RSS Feed Print
Younger onset
Judisan
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2022 8:21 AM

Hello amazing people, my dear friend has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer at 51.
bull dog
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2022 7:47 PM

Hello Judisan,  Your friend is fortunate to have you for a friend. It is good to learn about Alzhemer's so that you will be better able to understand and  help your friend.
Matthew Baire
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 4:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis, but glad you can be there for him. I'm new here and was wondering what age is considered early onset? I was diagnosed last year with vascular dementia at age 57.
Amy Joy
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 6:24 PM

About two years ago or so I was having memory problems. My doctor did many tests. I’m showing signs of memory loss and mental decline on tests. I was diagnosed with early onset dementia at age of 49.
Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2022 3:16 PM

Welcome Amy Joy; you have found a place where you will be understood and receive support from others who truly understand.

Matthew, Early Onset is considered if the onset of dementia was under 65 years of age.   If one has been medically diagnosed with dementia and it is early onset; if the age of the person, is 66 years old or younger, then one can apply for a Compassionate Allowance for Social Security benefits.  With Compassionate Allowance criteria, that application is processed very, very quickly; usually within a few weeks to two months.  Here is a link that discusses that for those who were not aware.

https://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/

J.