RSS Feed Print
Cutie says...
ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2020 8:57 PM

....”they’re not good news anyway”

And with his usual Hispanic accent.

This was when I was about to shave  his face awhile ago and after I told him, “I’m gonna turn on the news. You wanna hear the good news?”

I don’t understand how he is quick to respond like that. Sometimes his response to me matches what I’m talking about. I’m not sure if he’s connecting more to what I’m feeling and my expressions or he just knows what to say. 

And how is it he still understands some English? I don’t think he knew any  English until he was maybe 16? 17?  But, it seems to me he’s  back around 7 years of age or younger? Or maybe  20 or younger? -that’s when he’s flirting though.

It’s interesting.

ladyzetta
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:28 PM

Ruth,   Your Dad is so cute. I bet he is fun to be around, at least most of the time. He is so lucky to have a daughter like you, and you can tell him I said that, you can also till him I said he is cute.    Hugs to Both of You.
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2020 10:25 PM

Oh! Thank you Zetta! I’ll tell him for you (with caution though, because  he gets too spoiled).

;o)

abc123
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2020 10:09 PM

HI Ruth!

I was just checking in on you and Mr Cutie! I hope you are both doing as well as possible. Covid sucks and I'm worried I may completely lose my mind. It's all gotten to be too much.

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 12:50 AM

Hello abc123! Me and Mr. Cutie are still doing ok thank you.

I’m just a little down with all the stuff going on. I’m sick of seeing businesses closed and workers suffering. I still have a job, but it concerns me about the others. 

To me, I think we should know by now how to care for ourselves if we really want to. It’s up to us. My opinion.

I assume if this keeps going as is, people will revolt! Won’t blame them.

However, today I decided to use tips of positivity from frito lay chips at work. Lately, Ive been buying variety bags of lunch size chips and consume the whole pack in less than two days. Recently I finally noticed that the bags have little notes on them encouraging the consumer to act with kindness. The notes say something like “be kind today...stand up for someone or tell someone you appreciate them....“ stuff like that. I have a picture of it but I’m having trouble attaching the photo.

Anyway, after bickering last Friday about people at work and then today about someone else’s work, I decided I should be nice. I thought to myself I should consider other people might be under stress and if I cause someone’s heart attack I would feel awful for being so critical.  So I decided to begin telling people at work “you are a nice person!” And “that’s good work!” Or to the fellas “has anyone told you YOU look handsome today?!”

Now I’m just waiting to get called into HR for harassment. I’m not sure if telling someone “you look handsome” is a bad thing.

So, still trying to hang in there, trying not to get in an accident in the highway (universities are closed and less traffic so people drive nuts in CA, it’s like everyone is on pot on something) and eating many bags of lunch size chips every day.

Hang in there abc123.  That’s all we can do I guess

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 2:50 PM

Hello Ruthie, is is a very complex and really difficult time and you have caregiving on top of work and everything else.  You have been doing the best you can under difficult circumstances.  Sometimes it seems as though we are in a bad movie, but there is that darned reality.

We worry about our LOs and ourselves, about other people, businesses, the economy, the schools opening, the unemployed which is heartbreaking, and have so much other negativity going on around the country; yet in all of this there are those who rise to the occasion and  are trying in whatever way they can; big or small, to make a difference and they are such a blessing.

Seems best to inform oneself by one news program and then not dwell further as the news is most often a large depressing wealth of mostly only the negative and if dwelled on can drag a person down..  Informed but not overwelmed.

We are nowhere near opening up the country and opening it permanently.   Some countries have done really very well and are opening and managing everything on a strict oversight management program basis.  What they all had in common was that the mandated national measures to contain the virus for their countries was managed from the very top of the government; whether Prime Minister, President, or other. It was that absolute point at which mandates were issued for the entire country all as one,  all based on science that has done them well.   In our country; that was not the way it was done, so it is all over the board and nothing stays the same.  We will need not only the science, but the buy-in by all or most all of the citizens; when approach is done with mandates from the top for a period of several weeks or so, a difference will be the reward and the first steps to recovery. Still will need oversight; but that oversight catches anything popping up very quickly. 

One cannot contain one state different from another as people move around the country and certainly from county to county.   Some states have very little assistance for those stuck in a dread condition; some states, California being one, are trying and making an effort.

Most of us who have a roof over our head, food in the cupboard, health insurance, are so very thankful.  I feel terrible about the situation for so many who have lost jobs, whose housing is in jeopardy and who have no money for food; it is heart wrenching.  It is good to donate to food banks and to other needs even if seems like a grain of sand in the face of so much; but every little bit does help.

You are awesome for picking up on kindness and giving that gift to others; what a lovely thing to do and it is so, "Ruthie.".   Such tiny offerings really do make a difference.

We will find our way, but it is going to take some time. In the meantime, being kind, being compassionate, being part of the solution by using best practices as science informs us, is uplifting.  Sometimes lifting others up begins to lift us up too.

So dear Ruthie, take good care and also give yourself a pat on the back for all you do to make a difference. And of course, give Mr. Cutie a big hug from all of us too.

J..

ruthmendez
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 11:25 PM

Jo C. wrote:

We will find our way, but it is going to take some time. In the meantime, being kind, being compassionate, being part of the solution by using best practices as science informs us, is uplifting.  Sometimes lifting others up begins to lift us up too.

Thank you Jo C.  Once again I tried attaching a photo of my chips, but the file is too large.  Anyway, I've decided to name the  positive days the "Frito Lay Days".  Actually, I sent an email to a co-worker today with that subject title.  It included a copy of an email chain from me and another worker communicating back and forth trying to get things done our way and trying not to turn red.  I was able to (we were able to) not get angry and frustrated.  It was a success!  
So, with sarcasm, I was asked, "how are YOU feeling Ruth?"   
Too funny.  I will continue my Frito Lay Days and spread words of positivity.  I wonder how long Frito Lays been doing that?  Maybe  a very long time...I just barely noticed.  I'm always behind.
And you're right, too much news is overwhelming.  I'm listening to both sides and I'm not content in either.  Cynical of it all. \

And today, I decided to stay in the slower lanes.  I felt more safe behind the trailer truck.  I'm just not a courageous driver anymore.  No more middle fingers and I will start flipping peace signs from now on.  

I sure will give Cutie his big hug (and he gets kisses too).

Thx Jo C.