derivative, then it doesn't occur naturally. Then I go look up where you can buy it, and supplement companies are selling it as an all natural form of thiamine. This is an example of the wild unregulated world of food supplements in the US. You never know what you are really getting.
Birdies
Posted: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 8:33 AM

Larrytherunner wrote:
I looked up benfotiamine in Wikipedia and it says that it is a synthetic derivative of thiamine(Vitamin B1). If it is by definition a synthetic derivative, then it doesn't occur naturally. Then I go look up where you can buy it, and supplement companies are selling it as an all natural form of thiamine. This is an example of the wild unregulated world of food supplements in the US. You never know what you are really getting.

Larry,
You are exactly right.  Because we have no regulation on our food supplements, we really have no idea what we’re getting unless we pay to have it tested.
Hopefully when the current Benfotiamine study at the Burke Medical Research Institute is completed, their Benfotiamine will be available to the public.  In the meantime, this is worth a try.  But it has to be the Benfotiamine, as it is fat soluble and stays in the body for much longer than the water soluble B1.  

markus8174
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 7:23 PM

Interesting information, and from what I can tell, safe. Larry- thanks for your follow-up. Being in the "B" class of vitamins, I would have expected it to be water soluble and not stored. I will be more careful with the dosage I use. I have my DW on some supplements that I feel have made a difference, some that may be doing nothing but are appropriate for her diet and health, and some I stopped because she didn't tolerate them. Her "B"  complex (in addition to a MVI) was one I stopped. She was plagued with nausea, and sleep disturbances as well as some lower GI and urinary irregularities no matter what brand/configuration I tried. Perhaps this re-engineered  Thiamine will be better tolerated.
MrsGr8shpr
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:50 AM

I have found that as an older female, multi-vitamins and specifically B vitamins I cannot tolerate. (Nausea and vomiting)

It will be great if the new synthetic B derivative is tolerated. I can do CoQ and PQQ (Andrew Lessman supplements) I tolerate without problems. 

DH who has MCI has hadca few problems with supplements when there is not enough food on his stomach.