RSS Feed Print
Our LOs Say the Craziest Things
dhunton
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:47 PM

Would this kind of topic be good? I think most of us have had the incredibly bizarre conversation during which it was all you could do not to laugh.

Here's my opening example:

Mom: “You’re back quick.”

Jim: “I didn’t go anywhere.”

Mom: “You went out of town. You told me this morning you were going.”

Jim: “No, mom, that’s not until Thursday.”

Mom: “Yes. Today’s Friday.”

Jim: “No, mom, today’s Tuesday.”

Mom: “What happened to Wednesday and Thursday?”

Jim: “They come next.”

Mom: “What does that even mean?” 

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 10:55 PM

I've been called names.  

Example:  Recently, either during bath time or diaper change (don't remember which..uh oh) I was called, 

"pinche vieja cagada…" 

translate

"f****en shitty old lady"

And he can curse in English too. I've also been called a 

"mother f***er"

NICE.

GothicGremlin
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:23 AM

For me it's wild free association. My sister's PPA is causing her to lose nouns at an alarming rate.

My sister: I have that thing for that thing tonight.

Me: Hmm? I need more of a hint.

My sister: It's what I do with friends. I can't remember what it's called.

Me: Have dinner?

My sister: No, not dinner.

Me: Get together and hang out?

My sister: Not exactly.

Me: (thinking - what else do you do with friends when you get together but aren't having food?) Out loud I say - are you having a meeting?

My sister: Yes, a meeting.

Me: You're having a meeting with your arts foundation friends?

My sister: Yes!

I was kind of surprised I got it that quickly.

gubblebumm
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 9:45 AM

Using mapquest on my phone

Mom:  What is THAT!?

Me: Oh its an app on my phone that using satitilites, and mapping and algorhims, and what not and people have driven around and they check the traffic, blah blah blah

Mom:  (blank look)

Me:  Its a talking map! Like Harry Potter had

Mom:  Cool!!

w/e
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 11:52 AM

To say and to do

The living is easy.

Early morning. Mid-January. Way, way up north. Snow everywhere.

My immortal beloved is inside our cozy cabin. Standing naked. Gazing out the bedroom window at the huge pile of snow. He walks toward the patio door and points to the outside...

He: "There. There. Over there."

I: "Later. After breakfast. Not right now. It is too cold. It is -29C with a wind chill factor of -38C."

He: "Am no f*** crazy dumb asshole. I know it is summer."

Out the door he went. Without boots. Without parka. Without mitts. Chasing pleasures. Seeking Life. Here. Now.

I love him so.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:38 PM

My mother had difficulty processing things in real time, so she often lagged behind and did not always catch things.

One day, myself, my husband, my brother and his wife were all visiting   My brother happened to say something unintentionally funny while tripping over his own feet and a magazine he had been holding went flying into the air.  We all spontaneously burst into laughter.

My mother gave us all a dirty look and said, "Oh for ctying out loud, don't have an organism!"

She meant 'orgasm."

She was NOT the type of lady to say such a thing which startled us a bit and then had us all sputtering trying not to laugh all over again.  That has been a phrase we sometimes use now and then when together.

J.

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:04 AM

Dad:

"The lady was walking down the street with her pants falling off....(chuckle chuckle)...and then she went to church....(chuckle)."

Me:

"Really?"  (chuckle).

eileanleft
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 3:38 PM

There are definitely chuckles to be had during these difficult times.  Mom's birthday and Mother's Day are always close, and my brothers send flowers and gifts (but no visits!).  On a phone call to my brother to thank him for the flowers, it went something like this:

Mom:     Thanks for the gifts, Jim, I'm sorry I didn't get anything for you. 

Jim:     How have been, mom?

Mom:  I have a part-time job now, I go to Forest Hills (no, Forest drive near home, not another city).  I'm sorry I couldn't send you all gifts.  Merry Christmas.  

LOL,  she attends a social day program twice a week.  One day she was quite annoyed on her return home. "  The center is very nice.  I do alot.  I don't understand why they haven't paid me yet." 

eileanleft
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 3:39 PM

Great topic.  The laughs are healing.  Thanks.
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 11:49 PM

This morning during a diaper change.

Dad: "I used to like you the most.  But now, you know what? Not anymore."

Me: speechless, but with a grin.

markus8174
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2019 9:58 AM

Gothic Gremlin- I so understand your post. Sometimes conversing with my DW is like prolonged game of "Mad Libs". I'm terrible at word games and riddles. It's very frustrating for my DW who is sure she is saying exactly what she means, and is concerned for me because I am getting so dense I can't understand a simple conversation.
abc123
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2019 10:58 AM

Dear w/e. THANK YOU. I really needed a belly laugh today. Thank you for sharing!
MinutebyMinute
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2019 10:39 AM

The conversations are fascinating -- and frustrating -- sometimes. This one sure was.

We went to DQ and came home with ice cream. It was a bit soft so ...

Me: Do you want to put the ice cream in the freezer or eat it now?

Mom: Freeze it. We have to eat dinner.

(Mind you, we'd HAD dinner not 90 minutes before. There wasn't anything much in the house to eat, and had I known she was still hungry, we could have stopped at any of a dozen places en route to DQ.)

Me: We had dinner. We had rotisserie chicken sandwiches.

Mom: I didn't eat any rotary chicken. I haven't had anything to eat all day. Give me the d*mn ice cream.

gubblebumm
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:57 PM

My mom took herself for a walk around the block (egad) I go to find her and there is she is two sweaters a scarf and her slipper type shoes.

Oh Hi, just went for a walk, oh and btw can you get me a coat that zips up better?

Oh Mom, you mean this one right here on your chair we spent five hours yesterday shopping for?

Oh....that was after saying we are hear to get you a coat that zips up no less then 50 times each time she asked "why are we here"

SMH

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, August 4, 2019 11:57 PM

Lately, Barbara has had these facial contortions that make her look like she is in agony, so I'm having a bit of trouble right now reading her. Last week, after I had gotten her fixed up in her new chair, put her blanket over her, and adjusted her pillow, I asked her if she felt better. She replied, " I feel like I'm going to wet my pants. "
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:31 PM

A little while ago, a new visiting Hospice nurse called me to let me know that she really could not understand everything my father said, because he mostly speaks Spanish.   However, she said:

"...I think he called me 'the DEVIL'...but he is so cute. He still smiles and talked.....I called the Case Manager nurse and told her 'he's mine'..."

I later found out that my father told her, "GO AWAY...DEVIL". 

I told her, "....don't feel bad, he calls me 'mother f***ker'"

What a sweetheart, ain't he?

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:31 PM

Ruthie, you're made of tougher stuff than I am, for sure. My skin might look like rhino hide, but inside, I'm still kind of susceptible to speech like that. Come to think of it though, I'm not the kind of person to go sulk in the corner. A much more likely scenario would involve me hitting someone upside their head if they called me that.

Just sayin', you know ?

ruthmendez
Posted: Thursday, August 8, 2019 10:59 PM

chrisp1653 wrote:

...A much more likely scenario would involve me hitting someone upside their head if they called me that.

Just sayin', you know ?

I think my dad gets away with it because of his cute face...the thing that annoys me the most is when I’m freaken (or friggen??) tired and trying to change his diaper (especially overnight) and he’s agitated. He’ll grab a hold of my arms and doesn’t let go or he’ll cross his legs....rrrrrr!! When he grabs my arms I have to peel off his hands.  And there are other things that happen that annoy me (urinating right when I’m changing his diaper and it flows!!! Ugh!!! At 3 am!!!! Uhh ahhh!!!). Oh well...I think this is the ultimate test of my patience....

swimchick0425
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 12:25 PM

Oh my goodness, I just joined this online discussion and I love this page. It brings me joy to laugh at these stories. Here is one of mine taking care of my mother. 

So my mom has lost some of her cognitive abilities and struggles with simple tasks......there is moments where I demonstrate a task and she repeats it with some guidance.

Well she is helping with the salad mix, and she just couldn't grasp the concept of pouring the dressing on the salad and mixing it together, so she stands there a minute with the dressing in hand and then finally starts pouring the packet of dressing. 

When she gets done, she bops herself in the forehead ( like they had in the V8 commericals, where you should have had a V8), and it was like an ephinany.

It was the funniest thing, now she does a little more often, so I have told not to do it as much to not give her a headache. 

gubblebumm
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:00 PM

try explaining rutabega to my mom. much less upside down rutebega cake...this after why are we here?  oh  wine.....