RSS Feed Print
A good boy
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:34 AM

My father received the “anointing of the sick” sacrament today.  For a while, I have been trying to contact, via email, the Catholic Church we used to attend, but no one would respond.  Finally, last Saturday, I left a phone message at the rectory office and shortly after the priest returned my call.  He said he was busy doing masses and he planned to visit the house soon.  He asked if it was an emergency, but I said no.  I said it could be done weeks later, because dad doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere for a while….maybe a long while. However, I like to plan ahead.

I figure, since my father was raised Catholic, (although I’m aware as a little boy he would take a turn down the street and head to the theatres instead of church and lie to his dad that he attended mass), it would be a good idea to ask a priest for the sacrament.  I’m not too familiar with all the sacraments, but I thought it would be a good idea to find out information and allow my father to receive it just in case.  I don’t want dad to visit me in a dream after he’s dead and ask why I didn’t call a priest for him….absolve him from his sins…one of them being the lie to his father about attending mass (and some others).

Anyway, today the priest visited dad after a long while trying to find the house.  For some reason, the GPS kept giving him the wrong directions, but he finally found it.  I was at work, but we communicated via cell.  After getting lost 3 times, I had to direct him by phone.

Earlier, I was worried my dad would say something offensive to him.  Last week, he told the hospice nurse, “GO AWAY…DEVIL.”  So, I was hoping he would be a good boy.  I told my co-worker, “I hope he doesn’t say anything about devils…” 

My co-worker said, “Maybe he’ll levitate.”  

He was joking.

After the visit, the priest called me laughing, “…when I was going to give your father the Eucharist, he said ‘I already ate’”.   First try, he spit it out, but finally managed to swallow the Eucharist with some water. 

I heard he did ok, although one of the caregiver’s daughters said, “your father told the priest,

‘ya te puedes callar’”. 

Translate:

“you can shut up now”.

Oh dear.

MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:58 AM

Kids say the darndest things. My mom told he pastor during services at the MCF  "That is BS!." out loud, in front of God and everyone.  

My mom attended church services every Sunday, for decades. 

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 12:24 PM

Ahaha! Oh no Deb! That’s horrible. My father did go to church too, mostly before he became more ill. When he was going more downhill, we would sit in the children’s section because he was so different by then.

I find it so interesting that he acts different depending on how people approach him. He still jokes too. Last Sunday, I was riding him around in the back yard and I saw my neighbor Charles walking up the hill from his daughter’s and ex wife’s house. Charles greeted my dad when he saw us. My dad jokingly asked him if he had been drinking and he was going to tell Charles” mom about it. Charles (90 yrs old) said, “oh no! Don’t get me in trouble!”

MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:35 PM

That is so cute!! Tattle tale on a 90 year old! 
abc123
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 1:31 PM

Ruth!!!! Thank you for this!!!! I truly laughed out loud!!!!

I already ate! I love it!!!!

Dreamer Lost
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:28 PM

ruth, I love the topic title....A good boy.  My DH and I still attend mass regularly and when he gets the Eucharist he always says "thank you" to the priest instead of amen. He has always been a very polite man and .... a good boy, never missed mass.  I'm sure the priest has heard it all.  And I now know what "ya te puedes callar" means.  LOL 
 Thx for the chuckle. 

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2019 5:56 PM

I love  your father!