RSS Feed Print
Montelukast - Children and adults are different
Larrytherunner
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2020 10:21 AM

I believe montelukast is a very safe drug for adults. I have been taking it 10 mg three times a day for more than four years without any bad side effects. Unfortunately the FDA ruled this year that montelukast must come with a black box warning. This was a result of a 12 year lobbying effort from Parents United for Pharmaceutical Safety and Accountability (they have facebook group and a website).This group lobbied the FDA to warn the public about montelukast's serious psychriatic side effects in a small percentage of children taking it for asthma - side effects such as agitation, depression, and suicidal thoughts. In adults, however, it has proved to be very safe.

I say for adults because there does seem to be some children that have mental problems with this drug. This may be because children go through what is called synaptic-pruning as their brains rapidly develop, a process in which immune cells in the brain remove neuro synapses that are not being used. Montelukast may slow down the removal of these unused synapses in childhood. However, older adults have long since stopped the synaptic-pruning process. They need to keep the neuro synapses that the process of aging causes them to lose.

https://www.healthline.com/health/synaptic-pruning

Montelukast may slow down the immune cells that attack those neuro synapses in Alzheimers and other dementias due to aging. Hopefully we will find out late next year. Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia is sponsoring a FDA clinical trial using montelukast up to 40 mg a day to treat early stage Alzheimers. Intelgenx Medical Technologies is also sponsoring a montelukast trial for Alzheimers in Canada under the supervision of Health Canada.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2020 9:10 PM

Thanks for posting, Larry.  

Iris