RSS Feed Print
Baseball
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 9:59 AM

Today. Is the start of. Great things. For who? LA Dodgers as they battle Jims team. The cubs.

Baseball is a mostly slow moving sport to watch, but it takes my mind off of other more stressing events.

I can still remember being a kid, riding my bike with my baseball mitt on my handlebar, heading out to play a game. Mom would tell me to be back when its dark, and we were safe playing long hours every summer day. Not a care in the world, the possibility of dementia was not  on my radar screen, life was simply having fun as a kid.

So today, sitting in my easy chair, I will watch my favorite childhood team, make the Cubs wish they were back safely in Chicago (safe in Chicago?), and not at Dodger stadium.

Relax Jim, its just a game, were not on the team, but we are true fans, having fun, reliving childhood dreams.

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:11 AM

It's going to take a miracle for the Cubs to prevail over the Dodgers. But hey, I believe in miracles. If it doesn't happen, I'm still grateful that the Cubs got this far. Into the playoffs. --Jim

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 2:51 PM

Baseball is one of the few sports I can enjoy, even if that enjoyment boils down to reading headlines and watching only a few minutes of a game on the television. The reason ? Because it is so slow. Everything else goes too fast. I guess I'm a slow motion kind of guy. I like having the time to consider my options. The one ball game I can remember as a kid was when my dad took me to Candlestick Park to see the Giants. They were his team, since the Oakland A's were a long way off yet. I don't remember the game itself, but I do remember the hot dog. I didn't like the mustard. No options available, as I recall. It was Gulden's, period. I have no idea who won that game, but I sure do remember that dog. Yucch !
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, October 15, 2017 10:30 PM

Learning to deal with disappointments. Maybe that’s the key to a happy life. No doubt about it, I’ve had disappointments. Doesn’t everyone? I keep telling myself. Take each disappointment in stride. By keeping track of the times when I wasn’t disappointed. When stuff worked out. To great satisfaction. Like last year, when the Chicago Cubs won the World Series. There’s a chance I’m going to be disappointed this time around. But hey, I’ll remind myself.  The Cubs still have a good team. It’s unrealistic to expect the Cubs to go all the way every year. Yes, I refuse to be disappointed. If the Cubs fall short. Instead, I’ll look forward to waiting for next year. In a happy frame of mind. --Jim

Andrew60
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 10:03 AM

Yes Chris, ballpark hotdogs were my favorite as a kid in the many games I watched the Angels play.

Jim, the Cubs ARE the current world champs, so no matter what happens, its another good year for them especially when you consider how bad they started off this season. I like the Cubs, and Ernie Banks and Ron Santo were a few of my favorite players as a kid. But, they are playing my home team, so I have to root against them.

After being a huge NFL fan for over five decades, I quit watching them this year, so baseball and college football is my focus. Watching sports helps me relax, and forget about other issues.

annie789
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2017 8:32 PM

Hi guys!  I love baseball too but my team, the KC Royals,  is not in it this year.  I was sure rooting for them to make it -- make a miracle to get there again. 

But since they are not in it I have been rooting for the Cubs to beat the Dodgers and Houston to beat the Yankees. 

I remember back in the day, watching my favorite teams, the Cardinals and the Orioles.  I would set up the ironing board in the living room in front of the TV and watch whenever there was a game on.  That of course was in the early 1960's before the Royals.