RSS Feed Print
Political Thread: Describe your political philosophy
lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 8:45 PM

To steal something that someone said on twitter, "I support capitalism, individual rights and limited government."

That sums up me. What sums up you?

ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 9:47 PM

I don't take part in political threads. That sums me up. Zetta
lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:46 PM

Just curious, Zetta, do you find it harder to avoid politics today?
ladyzetta
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 10:50 PM

I have just never been one to get into politics. I know that is not good but thats just one less thing I need to worry about and discuss with people.
lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 11:25 PM

I am glad you have been able to avoid politics. I think that is optimal. I hope it continues to be the case for you.
Stuck in the middle
Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 11:41 PM

Discussing politics and religion is pretty much an academic exercise, since we aren't going to change our minds.  I will die believing what I heard in my Church when I was young, and you will die believing what you heard in your Church when you were young, and debate serves no purpose other than perhaps to encourage Bible study as we look up references to reinforce our prejudices.  Politics is the same.

My political philosophy is pretty much practicality, tempered by a measure of Christianity.  All of the isms sound good on paper, but all of them fail the tests of practicality and humanity when applied literally.  

lizziepooh
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 12:13 AM

Stuck in the middle wrote:

All of the isms sound good on paper, but all of them fail the tests of practicality and humanity when applied literally.  

It is not hard to pass this test. You just need to understand human nature and have common sense, then argue a position out to the absurd, the extreme. The truth of issues lies in there, I think.

LadyTexan
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 2:14 PM

Greetings lizziepooh.

I try to avoid political discussions as they have a tendency to evolve into political arguments. I value honesty. I believe in the Golden Rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you). I believe in personal responsibility. I recommend kindness. 

I am uncomfortable with the political divide that has grown and become increasingly ugly.

I am greatly disturbed that a candidate is exhibiting symptoms of cognitive impairment (in my opinion). I have watched my DH become impaired by Alzheimer's Disease. He lost his ability to handle the responsibilities needed in his real estate career. Math became problematic. Organizational skills were lost. Writing skills were lost. Effectively using technology became a great challenge. As a result he can no longer work. My DH reluctantly and sadly gave up a career he loved.

When I see the current candidate struggle expressing his message and facts my heart breaks. I also become angry because the candidate is auditioning for a critical position that requires effective problem solving and diplomacy skills that may be challenging for someone with MCI. If a candidate with mental impairment is elected, the country could be at risk. Is anyone else concerned about the candidate's cognitive ability? 

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, August 9, 2020 2:44 PM

LadyTexan wrote:

...Is anyone else concerned about the candidate's cognitive ability? 

Yes! Very much so. It’s very unfortunate.  

lizziepooh
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 9:00 PM

I have noticed this was not talked about here but that does not surprise me. Most democrats do not know about it or dismiss it as right BS. I figure, it is only a matter of time before it becomes apparent and part of the national discourse. This disease marches on despite our best efforts or intentions.

It will be interesting to see which people admit it is an issue or which people still provide cover. If anyone tries to justify suspending debates, I would treat their thinking as suspect. People should hear their candidates debate each other, they should at least get that.

Stuck in the middle
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 9:24 PM

I think, in a country of 300M people, we could have found at least one candidate who isn't too old for the job.  Our elections are far too money driven for our own good, and we are faced with a choice between old and older.

OTOH, President Reagan held the job with Alzheimer's and we survived.

lizziepooh
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 10:59 PM

Even if one was to agree Reagan had Alzheimer's while President (debateable), there is a big difference between knowingly voting a President that is compromised into office vs than keeping a President that is compromised. Yes?

And what does it say about the Democrats that their best pick is good ole Joe? That is funny and talk worthy all by itself, I think.

LadyTexan
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 8:24 AM

I don't think it is funny. I think it is very sad. In my opinion, his party plans to use him like a puppet. I consider that behavior exploiting someone who is elderly and/or impaired.

Its possible the candidate is following his heart and doing what he wants to do. 

My DH wants to do so many things that he is no longer able to do. For example, driving, using the stove, shopping on-line unsupervised. As a caregiver, I keep three 3 things in mind, when DH attempts to do something I consider risky:

• Safety
  • Independence
  • Dignity

Then I balance the risk. If necessary, I step in to direct him to something else and if necessary prevent him from proceeding. That was the case with driving.

I'm disturbed that Mr. Biden's political party and the candidate's loved ones allow this to continue. For me it is not a political topic. I think it is an important caregiver consideration.

The considerations are:

1. when does a caregiver step in to protect the safety and dignity of the impaired person?
  2. is the impaired adult being exploited, and if so, how can the exploitation be stopped?

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 2:23 PM

1.   I have not heard one word about Joe Biden's competence except from Trump's mouth. Please cite what you are referring to.

2.   I do not at age 79 believe what I learned in church as a child.

3.  " If a candidate with mental impairment is elected, the country could be at risk. Is anyone else concerned about the candidate's cognitive ability?"   We did elect one and look where we are so yes, I say as a life log Republican and new member of the Lincoln Project, I am more than cocnerned about re-eleting a person with known cognative problems.

4.   It is tempting to not discuss politics ad usually do not but I am frightened at what has happened to our country, to our legal system, to our sense of morality. I  now choose to speak out about my fears.

5.   I would rather a puppet than a man who acts like he is king. 

My political philosophy? It takes a team no matter which party.

Rescue mom
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 3:17 PM

Omg I am laughing so hard,  kind of, at myself....I don’t think my jaw has ever dropped so far or so hard—or my head spun so far—by anything I’ve seen on social media, ever anywhere, as by a couple things here! And that’s saying something....

Maybe it’s parody? Or irony? It’s hard for me to tell these days. The absurdities never end. 

But c’mon jfroc, I’m pretty sure some adult children—you know, the ones who got in trouble for “misusing” a children’s cancer charity—have also questioned “the candidate’s” ability.

But now I have to go see whether we got any mail today, or whether its piled up in a sorting facility somewhere, along with meds and bills. Let’s see, who’s in charge now? Most all who come to mind are either in jail or facing felony charges. Makes it hard to find help.

At least, as a Republican supervoter and prior donor, I’ve had some fun with recent pollsters and fundraisers who seem to think that party trumps country.

LadyTexan
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 5:34 PM

My concern about Mr. Biden's cognitive problems are based on my observations of his interviews. 

I have seen Mr. Biden lose his train of thought (which happens to everyone, including me).  I have watched him incorrectly recite statistics about COVID-19 cases. I have observed Mr. Biden ask a member of the media if the reporter was tested for using cocaine. I have observed him use phrases, similar to my husband, when he is unable to think of the word, "you know, the thing". Everyone mispeaks, but not everyone is auditioning to be the president. 

I am seeing great similarities between Mr. Biden and symptoms I observed in my husband. I can not cite a resource. These are simply my observations. As a reminder, I was clear in my prior post that it is my opinion. I am not a health care provider.

ALZConnected Moderator
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 5:46 PM

Dear ALZConnected Community, 

This thread has been locked. 

This space is critical to ensure individuals impacted by Alzheimer's and dementia have a safe place to share their questions, concerns and get support.  Please keep your posts relevant to these topics and refrain from posting derogatory messages, name calling, insults, personal attacks or political partisan comments that disparage a political figure, party or ideology.  

ALZConnected 
moderators reserve the right to remove any posts that they deem are in violation of our Guidelines for Participation.  

Please accept this post as a reminder of our 
Guidelines for ParticipantsTerms & Conditions, and clarifications surrounding Covid-19 from our post: A Message from the Alzheimer's Association during Covid-19.  

Thank you for respecting these guidelines and the needs of our community.