RSS Feed Print
Rasagiline
Birdies
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 9:13 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the FDA approved drug Rasagiline?

Rasagiline is used for Parkinson’s Disease, but showed positive results in a Phase II trial for people with mild to moderate Alz.  

I’m considering asking my Mom’s neurologist if she would consider prescribing it for my mom.

Here is the latest on Dr. Cummings and the Rasagiline trial:

https://www.nj.com/healthfit/2019/10/heres-a-much-needed-dose-of-good-news-in-the-quest-to-cure-alzheimers.html

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 9:43 AM

The only thing I can add is that Rasagiline may positively effect certain aspects of Alzheimer's disease:

The protection by rasagiline was proved to be due to stabilization of mitochondrial membrane potential against the collapse induced by SIN-1 [a generator of peroxynitrite], whereas rasagiline did not scavenge peroxynitrite directly....These results suggest that rasagiline may protect declining neurons through its anti-apoptotic activity in neurodegenerative diseases.

Rasagiline may protect or reduce the further death of neurons in Alzheimer's disease, but it may not restore acetylcholine levels needed for the retrieval of short-term memory or regenerate neurons in the  hippocampus.  

Birdies
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 1:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Lane!
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 3:46 PM

Certainly, Birdies.  I wish one of these promising drug trials would be successful over the long-term.