RSS Feed Print
Feru-guard and Alzheimer's disease
Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 11:38 PM

I read the first study this morning and the second study this evening.

Effect of Feru-guard 100M on amyloid-beta deposition in individuals with mild cognitive impairment

Conclusion: Treatment with Feru-guard 100M, a supplement containing FA and AA extract, for 48 weeks did not reduce cortical PiB retention, which reflects Aβ deposition. It also did not suppress the aggravation of brain atrophy or decline in cognitive function.

2020 Aug 6 (online ahead of publication)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32767414/

Effects of Ferulic Acid and Angelica archangelica Extract (Feru-guard ®) on Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Prospective Trial

In conclusion, the current study demonstrated the clinical effectiveness of ferulic acid and A. archangelica extract on cognitive functioning among older adult individuals with MCI.

Published: 18 September 2020

https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-alzheimers-disease-reports/adr200211

There is yet a third study that has been completed by the Oregon Science and Health University for the use of feru-guard to treat neuropsychiatric and behavioral problems in dementia--the results have to be released by the end of the year.

KawKaw
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 10:36 AM

Am I reading it correctly that the findings of these two studies contradict each other?

I cannot effectively read studies any more, but am curious what might cause differing results, if I am reading it correctly.

I never did well in multivariate statistics, so I have always had to have research savvy friends explain such things to me.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 6:28 PM

You got it exactly right, KawKaw (I barely passed my statistics class, so I have to look for help from others, too).

I am trying to figure out what may account for the difference between the two studies.  There may have been a difference in dose.  The second trial (the positive one) was double-blinded so neither the patient nor the investigators knew who was getting the supplement whereas the first one was not (which could lead to more bias).  The small numbers in both studies could lead to misleading conclusions (too many or too few people who were not going to convert to dementia in the first place or maybe more people taking other supplements or drugs in one group or another).

Over the years, the effects of feru-guard on neuropsychiatric and behavioral problems of dementia have been more consistent and more positive than for cognition.  I am hoping that the Oregon Science and Health University will verify the former.