RSS Feed Print
Paying bills
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 5:25 PM

It's the end of the month and I've been writing out checks to pay my bills.  A few of my bills are on auto-pay, which is a great relief to me.  I have a few other bills that I write out every month. 

It takes me about fifteen minutes to write out one check, including posting it on my ledger.  I feel uncomfortable writing out checks because it seems like it takes a lot of brain power to write a few lines on a check.  But I have to concentrate to make sure everything is written correctly.  I don't like this.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 6:47 PM

Time wise, it's not terribly unreasonable, especially if you are also keeping a ledger.

But that it bothers you is important. Are there any more you can get on automatic deduct? 

At the worst, It's time to think of someone who can take the job over. Have you thought of employing a geriatric care manager who would just do the things you no longer want to do?

nomemo
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 6:52 PM

Iris, i can totally identify with what you're experiencing.  I was doing my "beginning of the month" bill paying today.  Maybe I could try and have someone help me, but that's another private area of my life that I'm hesitant to give up.  Nobody's business.  At least, in my mind right now, that's how I think. 

I don't know.....I go back and forth so much about the pros and cons of things like this.  I end up status quo.

In the end, not good.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 8:19 PM

Nomemo, I'm  not concerned about my bills being someone else's business.  I'm more concerned about having someone else mess things up.  I may not think as well as I used to but I am conscientous.  I've found that many people nowadays are not conscientous about their work, especially if it involves someone else's money.

Mimi, I've worked with three geriatric care managers already.  They didn't work out, for various reasons.

I just have to muddle through the way I have been doing.

Iris L.

nomemo
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:04 PM

i hear what you're saying, Iris......
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:30 PM

I know, Iris.

Just keep looking. Some time you'll find someone who's the right fit.

Does your brother have kids? Any live in your area?

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 6:41 PM

Mimi, my brother doesn't have children.  My relatives that I know are my age or much older.  The younger members of my family don't know me.

I know I will have to rely on professionals when I need help.  I know some people seem to have found helpful gcms.  So far, I have not been impressed.

That's why I'm so glad you introduced me to Best Practices, Mimi, which have improved my life so much.  I aim to remain independent for as long as I can!

Iris L.