RSS Feed Print
Give me old-fashioned leeway.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 8:53 AM

Leeway. That’s my word of the day. I want leeway. Especially when I sit down. And write my thoughts.  And post ‘em. Particularly, in my blog. Which I do. Virtually every day.  Some people tell me. I don’t want to hear your thoughts. Well, that’s easily accomplished. Don’t read what I write. I might get up on a soap box, too. In a public park. And tout my political views. I’m really asking for. A little bit of leeway. . To express myself. In a reasonable manner. About almost anything.  For those who don’t like such boldness. Ignore me. Meanwhile, I’ll grant others leeway. To disagree. Politely. Yes. Yes. I’m concerned. That we’ve lost, as a society, the practice. Of granting almost everyone. A fair-mannered hearing. When all it takes. Is old-fashioned leeway. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:20 AM

Ah, but the purpose of your expression is what?

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 10:30 AM

Seems to me that much of life doesn't have a purpose. Is a purpose required? We have designed a largely purposeless society. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 11:28 AM

Yes, I think all of our choices are the result of purpose (note lowercase purpose). Would you accept "reason" instead?
Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:51 AM

Try as hard as I can, still I cant stay away.

Jim, you have your own blog, so why cant you limit you political views to that site. Who does it benfit by posting on here your views? This is a forum for dementia, and the wonderful caregivers whom you were once one.

For the record, I do enjoy most of your posts, with the exception of politics.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:36 AM

I love the abundance of life, Andy. Sometimes I can’t restrain myself. I try to not make the scope of life too narrow. When I was down. Emotionally. In my role as care-giver. It was a mistake. To be focused on a single mission. I needed diversions. We all do. Something else to muse about. To pull us through. Musing. Musing. About any and everything. Can be helpful. Of course, I’m speaking mostly to care-givers. Your situation may be a little different. Than that of a care-giver. But still, you need diversion. You’ve found some of that. In your exchange with me. I think you and I are helping each other. Even when we don’t think so. I have a good feeling about you. And most of the time, I think you have a good feeling about me. It’s a win-win situation. --Jim

Andrew60
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:02 AM

Jim - There is a part of me that would love to debate politics with you, but facts only, not opinions of the talking heads on TV news shows. However, I just dont believe this is the forum for doing so.
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:58 AM

Jim...and so you muse...you sometimes discuss so I ask again purpose? reason?

I do agree that there are loftier things to discuss than the state of the union.

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:10 AM

Yes. Yes, jfkoc. I have a purpose. And over-riding reasons. To be. Rather than not to be. Mainly, it’s the pursuit of happiness. I know who and what I am. And how to achieve my goals. I proclaim it. Every time I hand out my business card. My identity card. I have become a romantic idealist. A spiritual free-thinker. A political liberal. A lover. A dreamer. A writer. I proclaim it here. And everywhere. Daily. This is me. A guy in perpetual pursuit of happiness. And I find it. Time and time again. Even when I have moments of despair. I still go to bed. Every night.  With ample reason to be happy. I fall asleep. Knowing that I will wake. And still be me. Thank gawd. An updated and evolving version. But always headed. In the right direction. To the end of the rainbow. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 10:01 AM

Judith: Ah, but the purpose of your expression here is what?

Jim: Is a purpose required? 

Judith: Yes, I think all of our choices are the result of purpose (note lowercase purpose). Would you accept "reason" instead?

Not asking for an overall expression of your raison  d'etre. Just asking about the purpose of  your expressing yourself here.

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2018 8:54 PM

Here. I like to muse about life, period. Stuff that’s meaningful. To me.  And hopefully, to others. How to weather the storms of life. By diversifying. By not being totally consumed by one’s immediate role. As care-giver. Or the recipient of care. By broadening one’s perspective on life. And making the best of one’s situation. I like to remind care-givers that there’s life after care-giving. And that there’s much to be savored in the act of care-giving. Wow!! What a learning experience. It’s done me much good. I hope the same goes for you, each and everyone. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 11:23 AM

Ah, such a crazy world. In the end, I always find reason to love it. Rather than leave it. --Jim
MPSunshine
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 5:22 PM

Nice sentiments. I will speak for myself in saying that full time work and care for my persons leaves me little time to muse. Mostly my musing is internal. I understand my purpose just fine.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2018 12:03 AM

You do us all a favor, Nadine. If you muse out loud. Right here. I like it. When you share yourself. Makes me feel good. About you. And gets me thinking. Stimulated. --Jim
abc123
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 1:51 AM

Oh Jim, I miss you. 

May you Rest In Peace.

chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, September 8, 2021 1:37 PM

You aren't the only one who misses him, abc.

There was certain comfort to be found down here in the basement, since one could almost always count on something from Jim here, whether it was a simple statement of his day's activities, or one of his " devil's advocate " statements.

He truly wanted not much more from us other than to have an open discussion, and his range of topics was as far reaching as the most profound thinkers in history - albeit perhaps on a smaller scale.

Whatever one thought of Jim, you knew in advance that he was only here to promote thought and expression.

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2021 1:32 AM

Aww Jim… the ol’ leeway guy. Miss him too…

Bit tipsy right now and not sure what  I got myself into …every once and a while look into musings and see something about Jim so I post … 

Times are weird for me right now but dad still alive and kicking….my nephew I don’t know why I got myself to worry about him and his mess. 

Anyone hear from Deb? Missher??

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2021 1:42 AM

Oh!! I’m surprised I remembered my password here!! That’s a real good sign! Because I haven’t signed in here in ages!

I want to share I hate my life! But I’m a lucky gal and should appreciate what I haves! I hope that makes lots of sense ! Good night !!

w/e
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2021 3:43 PM

Yeah! Neurones still working... I too was able to remember the password. Like our Ruth, for some unknown reason, I wandered into the Agora this p.m. to catch a glimpse and to take a read. 

Lo and behold! Our old chap Jim, may he Rest In Peace, came in also for a wee chat. Oh, I miss him, dearly. His insightful wisdom in many fronts was for me manna from heaven. They were/are treasures to read and think about. And, his love for one and all here at Alzconnected was bountiful. And palpable. That is why I love him so. 

Well, my old friend, you have now all the old-fashioned leeway you have desired ... You reside now in the heaven above all heavens. To chat about the One and the Many. And to discuss this, that, and the other. To your heart's content. In endless chats with your Creator. After listening attentively to you, I can hear the other gods saying, "Hear, hear!... Bravo!... ¡Olé!"

My two and a half cents...Ruth, sometimes, the here-and-now is dark. Very dark... When it is dark we could be driven to despair... We experience the dark nights of the soul when we feel that we are losing all hope... During those very dark moments, we tend to say,  "I hate my life." And we add a few swear words to accompany our cry...  But... when we begin to dig deeply, we discover that Life is Being. And doing. We realize that we exist. That we give meaning to Life in spite of momentary existential excrement. No matter how stinky it is... Yes. We can sprinkle a few drops of splendid essential oils into our smelly life. Some-how... I believe that we sculpt Life. We give shape to Life. We make of Life a beautiful creation... Ruth, you have good karma. I believe that you are lucky because you are a good human being. 

Best regards,  

LadyTexan
Posted: Saturday, September 18, 2021 8:32 AM

Greetings all.

I haven't visited musings in a while. I also miss Jim and his musings.

Best wishes to you all for a wonderful week.

Donjalar
Posted: Friday, October 1, 2021 11:27 AM

Thank you, I agree, a little leeway, goes a long way sometimes.