RSS Feed Print
Would a manual on how to respond for caregivers be useful?
mrgladd
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 4:45 PM

I used to own a great series of books called How to Say It where it took all kinds of different reasons to write correspondence and how to properly write them.

After my recent post in Musings about "It'd be nice if..." it got me thinking as to whether a book for caregivers on how to say something or how to react to a verbal attack would be useful.

I mean, responding to "If you really cared about me, you'd let me have ice cream!" is different depending on if you're dealing with a petulant child or an octogenarian with dementia.

How do you properly word a notice to a respite worker?

How do you properly ask a sibling for help while being as neutral and noncombative as possible?

I have a lot of examples of how not to do it, having done a lot of it myself recently. I'm also thinking that this is too niche for a publisher to actually bite on it, but on the other hand, it could be helpful to some folks.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 10:43 PM

can we include a few slug methods in the manual, just so I can get my kicks afterwards?  So I can watch my sister shaking in her boots...Joking.  

Yeah, I think it can help some folks.  The dynamics and different scenarios/examples that people can relate to.  Also, the perspective of the other person can be included because there are times we caregivers don't consider the other side of the situation.  There have been a few mistakes I've made because I react too quickly and not realize that a call was missed, or someone simply, and truly forgot something.  Things like that have occurred.  Even a misinterpretation.  

SunnyMango
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:55 PM

It’s a great idea! If you find something like that, please share
MinutebyMinute
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:26 PM

It would be helpful. There's definitely not a one-size-fits-all because they are all affected differently and respond differently. So, several options for various scenarios would be great. Can't tell you how many lists I've exhausted.

LMAO one night when I read a post on another site where a woman was spouting about how she didn't understand how you couldn't get your parents to do what you wanted. Then went on to talk about how she and her father wrangled her mother into the car. You do that on your own ... how?

Any advice will be helpful for someone!

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:48 PM

Must it be a manual?  I would prefer an automatic.

Does that make me shiftless?

Sigh.

J.