RSS Feed Print
Caregiving when there is a family conflict
ecesensei
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2020 3:55 PM

Does anyone in this group have experience with ALZ caregiving when there is a family conflict? This has been more difficult for me than the caregiving for dad. 

JCR329
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2020 8:15 PM

Yes it is very hard and even more stressful when there is family conflict.  I know how you feel.  I  am the one that spends most of my time with my mom.  Then I have 4 other sisters and only 1 really helps and her daughter.  when the other sister come they try to do things different and we try to tell them but they don't listen.  If is very confusing for my mother and if I am there or my other sister she just looks at us with a confused face.  They don't want to listen to us, we know what my mom wants we know all about her meds, we know when she like to nap or when she needs to nap.  So believe me I understand and I'm trying.. Good luck to you..
Jo C.
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 10:30 AM

Hello ecesensei and a very warm welcome to you.  Your situation really is challenging.  I would like to suggest that you Post on either or both the, Caregiver Forum and/or the Spousal/Partner Forum.

This Forum is not well attended, and you will find much, much more input from those who have had experience re the issue you are describing on the other Forums mentioned above.

Also, if you wish to have professional input, the Alzheimer's Assn. has a 24 Hour Helpline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900.  If you call, ask to be transferred to a Care Consultant.  There are no fees for this service. Consultants are highly educated Social Workers who specialize in dementia and family dynamics.  They are good listeners, very supportive, have good information and can often assist us with our problem solving.

I hope to see you on the other Forums where you will get many more responses.

J.

ecesensei
Posted: Sunday, August 2, 2020 6:25 PM

Thank you for your reply. I have been caring for dad for 5 years and understand what he likes and his needs. My sister originally was in denial of the conditions. She now understands he has the condition but not his needs. I have been able to establish meal time routines and care. Dad is also confused. He is entering the late stages and is profoundly deaf and has vision problems. he is losing more language and fine motor skills and needs more help.