RSS Feed Print
Frustrated with people
Love animals
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:07 AM

I HAD to go to the store yesterday to get a credit on my card (they charged me $95 twice on a recent pickup order). I am 67 and my mom who lives with me is 92. DH is in MC. I was so upset to see Soooo many people not wearing a mask!!!! I have tried so hard to stay safe from the virus then this!! Old and young not wearing a mask probably 90%. I’m just so upset with people!!

Also haven’t seen DH since very early March. He doesn’t know me and hasn’t for several years. Anyway I did a FaceTime with DH on Thursday. DH can’t talk so I just talked about family and animals. No facial expression at all until I mentioned our 3 year old granddaughter. Why is life so sad? Why is life so lonely? Just need a hug!! Sorry everyone I’m just really sad this morning! 

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:29 AM

Morning Love Animals,

I love the picture of your horse.  I haven't been anywhere since March 7 so really don't know how it is here.  My cousin's husband is out and around a lot and he says some people are wearing masks - guess I'll see in the morning.  I have to take Lilly, our cat and Barclee, our Shih Tzu to the vet and will go on into town, just a mile, to Atwoods.  Guess I'll go to the grocery store tomorrow.  I'm not ready to be out and among people yet.  Like you, I don't understand why they don't wear their masks - guess they think they're invincible and nothing will happen to them.  I think almost everything in our State is going to open up tomorrow - worries me.   Sorry you had to go into a store.  Maybe if we wear our masks it'll be okay.

Ed1937
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 9:29 AM

I understand your frustration. We live next to a bike trail, where many people walk or job, as well as ride. Like you, it seems like 90% of the people I see walking by are not wearing masks or social distancing. 

Yesterday I went to the store for the first time since lockdown. Almost everyone there was wearing a mask, and I felt pretty safe. In contrast, I had to go to Auto Zone this morning. Although no customers were in there with me, the guy checking me out was not wearing a mask. There are three auto parts stores within a half block, and I won't be going back to Auto Zone anytime soon.

Lorita
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 10:00 AM

Hi,

Do you all think our frustration at people not wearing masks and not being more careful  could stem from the fact that  we're a bit older and think more about fragility of life than the younger people?   I haven't been anywhere for over three months - I'll be going to the store tomorrow or next day and I will be wearing my mask and gloves.  Our grocery store has senior time between 7 and 8 a.m. - I won't be there that early because I have to go by the vets between 8 and 8:30 and I'll go to the store afterwards.  So, I hope there aren't many people in there.  It's a small grocery store and I know where everything is and I always have a list so shouldn't have to be in there too long.  I dread it.  Don't know if I'll remember how to act in town because it's been so long.  I know when we're younger we tend to think we're invincible and we'll last forever - it won't happen to us.

Either tomorrow or next day I'll have to go to Atwoods and it's been crowded with people all through this.  My cousin's husband is in town every two or three days - he's in his 80s and doesn't wear a mask and doesn't seem to be afraid of being around people.  If everyone would be more careful, it would be safer for all of us.

Crushed
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 12:19 PM

In Germany you can see WWII masks for horses

.. The mask goes on the front the horse.

The Horse's "butt" does not have a mask on.

File Attachment(s):
WWII horse mask.jpg (22160 bytes)

Donr
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:17 PM

Crushed, why are butts always looked down upon. Where would we be without them.
ScottyTom
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:32 PM

Seems it's always the horse's butts who refuse to wear a mask...
dayn2nite2
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 1:46 PM

There are "recommendations" for people to wear them, but there almost certainly is not a law decreeing this.

It's the store's option to enforce or not.  Sounds like the store doesn't.

I won't wear one unless the store refuses me entry.  Then I'll take it out of my pocket and wear it.

The stores do have "vulnerable shopper" hours, perhaps you should go during that time, it's usually early in the morning once or twice a week.  

Call me whatever you like, it's a choice and I choose not to.

White Crane
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 2:26 PM

I've only been in a store a couple of times since the shelter at home started.  It was Walmart and not too many were wearing masks.  I tried to keep my distance...and I was wearing a mask!  I'm sorry you had such an upsetting experience and people weren't wearing masks.  Life is hard enough without others acting foolish and endangering others.

60 falcon
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:06 PM

Many of the folks that have masks wear them improperly (not covering noses,  not secured at the bottom, large gaps around the edges, hanging around their neck, etc.). The experts tell us the masks are for protection of others and that there is little protection gained by the person wearing one from others. If that is true, there's not much benefit since so many don't wear them.
Crushed
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:50 PM

Masks protect other people 

Surgeons wear masks to protect patients.

Not wearing one is a great way to scream

I won't accept the slightest inconvenience to protect  you

If you want to estimate risk range think how far you can smell a smoker exhale. that is a rough gauge  of covid 19 risk range.

60 falcon
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:00 PM

I agree. It frustrates me too when we're wearing our masks and are surrounded by so many who don't. I hate the things and sometimes feel foolish, but we wear them anyway.
dayn2nite2
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:00 PM

Crushed wrote:

If you want to estimate risk range think how far you can smell a smoker exhale. that is a rough gauge  of covid 19 risk range.

Again, they are not anything but a recommendation where I shop.  If you’re afraid you should stay home or shop during the specially designated hours.

If I’m in a store with 100 people, 95 of them not wearing, there’s no reason to.  If I go in and there’s a sign stating masks must be worn, I do it.

You are responsible for YOU, not me.  

dayn2nite2
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:03 PM

60 falcon wrote:
I agree. It frustrates me too when we're wearing our masks and are surrounded by so many who don't. I hate the things and sometimes feel foolish, but we wear them anyway.
If there is an order that masks must be worn indoors in a public area, then tell a manager.
If there isn’t, then you should stay out of that store.  You could also shop at a place where masks are required, if there is such a place in your area.

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 4:29 PM

I do not wear one because I am afraid. I wear one just in case I am a shedder..

Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States has recently recommended everyone wear a (cloth) mask. However, this is to prevent infected people passing on the infection, not to prevent the wearer getting infected.

What earthly reason would I not participate joining in on what may be an excellent way to not infect another human being and by doing that I am part of what may be the best fight against this disease.

Since the virus can be spread by persons who have no symptoms and/or before they have symptoms I feel morally and ethically bound to put on my mask and to additionally maintain social distancing and will do so until the scientists and medical people say it does no good.

Jeff86
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 5:23 PM

dayn2nite2 wrote:

Not taking the bait to call you anything, but since you’ve staked out a position, perhaps you would share the basis for your choice.

Crushed
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 5:41 PM

dayn2nite2 wrote:
Crushed wrote:

Again, they are not anything but a recommendation where I shop.  If you’re afraid you should stay home or shop during the specially designated hours.

If I’m in a store with 100 people, 95 of them not wearing, there’s no reason to.  If I go in and there’s a sign stating masks must be worn, I do it.

You are responsible for YOU, not me.  

I've taught safety regulation all my career.  Self centered behavior with no regard for other people is the bane of our existence.    Frankly this is why we have such an infection problem.  Public health requires that we look out for one another.  Whether with a gun, a car or a virus one arrogant self centered person can do enormous harm to many other people.  Countries to survive either have to create a culture of people taking care for one another  or an expensive intrusive regulatory system that forces  people to act in a socially responsible away. I've been told "I dont care about people  in nursing homes , if they cant protect themselves they should die.

When we do engineering we examine the culture.  Cooperative cultures can have cheaper buildings

Wish2Roam
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:42 PM

I wear a mask because it's the easiest thing I have to do every day, and I might just by chance be protecting someone who has a vulnerable friend or relative at home. 

Am I afraid I might catch this little bug?, you bet I am.....not for my sake, I'd most likely survive it.  But, then there is the dear man who lives with me who has FTD.  Who would take care of him if I had to stay in bed for a couple of days, or if I had to be hospitalized for a day or so.  It's just the two of us, no family.  I can ask a neighbor or friend to keep an eye on him if I need to run an errand....but, I could hardly ask them to babysit him if he was exposed to the virus.  So, I thank all those who do wear a mask, you might be protecting me and, by extension, my DH with dementia.

SuzD
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 6:48 PM

I am deeply saddened by the divide in this country , now it seems to mask or not to mask has created another divide.  This group of once supportive friends is now also divided  on this issue and seems to be attacking each other on their choices.   I’m not a horses butt or trying to endanger others by choosing to not wear a mask.  

I respect all of your choices and wish you all peace and good health.  Just when I feel like I need y’all most, I’m taking a break from you. I’m out, at least for awhile.  

Kay J
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 7:31 PM

My motto for all of this is “don’t judge.” I don’t wear a mask anymore unless it’s required. I’ve had the virus and recovered. I test negative now. I am asthmatic and have trouble breathing with a mask. So I don’t wear mask. And I don’t judge others because I don’t know their story.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:10 PM

day n2 nite wrote:

"Call me whatever you like, it's a choice and I choose not to.

Not taking the bait to call you anything, but since you’ve staked out a position, perhaps you would share the basis for your choice."

I have no intent to bait you.

Happy to provide my basis for my position. The first part is in my post. It is from the CDC. I did not insert a link but will if you ask me too. Part 2 and 3 are below;

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/social-distancing.html#:~:text=Stay%20at%20least%206%20feet,while%20school%20is%20out.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/heres-how-wearing-a-cloth-mask-helps-fight-the-spread-of-coronavirus  

Crushed
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2020 8:57 PM

Kay J wrote:
My motto for all of this is “don’t judge.” I don’t wear a mask anymore unless it’s required. I’ve had the virus and recovered. I test negative now. I am asthmatic and have trouble breathing with a mask. So I don’t wear mask. And I don’t judge others because I don’t know their story.

did you test positive ?

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=234280

dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 12:20 AM

Jeff86 wrote:
dayn2nite2 wrote:

Not taking the bait to call you anything, but since you’ve staked out a position, perhaps you would share the basis for your choice.

Any cloth mask isn’t protecting anyone from anything.  That’s all there is to it.  It’s stupid.

Donr
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 5:01 AM

If you are going into any store in my area it's put on a mask or leave. Simple
Crushed
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 5:34 AM

dayn2nite2 wrote:
Jeff86 wrote:
dayn2nite2 wrote:

CLAIM
"Any cloth mask isn’t protecting anyone from anything.  That’s all there is to it.  It’s stupid."

FROM THE MAYO CLINIC

Can face masks help prevent the spread of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19? Yes, face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as frequent hand-washing and social distancing, help slow the spread of the virus.

Cloth masks

While surgical and N95 masks are in short supply and must be reserved for health care providers, cloth masks are easy to find and can be washed and reused.

Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the coronavirus by people who have COVID-19 but don't realize it. And countries that required face masks, testing, isolation and social distancing early in the pandemic seem to have had some success slowing the spread of the virus.

Cloth masks are cheap and simple to make. Instructions are easy to find online. Masks can be made from common materials, such as sheets made of tightly woven cotton. The CDC website even includes directions for no-sew masks made from bandannas and T-shirts. Cloth masks should include multiple layers of fabric.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Does that help?

dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 9:16 AM

Crushed, I'm not even reading all that bull.  A piece of cloth that's riding around in my pocket isn't helping anyone.

I also already stated that when a store requires me to wear it, out it comes and I wear it to get what I need.  It comes back off once outside the store.

I'm fulfilling the requirement when I have to.  That's all.
Gig Harbor
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:35 AM

Why did you ask Crushed for his reasons and then say you weren’t going to read that “bull”? If you do happen to get Covid be sure to tell the hospital staff how you don’t want to wear a mask so that they won’t waste an oxygen mask on you. Do you wear a seat belt in a car and on a plane when instructed to? Do you wear shoes in a restaurant because you are told to? Why is wearing a mask to help protect other people such an infringement on your rights? It is not going to last forever.
dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:45 AM

Gig Harbor wrote:
Why did you ask Crushed for his reasons and then say you weren’t going to read that “bull”? If you do happen to get Covid be sure to tell the hospital staff how you don’t want to wear a mask so that they won’t waste an oxygen mask on you. Do you wear a seat belt in a car and on a plane when instructed to? Do you wear shoes in a restaurant because you are told to? Why is wearing a mask to help protect other people such an infringement on your rights? It is not going to last forever.

I didn't ask him for his reasons.  SOMEONE ASKED ME WHY I DO AND DO NOT WEAR A MASK.

I wear a seatbelt in a car because it's the law.

I wear shoes in a restaurant because they require it.

AS I SAID, I wear a mask when the store requires it.  If they do not (and there are stores that don't require it in my area) I DON'T WEAR ONE.

Good Lord.  I don't like them and they don't protect ANYONE.  

Gig Harbor
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 10:56 AM

Actually you asked him to share the basis for his choice.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:07 AM

Oops I thought dayn2 post was aimed at me when she claimed that I was baiting her and asked for me to provide the basis for my position....I did. Crushed also provided medical information from the Mayo Clinic to which she replied that she was not going to read all that bull.........

So why bother asking if you are truly not interested and do not even pretend to read the answers? You are just going to respond "Bull". Nothing learned...no convesrsation. Beats me. I won't  bother in the future....lol

Jeff86
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:25 AM

This reminds me of the quote from Daniel Patrick Moynihan.  “You’re entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts.”

Done.  Stepping away from this sorrowful dialog.  The rejection of expertise is very worrisome.

Lorita
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:32 AM

Just one little thing I want to add:  I wear a mask because I want to and I feel it does protect me.  Why wouldn't it work both ways?  If it makes a person feel better to wear one they should wear it - for their protection as well as other people's protection.  I went into town this morning for the first time in over three months and I wore a mask.  Many people were wearing them - some were not.  It's their choice unless a requirement of the store, city or State but as for me and my house - I'll continue to wear a mask until all of this is over.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:38 AM

Why is anyone here even surprised by this poster. I am not. That is exactly what I would expect. I could  not care about my self getting corvid. I only wear a mask so I don’t spread it as I care for others.  

Crushed
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 11:55 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.  

This is a support group  If someone says feeding dog poop to your loved one will cure alzheimer's  we don't just let it go.    

Saying masks don't work is a statement of scientific fact.  (and easily refuted)

Explaining that cloth masks protect other people not the wearer is a statement of fact

dayn2nite2
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2020 12:02 PM

Gig Harbor wrote:
Actually you asked him to share the basis for his choice.
No, Jeff86 typed in the quote area by mistake.  That’s him asking me the question.  I don’t care what Crushed has to say about anything.