RSS Feed Print
A spiritual journey of love
Rosedtr
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:04 PM

Over almost a decade my mother and I  journeyed together and grew spiritually as we encountered the ever expanding complexities of Alzheimer's Disease.  Initially, I felt overwhelmed by what was ahead for us.  What grew out our immersion in this life changing disease was a greater closeness and love for one another.  As her life grew smaller in outer ways -- such as a downsized apartment, followed by the release of most of her possessions as she moved through several assisted living facilities and a nursing home stay -- our focus became increasingly person centered.  

At first I took on many of the tasks that involve activities of daily living.  I was happy to do so.  For five years my assistance helped her remain in her apartment home.  I lived close by.  This allowed us to share the experience.  In the process we deepened our mother/daughter relationship.  After she could no longer live alone, I had to learn to allow other people skilled in serving this population to take a greater and greater place in her care.  I had to surrender her to those who could do what I could not.  What I could do was become a care manager and advocate.  This I eventually learned to do more gracefully. This is key in these long term situations.  I learned that my mother had her own unique contract with God and the new people we were meeting along the way.  It was like skating the razors edge to be there, and yet not hover or impede those who knew what to do for her as she continued to physically decline.  We had the benefit of hospice services the last two years, which she received in a nursing home, and later in her final assisted living facility where she died in the care of a hospice nurse.

The poet Rumi said it so well:  But listen to me. For one moment quit being sad.  Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.  God.

quits
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2013 12:56 PM

Thank you for sharing about your journey, and I am sorry for your loss.
Rosedtr
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 1:19 PM

Dear quits,

I was revisiting my post and for the first time noticed your kind communication to me.  Thank you for that!  I wish you and your husband and family a most blessed Thanksgiving and holiday season.  It is an honor and highly rewarding to care for one with Alzheimer's, though we can think otherwise in the more taxing moments.  Indeed, you are a younger caregiver, as I was initially.  Best wishes...Rosedtr

Sea Field
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:27 PM

Rosedtr,

My mother (Rosemary) also had Alz.  And now my husband.  I too have noticed beautiful spiritual changes in my loved ones (and myself) as part of this journey, though I would probably use different words to describe it when I am cleaning up poop.

My favorite Rumi poem is 'The Guest House'.  The translation I have goes like this:

This being human is a guest house.

Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,

Some momentary awareness comes

as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all

even if they are a crowd of sorrows

who violently sweep your house

empty of its furniture.

Still, treat each guest honorably.

He may be clearing you out

for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice

Meet them at the door laughing

and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,

Because each has been sent

as a guide from beyond.

Blessings, Cynthia

Jim Broede
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:02 PM

I love reading threads like this. Because all of you are spiritual optimists. Sources of inspiration – for me. --Jim

Forget-me-not
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:12 PM

A spiritual journey of love--what a great title! This is what I strive and hope to accomplish. What helps me to keep focusing on the spiritual journey is the little book "The Heart Knows The Way" by Fern Stewart Welch. It is always on my reading table, and I refer to its wisdom often. Subtitles: " How to follow your heart to a conscious connection with the divine spirit within" and "The author's surprising discovery in sharing the decline and death of her husband that changed sadness to a joyful reaffirmation of life". Thank you for starting this thread--it is very inspirational. I love to read all the entries.

I learned that my mother had her own unique contract with God and the new people we were meeting along the way. I love this sentence! Thank you.

Rosedtr
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:22 PM

The wonderful poetry of Rumi is supportive to most every circumstance we humans face.  Sea Field, I also love The Guest House.  Thank you.  Elizabeth Kubler Ross and her study of death and dying -- her deep compassion and sensitivity -- continue to support so many long after her own death.  Other wonderful writers have come along since to continue her "thread" as Mr. Broede would say.  Thank you Jim and Forget-me-not.  Caregivers past and present grow so much valor and strength -- my favorite human beings.  Your loved ones are very blessed by your advocacy and devotion.

The writings of Harold Klemp also supported me spiritually during my journey with my mom.  I, too, went from being completely overwhelmed initially, to the dawning realization that we were on an amazing journey -- the most profound of my life to date.  It's all about love.

Best wishes, Rosedtr

Forget-me-not
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 8:21 PM
What books do you recommend by Harold Klemp? He wrote so many! Any of them pertain to this particular journey? Thank you for any recommendations.
Rosedtr
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:22 PM

A Harold Klemp title that is a good one to start w/ is a small paperback for $3.00 entitled Spiritual Wisdom on Relationships.  His writing addresses the entire scope of living in all its dimensions.  Divine love and its expression in all affairs is a central tenant.
Rosedtr
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:34 PM

Additional info on Spiritual Wisdom on Relationships:  this is actually a free book.  When I searched the title on Yahoo, a page came up for ordering a free copy from Eckankar.
Rosedtr
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:38 PM

Oops...Spiritual Wisdom on Relationships booklet was searched via Google.  Pardon my goof.