RSS Feed Print
Doctor's Visits: Advice?
AmyArizona2020
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 11:25 PM

Mom has her first CT Scan (the doctor initially said MRI, but said we could also have a CT scan as it would be easier on her) next Monday. It took me 45 minutes to get her out of the house last week to go to the neurologist to take a computer memory test. We are working on a formal diagnosis....

Does anyone have advice on: 

a) how to help her before and during the doctor's visit? She is highly resistant, incredibly scared and anxious and can get aggressive. 

b) ways to best advocate at the doctor's office? I call and tell them to not mention memory impairment to her, but they never read the notes and do it anyway - which just makes things worse for her. 

Thank you so much. Any and all advice appreciated greatly.

RobOT
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 10:53 AM

Doctor's offices are crazy busy and the workers are stressed out right now.  I always write the doc a very brief note, put it in a sealed envelope with re: my dad's name on it, and hand that to the receptionist while Dad isn't looking.  As for them mentioning her memory problems, you can ask them not to, but some doctors follow a policy of openness with their patients.  It's possible you can get a prescription for anxiety, which might help with the visits.  Sometimes offering a reward can help, and gives them something to look forward to after the appointment.  Right now, with options so limited, I'm lucky my dad will settle for a milk shake from the drive through.  Hope this helps a little.
AmyArizona2020
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:45 PM

Thank you! That's great advice - both the envelope and the milkshake!
AmyArizona2020
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 4:19 PM

AND anti-anxiety medication ordered! Hoping that will make the visit better for her.