RSS Feed Print
Grandkids
Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:55 AM

How great are grandkids?
Our little 5 year old granddaughter has been living with us for the past 6 weeks, and her mom will move in with us when she moves here from NC in 2 weeks.

I love picking her up everyday after kindergarten and taking her to the park for an hour or so, and watching her master new obstacles on the playground.  I will sit there, or keep walking around the circle of the playground (have to keep getting my fitbit steps in) and be entertained by her and her fun antics.

What is sad, is as a 61 year old man, I often felt the stares of all the mothers on the playground, being protective of their children in the presence of this lone man. So, I make sure they know Im will my GD, and call her over to me every 10 mins or so, so they know Im not here alone. I certainly dont blame all the parents, because crazies are everywhere, but now, Im a regular, so they all recognize me.

I love the thrill in her eyes when she learns something new, or simply having conversations with her. It is so relaxing for me to get her out of the house, and watch her being a kid. At her age, she does not know the dangers around her, completely innocent, and I wish I could keep her in my own created cocoon. However, we keep watering and feeding her, so grow she will, even if Poppa wants her to always be this sweet little girl.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 8:05 AM

The pertinent question. How great is life? It's as great as we make it. As individuals. And collectively. It's the collectively part that comes hard. --Jim
ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:22 AM

That little girl is cute. Can barely see her, but she seems to have a precious smile.
Andrew60
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 11:05 AM

Thanks Ruth. She is partially hidden by the giant container of cheese balls I bought her in the store a few days ago.

She keeps me cognitively engaged, and never notices any slippage in my memory.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 11:42 AM

Life is never better than when you are with a grandchild. Life can be wonderful but they are the frosting on the cake!!!!!!!!!!
llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:42 AM

jfkoc wrote:
Life is never better than when you are with a grandchild. Life can be wonderful but they are the frosting on the cake!!!!!!!!!!
AMEN!

llee08032
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:47 AM

Andrew,

I thought that big orange container of cheese balls was an oddly shaped pumpkin! But yes, I can see that smile and she is a tiny, beautiful gem of a granddaughter that means the world to you! 

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 10:37 AM

Living to see my great grandkids. That's even better. Yes, I've accomplished the feat already. --Jim