RSS Feed Print
A Dream
Katrinka
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:50 PM

A few months ago I had this dream. Usually when I dream, it's not about real life, real places, real people.

In my dream, we lived in our house.  We were headed somewhere.  It was cold and gray and a little snow on the ground, but no wind.  We stepped out the front door and there were old concrete steps leading down a large hill.  With a railing made from pipes.  Facing north.  Our home faces north, but outside the door are acres and acres of flat land.

At the bottom of the hill, in my dream, was a brand new 4-lane highway that seemed to originate at the base of our land.  There were sidewalks on either side, with a few people walking and milling about.  I took my husband's hand and we chose the left side of the street.

We came to the corner and I told my husband, "Let's go.  We can just get across before the light changes."  And I walked across all 4 lanes of traffic and got safely to the other side.  When I turned to talk to my husband, I discovered he hadn't followed me across the street.   He was still on the other side, chatting with a little old lady with gray hair, both of them smiling and laughing.  Not even noticing me.

I stood on the opposite side watching them for awhile.  I knew I couldn't go back, and he couldn't come with me. The only thing I couldn't figure out was... did I leave him or did he leave me?     

Sea Field
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 9:06 AM

Katrinka,

What an amazing dream!  The visuals you describe are so clear.  I feel like I can see them.

I've always been told that dreams are true on many levels.  And one of these levels is where all the players in a dream are really aspects of our self/psyche.  I think that houses usually represent ourselves, our bodies.  I wonder about the things you mention - old concrete steps, railings made of pipes, 4 lane highway at the base, ...

Really wish I was good at dream interpretation.  I have a feeling there is more than one layer of message to this one.

Blessings,

Cynthia

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:15 AM

There could be 101 possibilities, Katrinka. Maybe the little old lady with gray hair was a later version of you. In a wishful-thinking dream. Both of you smiling and laughing. Together.  Ask yourself what you want the dream to be. Give it an optimistic/upbeat interpretation.  We have great flexibility in interpreting our lives…and our dreams.  Think of several scenarios. And then choose the one that’s most comforting – to you. Learn to be happy.  To find reason to savor life.  Because life is good. Even when things seem to be going bad. Because bad often leads to good. That’s the nature of life. Things get better. If you wait. Patience. Patience. Patience. Trust in the ultimate goodness. Overall, you’ve had a very good life. Both of you.  Focus on that. Appreciate your many, many blessings. Knowing there are more to come.  Life ain’t over until it’s over. I’m at 78, and counting. My dear Jeanne had a 13-year siege with Alzheimer’s.  But we weathered it. Together. Jeanne died almost 7 years ago. But life goes on. And I have another true love. An Italian. Maybe Jeanne arranged it all. From another dimension. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe. That was one of my dreams.  Meanwhile, I have a real life. Splitting my time. Living in Italy. Living in Minnesota.  In love. With life.  A life full of far more happiness than sadness. Only moments of sadness. That’s the price one must pay for the experience of true love. Really, it’s worth paying. In order to feel the joyous pulse beat of life.  --Jim

quits
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:39 PM

Katrinka, I wish I had Joseph's gift of reading dreams. Maybe by writing it down, someone else will be able to interpret it for you.
Forget-me-not
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 2:58 PM

Hi Katrinka,

what a beautiful, meaningful dream. I once had a similar dream. Everything was crystal clear, I remembered every little detail, every word that was exchanged, etc. but I could not make any sense of it. I felt compelled to write everything down, just as I remembered. Then I called a spiritual counselor I knew and asked her to help me with interpretation. She explained  that she does not interpret any dreams, I will be interpreting my own dream, since it is full of symbolism which is meaningful only to me. She used phenomenological Gestalt dream analysis. The phenomenological  method comprises three steps: 1. The rule of epoche (setting aside one's biases and prejudices), 2. The rule of description (describing the dream instead of explaining) 3. the rule of horizontalization  (each item in the dream has equal value or significance)

I sat in a comfortable position, eyes closed, and my counselor read a sentence or part of a sentence from my written dream account, then asked me what that meant to me. I remained still until an answer popped into my mind. She wrote down my answer. That way we explored the whole dream, sentence by sentence, and I was amazed at the meaning that unfolded as my dream was related.

For more information just google Gestalt Dream Analysis. It is a fascinating subject.

This is probably more information than you asked for, but I hope it helps.