RSS Feed Print
A miracle.
abc123
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2021 7:02 PM

Dad is 85, not yet diagnosed.

Mom is 80, stage 7 alz.

Me, 62. If I survive their old age it will be a miracle. A miracle.

I am grateful for zanex.

GothicGremlin
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2021 12:00 AM

That's kind of how I feel about my sister.  I need to out live that girl, and sometimes there are days where I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread.

Tea and chocolate -- and therapy --- help.

abc123
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2021 11:25 AM

Dear Goth, I'm so sorry this happened to your sister! And to you! Lord knows I need a therapist. I don't think I can afford one but I'm looking. My worst fear is coming to pass. My dad seems to be slipping into dementia. I know of no one on his side of the family who had any type of dementia, everyone lived well into old age with a clear, healthy mind. Dad is 85, he suffered two falls this year about 8 months apart and hit his head both times. The stress of caregiving for my mom these past 8 years and the falls, I think it has done great damage. I honestly feel hopeless and that I will not survive. They are 9 hours away because they chose to move over 15 years ago. Over the past few years I have encouraged dad to move closer to home only to be meant with a firm NO! I feel like I am sitting at the bottom of a very deep, very dark hole.
GothicGremlin
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2021 11:17 PM

I'm so sorry about your dad, abc. One parent is rough enough, two must be overwhelming.

I'm like you in that I have no idea where Peggy's Alzheimer's came from, like your dad. I quizzed all of the relatives, we did a genetic test -- nothing. Her diagnosis was a bolt from the blue. All I can think of at this point is pesticides (including benzene).

Therapists are expensive. I use mine sparingly. I write up lists of things I want to talk about so that I squeeze value out of every minute. She's given me a lot of good advice since my sister's diagnosis.

I'm familiar with that deep dark hole, from which there is no escape.  There are ways of temporary escape though. Different things work for different people. For me, my biggest escape is music. I might tend toward goth/industrial, but I listen to a lot of things - Pink Floyd, '80s music like Duran Duran, Gregorian chants -- anything that takes me out of that Alzheimer's space just for a little while. All of it helps. Physical activity also helps, dancing is great, even if it's only in the living room. I'm determined not to let the stress do me in, at least not yet.

Winterswilson
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2021 12:44 PM

I just joined and this is my first post.  My Dad is 87 and Mom is 85. Both of them have had major cognitive decline over the past 2 years.  My Dad was in/out of the hospital for the past 8months- unrelated to dementia and my Mom has had at least 6 seizures  in the past 6 months... they live independently and will not consider assisted living.  I am taking a larger role with both of them and their finances and daily care...it is so stressful and sometimes I am so overwhelmed and I can't imagine it getting better.  I know it will, but it is hard to manage.
abc123
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2021 7:49 PM

Wilson.  I am so sorry. 
alicestevens
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2022 10:59 AM

I am very sorry about that
abc123
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2022 2:46 AM

Wilson, are you okay? I hope you are reading the boards! I also hope you are finding your way while trying to help your parents. They are fortunate to have you.
abc123
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2022 2:55 AM

It's almost 3am and mom has been staring at a blank wall since 1pm this afternoon. Her body is still here, wasting away. What's going on in her mind? I still see her in there. No one else does. I hate this disease. Hate it. She was actually alert this morning and replied yes or no to questions. Her bed faces the window, she watches the birds at the feeder. A blue jay comes everyday. He's huge and beautiful. I watch her watch the birds. How can she still be in there one moment and gone the next? My God! I wish this would end.