RSS Feed Print
Pain medication and memory loss
zappadaddy
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:25 AM

I'm wondering if the pain meds I'm on (narcotic), and the anxiety meds (xnax) are affecting my short term memory or am I still in the denial stage!
Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:46 AM

Hi again, Zappadaddy.

Of course, such is possible but please hold questions until you see your doctor.

Geegee
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:16 AM

Hi Zappadaddy and welcome. 

Yes you could be I  denial AND yes the medications could be compounding your symptoms. 

Anything is possible and that is why you need to talk with your doctor.  I read that you are scheduled to see your PCP.  Discuss it with him first and then consider following up or getting a referral to a neurologist that specializes in dementia.  

If you go to alz.org, you can read more about the symptoms that can mimic dementia that are caused by medications, thyroid, vitamiiin deficiency, etc. 

Please don't panic.  Keep a positive attitude and learn all that you can about Facts.   

Finding a diagnosis is not guess work or assumption.  It often takes time to get to the cause of your symptoms or it can be conclusive rather quickly.  In diagnosis, as well as experience, each case is different.  Each person is different and is affected differently by a dementia. 

I wish you well in finding answers.  No matter what, we will be here to offer support and share what we have learned as individuals and as our online family.  Without this site, I would be lost. 

geegee 

Find the sunshine in your day! 

struggling
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:54 PM

Hey zappadaddy, as others have indicated, don't panic yet.  This may or may not be the dreaded thing we all hate - Alzheimers.  And medications can be very powerful, sometimes for the good, sometimes not. 

I am 59 years old. I went off all my meds except the one for depression.  I feel much better and more functional, although I do have down periods. 

The other posters gave good advice.  Don't count your chickens before they are hatched!

crimson4gd
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 3:11 PM

My mother has dementia, and I was always afraid that was my problem.  Till one day I went to the doctors and discovered that I actually have a extremely low thyroid which causes similar symptoms to dementia.   

Good luck.

Christi