RSS Feed Print
making my own decisions about pain
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2013 8:20 PM

I visited my rheumatologist today and complained about pain in my right calf muscles after exercising.  She examined me and said my knee was swollen, which it was, and wanted to get new xrays. 

I refused the xrays, because my knee is not worse.  Even if it my knee were worse, more xrays would not help me.  All I wanted to know was whether or not I should continue exercising.  I need to exercise for Best Practices.  I'm not interested in more medication.  I've tried them all anyway.

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 11:06 AM

Mornin' Iris.  Maybe your problem is muscular.  Do you think so?  Massage or soaking in hot water will releave the spasm. 
gregg1
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:38 PM

I know it's not as apealing as heat, but I've found ice to be more affective to swelling than heat, when it comes to relieving pain. Iris I don't know what type exersicze program you're on but I've found in the past trainors tend to push too hard and cause as much damage as good. Trust your own body and know when enough is enough.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:56 PM

Thanks, Myriam and Gregg.  I have been massaging and resting my muscles.  I was just reading about taking more vitamin C and vitamin E (antioxidants) to counteract the free radicals that are produced by exertion of the muscles.  I'm thinking of changing my post-exercise recovery drink to incorporate more nutritional support for my muscles. 

I've been bothered by post-exertional pain in my muscles for several years.  The reason I brought up this issue is because if I had been taken to the doctor by someone else, and unable to speak for myself, the direction of the visit would have gone towards xray and more pain medication for knee arthritis, not towards nutritional support of muscle exertion. 

I'm very concerned about being at the mercy of people, especially doctors, who don't understand me and don't know how to treat my ailments.  While I can still think for myself, I know how to ignore what I want to ignore.  I can choose what sounds right.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 1:23 PM

I've always thought we know our bodies better than anyone.  Where we have trouble is explaining our symptoms in a manner that others understand.

I'm very prone to muscle spasms - what helps me somewhat is 'tricking' the muscle.  I apply ice for about 15 minutes on the top side of the leg. Then after I remove the ice bag I put the heating pad on the bottom side of the leg.  That seems to confuse the spasms for me.  Its worth a try, hope it helps.  Also your electrolyte's may be off, that's an easy fix with the proper drink.  Good luck, eagle

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, June 9, 2013 7:30 PM

Iris,
What's the possibility of using a pool for some of your exercise routine? Figure out other forms of non weight bearing to give those knees a rest.