RSS Feed Print
Walk on the beach
Andrew60
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 8:42 PM

Yesterday was a bad cognitive day for me, and I needed a change of pace today. So, the wife and I with our dog Buddy packed in the car and drove 1.5 hours to the Oregon coastal town of Florence. Even in late June, its still usually a little cold on the beach with the wind blowing. Only a handful of people were out walking, most of them with their dogs. Its very relaxing to walk a few miles, nothing but fresh air, cool breeze, and the calming sounds of the waves coming in. By the time we left, I felt much better, and we followed up with a nice seafood lunch.

I grew up in Orange County CA, about 10 miles from Hunington Beach, where I spent most of my summer days as a youth. Of course back then, I was not there in search of the calming affect, but more for the girl watching.....

Some days are good, some not so much, but always moving forward with a positive attitude.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 9:23 PM

Hi, Andrew.  Today, my local newspaper had a front page article about forest walking.  It's about observing and taking in the forest via all of our senses--the sights, the smells, the feelings, the sounds.  It's about hiking at a slower pace. I suppose what you did could be called beach walking.  You took in the sights, the smells, the feelings and the sounds of the ocean and beach.  How wonderful!  People like us need nature!

Iris L.

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 9:52 PM

Andy, did you walk along the beach by the North Jetty ? Once or twice I have clambered over those huge rocks almost all the way to the foghorn. Oh, and please tell me you stopped at BJ's for a scoop of their magnificent ice cream !
Underdog
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 10:56 PM

Hey Andrew, you made me more aware that most of my anecdotes have a twinge of complaint connected to them. I need to put more positivity in my stories.

So then you made me more aware that when you walk in South Texas, you only have two windows where the heat doesn't knock you for a loop, 45 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes just before dark.

So we take our comfortable walks in the mall, and count the stores that we've never bought anything from. Spoiler alert: there are more stores we haven't shopped in than we have. (Who shops in those stores?) Sears, we've bought things from Sears.

But we still dread that walk from the store to our car.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 11:36 PM

Lucky to be very close to the beach.  Love it there.

Andrew, we could of been neighbors. Born in Downey, and spent the first few years of my life in Norwalk.  Love beating up the neighborhood kids and chasing the kids away from my toys.  

My oldest sister said it was worse as soon as I would wake up from a nap, look out the window, get pissed off, run outside, turn on the water hose, and spray the kids off the lawn.

Best part of those years.

Anyway, I'm glad you and the team enjoyed the day.  Keep visiting the beach.  It's such a wonderful place to be.

Underdog, that sucks. The heat makes my very grouchy.  Not used to it.

dutiful deb
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2018 11:59 PM

Andrew,

When we need to get away, my husband and I pack up our dog and head for the beach, too. We live a couple of hours from the northern Oregon/southwest Washington coast. Your post makes me want to travel a little farther south to some beaches I haven't been to for a few years. Newport and Lincoln City are about as far down as my husband and I go lately. Our daughter got married last month on the beach in in Pacific City. She was married on a Friday, but we took my mother-in-law on Thursday and stayed through Sunday. It was in the high 60's and clear, so for the time of year we had good weather for a beach wedding. 

I do not post very often but I enjoy reading your posts. They are very positive, and are an example to me of how I could have a better attitude. Thank you! 

George K
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:24 AM

Hey Andrew and Ruth, it's a small world.  I lived in Downey for three years, and went to 'The Golden Bear' in Huntington Beach.  I live on the East Coast nowadays, it's about an hour and a half drive to the ocean, but I do it frequently because I find the ocean to be so cleansing and relaxing.  While I'm there I also get my meals to go because food just tastes better to me while I'm watching the almighty ocean.  I'll  be staying there for a few weeks soon, celebrating the 4th of July and fireworks display.
llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 6:29 AM

Good for you Andrew. So glad you got to enjoy the beach. I love sitting on the beach, meditating and being mesmerized by the ocean and all it's power.
Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 7:18 AM

Its good to see a few “homeys” from the OC. As a teenager, we would ride our bikes to the beach and spend all day there. The 10 mile ride home was not as fun, but we powered through.

Underdog - I moved last year from NC to Oregon, so Im well aware of how awful living in high humidity is. We would turn on the AC in June, and maybe, if lucky, once or twice we could briefly turn if off during the entire summer. We also would go to the Mall early in the mornings to walk to avoid the heat.

Chris - We did not go to BJs, but we had lunch at our usual place, Mo’s seafood. I had shrimp fettuccine.

Its soooooo relaxing walking the dog on the beach. A few times with no one around, we were able to take his leash off, and he had a blast. 

The wife and I had a laugh because in late June we’re wearing jackets on the beach compared to living in NC, where it would be to hot to go walking at noon in the summer. Life can really be good when you take the time to explore. In addition to beach trips, we go to several walking trails that follow the river here, and enjoy to peace and beautiful scenery.

I have to stay positive, and I dont know what my future holds, but I do know Who holds it.

BethL
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:29 AM

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing, and, are there any MOUNTAIN people out there? My happy place is Estes Park, Colorado. I would love to live there, but family comes first so I stay close by my son and his family.

In case you are wondering, my black bear avatar is NOT from Rocky Mountain National Park; it's from Yellowstone - another truly amazing place. God's beauty and diversity amaze me!

MissHer
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:06 AM

Sounds very peaceful Andrew. I've been to Oregon and we drove on the hwy that borders WA and Oregon. Breathtaking. 

I'm a mountain person Beth. I love Colorado Mountains and that's our first road trip planned. I want to move there myself! Might,too. Kids can come visit if they want to.  One of the kids have been to Colorado and she loves it,too. I don't think the others have been there. If they went they would probably be ready to move there. 

Andrew60
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:58 AM

I also love hiking in the hills or mountains. My wife has multiple sclerosis, so somedays her legs dont work as well as they should. We enjoy walking up smaller hills, and there are plenty of places to do this near our home. She really enjoys the woods, but since I was diagnossed with MCI 2 years ago, I have new fears I never had before, and one of them is encountering bears in the woods. I spent 29 years as a Marine, and in the past, no environment scared me, but not anymore. Also, I no longer will go in the ocean. I probably watched one too many episodes of shart attack shows, or “Sharknado”. Sharks and I have an agreement, they stay in the water, and I stay on the shore.........

Any type of physical activity I highly enjoy. So far in this stage of MCI, morning energy is not a problem, and I run or walk everyday. Afternoons, I tend to slowly fizzle.

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2018 11:48 PM

George K wrote:
...  I'll  be staying there for a few weeks soon, celebrating the 4th of July and fireworks display.

This sounds like so much fun! Over here, I'll do the usual, (can't get out anyway), but I can see the coast from a distance on a hill.  Before 9 pm, a bunch of neighbors gather up on top the neighborhood hill and watch the full view of little firework spots across the horizon. I stay at my yard and try to watch from around my neighbor's awful, steep roof peak from a room addition that blocks my view. But at least I get to see the other half of the view.

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:58 PM

Ruth, up in the sky is where it's all happening, anyway. Anymore, we sit here wishing the noise would all end, hope that we can make it another year without any errant fireworks ending up in our yard, or worse, on our roof, and try to enjoy watching the pretty colors of the show on the mighty Colombia River - on our tv. Lol !
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 3:13 PM

aahhahaaha! Yeah you're right. But I kinda wanna see the neighbors and maybe catch up on the latest gossip. ;o)
ladyzetta
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:54 PM

I love the Oregon Beaches. I used to live 2 hours from Florence so I spent a lot of time there. I now live in Central Oregon so it takes me 5 hours to get to Florence. And my favorite place is also Mo's it has the best Clam Chowder. 

I grew up in California and I spent a lot of time in a little town named Jenner, its right at the mouth of the Russian River. I also spent a lot of my younger years in San Francisco, I miss the ocean, about as close as I get to the Ocean now is when I go visit my daughter in Seattle. The Ocean is also a very peaceful place to me. Take Care All, Hugs Zetta  

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2018 1:33 PM

California connections here I see.  I grew up in Lakewood, Ca and spent much of the summers as a teen on Tenth Place Beach in Long Beach.  I would take the bus down there with my friend whose grandmother lived across the street from the ocean.  Boy; those were the days!

Have now moved years ago, but still find myself at the ocean and feeling very peaceful.  In dead of summer, I tend to stay away from the throngs.  Winter at the ocean is my place of peace and renewal . . . smell the tang of salt and seaweed in the sea air; watch the gulls playing on the air currents; feeling the ocean breeze in my hair, taste the salt on my lips and loving the sound of the waves as they hit the shore.

Truly deeply relaxing.