RSS Feed Print
medical marijuana cannabinoid based medicines
alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:02 AM

Possible this information will be removed as some message board users find the idea of Cannabis as medicine offensive or that knowledge of its use and benefits might lead others to the dark side. 

http://www.cannabisinternational.org/info/alzheimer-Mol-Pharm.pdf 

article with good information for starters... 

The illegal status remaining in some states is inhibiting the progress of  research on the helpfulness of cannabinoids. There are now medicines with no THC. 

It won't be long before my voice will not be heard, when I can not use my computer or write as I am today. Having had lots of side effects from other meds over my life I always use the least amount to be effective and Alternative Medicines. My choice and my experience. 

Dull and unmotivated the Sativa strains encourage imagination and provide intiative.

Too much in the head on ALZ, the Indica strains allow me to feel my body and move. Interested in others knowledge and experience. 

This post was edited by the ALZConnected Moderator on October 26, 2013.  

alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 10:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa0nLdVJiIg&feature=youtu.be 

Please feel free to post comments on your experience using Cannabis as medicine, by juicing raw leaves, or tinctures, edibles, or vaporizing as either a patent or care giver.

No harmful side effects, in legal states dispensaries will give you direction.

This is posted under the theme of ALTERNATIVE MEDICINE and there is much research online indicating the benefits.

My posts have been edited, I appreciate getting the information out there as millions of us are suffering needlessly.

love and courage

ilovemygrey
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:10 PM

Hi Alz.. I have 1 question for U.. do U take reg  medicine or the generic version? I am on the generic version.  do  U think the generic is as good as the regular version? I just started taking it about 2  weeks ago.. I do not know how much it is helping me yet. I have MCI now, and I do not know if I also have Early Onset Alzherimer's Disease. I take 10 mg pills, I time per day at noon , after my noon meal. the Generic is called Donepezil. do you know about the generic version? thanks so much Lisa Culp
Lesley Jean
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:35 PM

ilovemygrey,

Thank you for asking the question regarding generic Aricept. My husband also takes the generic type.  I know that his neurologist that he sees for seizures (he sees 3 different nueros) doesn't want him to take different brands of generic Keppra.  He has ordered that he take the same brand every time it is refilled.  He has stated that although they are the same medication, there may be a small difference in the amt of active ingredients or non-active that may make a difference in controlling seizures. I wonder if this is true for Aricept as I heard a while back (not on this site) that a generic brand did not work as well as the brand. 

Thanks again for asking,
Lesley Jean 
PS
It may take a month for the therapeutic levels to be reached and to know if it is going to work for you.

alz+
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 8:57 AM

love my grey - I took generic and felt like I was on a rocket ship at 5mg a day. Every body is different, and when combined with other drugs one takes - the effect changes. 

NOTE: Aricept caused my skin to break out in giraffe pattern of hard raised brown plaques and I got more benefit from alternative medication so I quit it and have NOT gone down hill without it. JULY 2014

On WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio - shows free online) there was a discussion about generic vs name brand.

I also tried Namenda but got killer headaches that did not go away for days. 

However I am on Zoloft now (July 2014) for anxiety and it has been helpful. There is so much try and find out stuff. 

My opinion is that because cannabinoids have act the same action as Aricept but help me more without that speedy drugged feeling and without bad side effects. Juicing cannabis leaves cleared the raised brown spots on my skin from Aricept. 

Lonna
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 2:53 PM

alz+: Your comments supporting medical marijuana are totally legit. There most certainly is a stigma against the use of medically-managed cannibis, although I imagine as my generation begins to push legislation and awareness for neurodegenerative treatments and a cure, we'll see more advocacy. There already is more acceptance for those going through cancer treatments. 

We pump so many chemicals into our bodies, we sometimes forget the medicinal properties of plants and herbs – our gifts from Mother Nature. I hope you are well. 

Myriam
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 4:16 PM

In my state, Washington, medical marijuana has been available for years. This year, it legalized recreational marijuana. The price of marijuana pretax is an average of $12 a gram, but there is a 25% tax on it.

Lonna
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 5:25 PM

A gram could last a long time. Don't ask how I know that. ...
snark66
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 2:58 PM

Both medical and recreational marijuana are legal where I live.  My wife is currently in a stage of dementia where she weeps for hours at a time.  Marijuana eases her anxiety.  Mine too . All it takes is a very low dose.
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:54 PM

snark66 Thank you for responding about the benefit to caregivers too.

There is  serious help being developed and provided to alz patients. Through some bizarre search online and making typing errors and so on I actually got connected with Oregon Christian MM people who use God's plants to help people, and HAVE HAD HUGE SUCCESS TREATING FAMILY MEMBERS WITH ALZ! They offered me specific information and strains and stuff, but I would have to make my own. I am in a legal state but without dispensaries. A do it your self state. Have not made tinctures or edibles yet.

I upped the Aricept, added Namenda but it makes me WEEPY. We now have leaves to juice and this has restored my thinking more than the drugs, I have gone off the Big Pharma meds and now juice leaves with better results (July 2014).

My best to your wife and you, You sound like good folks.

Being allowed to post about my use of alternative medicine here does not imply ALZ.ORG approves and does not endorse any non medical treatment.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 6:22 AM

Just found out for Alz cannabinoids are taken as a sublingual oil. For morning function sativa strain vaporized, for late day stress indica for relaxation.

I wish this was just a dispensary type deal and government would stop the war and people would tell more stories of benefit to get the 3000 year old medicinal plants back in our lives.

This information I am receiving is giving me huge hope. I did not think it would be cannabis, but felt there was some "new med" coming soon that would - if not cure this illness - take the sting and pain out of it. I will do my best to report on how it goes for me.

If you live in a state with dispensaries please ask for info to post, or maybe they would post here, so caregivers and get help for their loved ones.

Brezybev
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:39 PM

Hi ALZ+,

My daughter has a company (here in California where it is legal) and she makes MM capsules made with coconut oil and salve with cannabis to put directly on the body.

People who have many different chronic illnesses, including cancer and epilepsy, swear by her products. They are now testing strains with mostly CBDs in them so that people don't feel "high" like they sometimes do with the high THC and Indica strains.

I have tried everything but the last one and everything I've tried makes me feel so goofy I can't function or sleep. I plan to try the high CBD tincture soon, but we will have to see if that is helpful.

I think MM is very individual. Some people are helped tremendously by it and others aren't. It's not a one-size-fits-all sort of thing. I'm glad it is helpful to you.

Bev

alz+
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:52 AM

if using a vaporizer, one puff and wait 10 minutes.

if eating, one very small bite and wait an hour

If you have never used cannabis before the feeling of being altered is what you manage. Less is more.

New meds have low THC. One learns their own tolerance and preferences.

Indica is for physical relaxation, letting mind relax.

sativa is for stimulating thought / creativity / energy

I am no expert but I can go to sleep easily with a couple puffs of indica and no hang over, no side effects, no bad interactions with Aricept.

For agitation it provides instant relief. Takes your mind off the bad, gets one to unstick their mind when brain locked on one thing. Calms anger.

good for caregiver's - of course this means responsible use but anybody can drink too much or take sedatives or street drugs to excess.

Sublingual low thc is apparently widely used with huge success.

you need a guide, a dispensary or look online.

vrswesley
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:38 AM

I find this very interesting. cant try it because of were i live right now.. but maybe someday.  neither could I smoke it.
vrswesley
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 2:08 PM

how does mm help alz? I cant  take it I live in gov subsi8sdized apt..but iu am curisous about it...
alz+
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 8:24 AM

HOW DOES CANNABIS HELP ALZHEIMER'S?

I am not capable of presenting the chemistry/neurobiological aspects of how this old herbal medicine harmonizes the body but lots of information online.

I think one site is (unfortunately named ) www.THETRUTHABOUTPOT.com 

look at government health sites or just search "benefits of cannabis for Alzheimer's"

As I am losing more...short term memory Using cannabis changes it into a different state of consciousness. One factor is calming fears and anxiety, refocusing, INSPIRATION, pain relief, sleep aid, and has been shown to preserve memory functions.

When sharing cannabis with a friend we are more on the same page for a time, things slow down enough in my brain so that my slower processing speeds can match my thoughts.

If I am really lethargic cannabis can make going for a walk turn into a magical experience, birds who come close, seeing tracks in snow, investigated tree conditions, cloud covers, nice conversations. I will often forget about Alzheimer's presence.

I am looking for people to help me get information out to people who have never used cannabis - how to go into a dispensary (thought big city dispensaries are full of great reliable advice). People who have prejudice against this old herbal medicine and who are not yet knowledgeable about its actions need a primer on how to begin. This is beyond me at the time.

gardeners should have little problem adding to the vegetable plots.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 7:42 PM

There are 20 states that have legalized medical marijuana. Here's a link to the list:

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=000881

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:55 AM

One might think I have a financial stake in MM but it is just rage at what has happened to people who are ill and could benefit from this natural medicine being prosecuted or living in fear of prison for trying to find medicine that does not leave them permanently impaired. 

www.globalpost.com search Israel embraces miracle marijuana.

I have been damaged by inappropriate drugging by doctors who still do not know women need lower doses of anything, who prescribe drugs that left me with impaired kidney function and a tongue that moves constantly and damaged my own father with anti psychotic meds when he had Alzheimer's but thought it fine my Mother give my Dad cocktails in evening to "quiet him". 

Well, he fell and broke his hip and we did not know about MM then as Florida is not a legal state but I educated myself and so I am using these boards to give information to those want to learn. 

We patients have rights even when we can not speak up for ourselves,  our CAREGIVERS may read books on how to communicate with us and help our fear and anger and frustration in a gentle way but few of us have access to someone actually using medical marjuana for a patient. 

Yesterday my husband took me to our little church and we washed the floors. I was able to do this by using Medical Marijuana and I was able to sleep and he had fun and we were a benefit to our community. 

Forgive me for sounding as if I am preaching about this but my voice will be silenced soon enough. To think we are benefiting a few others by what we learn makes it worthwhile. And yes, sometimes I even feel a little high and laugh and relax. 

love to all. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 9:35 AM

Thank you for being a wonderful advocate for those who cannot basically speak for themselves any more.  I admire you and everyone else on this forum who have used every tool at their disposal to keep this disease at bay. It is sad that medical marijuana and other medicinal herbs are so easily dismissed by many in the "scientific community" when they will likely turn out to be the best medicine of all for Alzheimer's disease.
alz+
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 4:57 PM

Because of my inability to correctly fill out my state altered renewal form and the cut back of almost all Medical Marijuana staff by my state, I have not been able to use it for a month or more, even though once you have a card you are legal, you must have the renewed card to be current.

Going without MM has been a valuable experience.

Without the use of Cannabis I have been more down, less ambitious, crying more, blood pressure went up, husband is more stressed, dog is worried, and no weight loss.

I want meds that work for me and have no bothersome or harmful side effects!

We are working to get the new card issued.

love to all

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:25 PM

Can you find someone who can help you with the form?
alz+
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:31 PM

my husband "helped". The thing is once you are approved like I was 5 years ago, you are still approved - but you do not have a fresh card you can not go to a dispensary or grow it for yourself.

The doctor who approved my application said all his patients had their forms denied 2 - 3 times and staff was cut to process new people.

By the time I get a new card I won't know how to use a vaporizer!

Note: july 2014 got card renewed, they "lost" our applications, a few phone calls, a few months of resending applications, legal again. Hvae found raw leaves restore memory brain function, juicing with Lemon Balm leaves.

Also, ALZ.org does not endorse or support cannabis based medicine and my posts may disappear. If you use it and have benefits please post so others have a chance to benefit other than pills with unknown side effects. Perhaps if more people will relate how it helps them the view of medical marijuana may change. Hope so.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 8:56 PM

If I were you, I would contact your state's senator and house member to complain. You are their constituent and will/should respond to people who vote.
Myriam
Posted: Sunday, May 11, 2014 7:54 PM

Here's an excerpt that describes the changes to the med marijuana law in your state. The changes seem reasonable to me. 

"But starting Monday, doctors must complete face-to-face medical evaluations of patients, review their relevant medical records, and assess their medical condition and history. The amendments also require follow-up with patients after providing the certification to see whether the use of medical marijuana to treat the illness is working. 

Cavanagh said this prevents "some out-of-state doctor from coming in, renting a hotel room, writing these things and then leaving town." 

"Now we are saying: 'What's behind that card? Where did you get certified? Who was your doctor?'" said Michael Komorn, a Michigan attorney who specializes in medical-marijuana law. He said the new standards will benefit patients and doctors by outlining what is expected throughout the certification process. 

Among other changes that begin Monday — after the bills received the 75 percent approval in December needed to amend voter-approved laws — is that state-issued cards given to people who have a doctor's endorsement will be good for two years instead of one. Applicants also must show proof of residence, like a driver's license or state ID, to get the $100 cards." 

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 8:36 AM

Myriam - seems reasonable, but the reality here is very few doctors in THE STATE will authorize cannabis medicine, the paper work for patient applicants was tripled, and the government office staff to review applications cut - so if someone applied now, they could be rejected 2 - 3 times before getting approval. And we are talking people with severe end of life problems, Alzheimer's, MS, epilepsy! The cities and counties have closed dispensaries. We have one doctor in my rural area who sees patients from 6 counties, the only one knowledgeable about using Cannabis medicines. Blocking out of state doctors sounds good but the result is on the patient in need being prevented access.

Not too many old people can grow their own, especially the strains that are specific to conditions. Where would we get seeds? 

No license, no place to buy medicinal quality cannabis. Kind of makes the law useless. I got myself worked up again!

You are so smart. I love the women on this board.

love to all

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 2:37 PM

I went to a forum related to medical marijuana in my state and surprise surprise! I have 2 new online email friends who have early onset! 

We have exchanged some information, they are very helpful.

People posted on that forum who have cared for Mothers and Fathers and used MM to great success. NO suffering, fighting, meltdowns and no nasty side effects. 

People are cheering me on, and although the internet is not the same as having real life on the porch friends, sharing information feels very kind and lovely! 

Thank you to all. Post your success story! Juicing leaves is my daily medicine, no psychoactive effects, just clarity and calmness. Also adding Lemon Balm leaves, "Melissa" from the mint family. A neighbor gave me plants last year and they have spread all over. Apparently juicing leaves is most medicinal, no heat involved (like a tea). Berries, banana, leaves, coconut oil, yoghurt, sometimes Emergen-C tangerine, orange juice...what ever we have. Makes a difference in how the day goes.

love to all 

ffwife54@yahoo.com
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:27 AM

I live in Wi where mm is illegal but I will be traveling out west the end of May, and will be staying in Wa state for the summer. How does one go about finding a mm dispensary? I'm ready to look into this as a alt to all the meds that are being pumped into my body. 

I will share with all of you as I take this new journey 

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:01 AM

ffwife54@yahoo.com wrote:

I live in Wi where mm is illegal but I will be traveling out west the end of May, and will be staying in Wa state for the summer. How does one go about finding a mm dispensary? I'm ready to look into this as a alt to all the meds that are being pumped into my body. 

I will share with all of you as I take this new journey 

Look online for dispensaries and read reviews. You can also email dispensaries and ask what, if anything, they have found their patients took that was helpful for the aspects of illness you are now taking drugs for, and get a sense of a caring knowledgeable place.

There will be some places that are more sophisticated, with varieties of strains, potencies, and delivery systems. Not many people smoke the herb anymore for medicinal reasons because smoke inhalation not so good, but primarily because vaporizing keeps all the active ingredients viable.

If you have not used cannabis before, or not in many years, be aware some of the medical grade is extremely potent. My thought on any medication is use the lowest possible dose.

Unfortunately, without an experience MM caregiver (one who grows and supplies cannabis for patients) you have to experiment, but a quality dispensary can guide you.

Things I look for:

help with anxiety - want a calming quiet strain

help with motivation - this can be very specific to one's brain/body

help with sleep

help with pain

help with change of stuck mood BIG DEAL (note: as ALZ progresses our emotions seem to thicken and stagnate, slow to process, slow to come to resolution. Cannabis is used primarily around the world for its instant change of mood to one of peace and introspection. I f already in a good mood, it is enhanced with expanded awareness)

help with slowing progression - there are specific strains that have been shown to do this, research NIH has complicated info on this. The main thing is the active ingredients of MM work in SYNERGY beyond what man made medicine can ever hope to achieve. So how it is processed and ingested is important.

I am currently sharing and learning with Michigan MM forum members on what worked with their loved ones, and a couple ALZ patients. When my cognition is better I share this info here. Have been having lapses of days where I feel All Is Lost, then come back around.

One strain mentioned the most is known as Train Wreck. I told growers I wish they would change the names as a dementia patient hardly wants to ingest Train Wreck, They said the names of strains are...sort of essential as these were created and named long ago and to so to preserve the integrity the name remains.

WARNING: about edibles. I went to a dispensary in California a couple years ago and was told to try edibles, given a cake like brownie. It tasted like a great bakery item. I ate half of it. Within an hour I was so affected I could not move my eyes! Fortunately I was at my son's house and my daughter was there so the environment was safe and supportive and funny. I slept 6 hours like I never slept in my life. A brownie or candy is not a dessert! A small bite in a safe place to see how it affects you.

have fun and hope Wisconsin becomes a leader in new cannabis movement.

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:28 PM

Today, medical marijuana has been available for years in the State of Washington, but a person needs to show a condition and get a prescription (not too hard). Apparently, there are certain strains that help with dementia. 

This fall, marijuana will become available to the general public, but a person will only be allowed to hold 1 ounce or less. Apparently, police are not making arrests during the time before general public sales of MJ become legal.  

If you Google "marijuana in Washington State", you will find lots of info. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:08 AM

It seems that the possibility of medical marj. becoming legal is increrasing. State Legislatures are becoming more amenable to this. The problem seems to be how to make its use legal for those who need it and not allow it's use for recreational purposes.
alz+
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 8:22 AM

The American Dread of someone having a good time.

Recreational use is a crime, jail time crime. A lot fo people I know would say, "I'll drink to that! Lock 'em up!" ha!

what exactly is the fear of someone having a little cannabis at end of day to unwind and enjoy the birds, the dog, their life?

In a nation of pill popping alcoholics the federal government made cannabis a greater CRIME than cocaine.

It is a great medicine, ancient herbal medicine. Learning more about using leaf in a juicer, no psychoactive problem and tremendous anti inflammatory benefits. NOTE july 2014 : juicing leaves is better than aricept for me. Not telling anyone to use MM, just providing the information in case one needs other help than medical profession can provide.

love to all and ENJOY

alz+
Posted: Sunday, June 1, 2014 4:54 PM

http://www.cannabisinternational.org/info/alzheimer-Mol-Pharm.pdf

Not sure if this link works, but when I got to the CONCLUSION part - left me speechless.

"

Conclusion
We have demonstrated that THC competitively inhibits
AChE and, furthermore, binds to the AChE PAS and
diminishes Aaggregation. In contrast to previous studies
aimed at utilizing cannabinoids in Alzheimer’s disease
therapy our results provide a mechanism whereby the
THC molecule can directly impact Alzheimer’s disease
pathology. We note that while THC provides an interesting
Alzheimer’s disease drug lead, it is a psychoactive compound
with strong affinity for endogenous cannabinoid receptors.
It is noteworthy that THC is a considerably more effective
inhibitor of AChE-induced Adeposition than the approved
drugs for Alzheimer’s disease treatment, donepezil and
tacrine, which reduced Aaggregation by only 22% and 7%,
respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies.
Therefore, AChE inhibitors such as THC and its analogues
may provide an improved therapeutic for Alzheimer’s
disease, augmenting acetylcholine levels by preventing
neurotransmitter degradation and reducing A
aggregation,thereby simultaneously treating both the symptoms and
progression of Alzheimer’s disease."

I hope one day to find postings from people using MM, raw leaf in juice, or edible, or vaporized, or the oil. It seems 1000s of people are using MM to help themselves or as caregivers with tremendous success. Although I live in a Legal state, there is still no direct access without overwhelming complications.
love to all

alz+
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014 5:45 AM

Photo: Know your #cannabinoids.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:20 AM

Juicing Raw Leaves - 

We use a regular blender but noticed in a how to video they were using some muscular extracting machine. Must be for a dispensary or commercial grower making medicines? I have an old VitaMix blender but so far have had good results going low tech. 

William Courtney, MD recommends 3 glasses a day but we do not have enough plants available to do that or to afford purchasing. 

NOTE on Michigan Medical Marijuana license problems: husband got help through a live person on phone and we are Officially up to date legal again, meaning have cards renewed again- not papers in transit or lost.  We were never "illegal" but cards and paperwork had been delayed.

Love and courage