RSS Feed Print
making travel plans with cognitive impairment
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 9:30 PM

In a few days I will be leaving for a trip of a lifetime.  I will be traveling to the Holy Lands and Rome.  This has been a long-time dream of mine that I didn't expect to come to fruition, due to my many health problems.  The opportunity to go arose last summer and I grabbed it.

I will be traveling with a Christian group.  For part of the tour I will have a roommate.  I thought seriously, could I make this trip overseas and I decided I could.  Fortunately, since it is a group tour, almost everything will be planned out.  I just have to stay with the group. 

Right now I'm in distress.  My distress comes up in the nature of my cognitive impairment, i.e. impaired executive functions.  The planning is what I'm having trouble with.  I have spent from mid February until now planning and packing.  I feel great anxiety because the planning is like working in a fog.  What to do, what to take?  I spent a lot of time obsessing over my lists. 

The anxiety over the planning and packing has smothered my joy in my long-time dream.  I almost feel like I don't want to go.  I've been pondering why I feel so unmotivated.  I know it's because I feel overwhelmed by all the work that needs to be done for an overseas trip.  Also I had planned to get my taxes done before the trip,  Now the taxes are hanging over my head.  I will probably take an extension.  Again.  So be it.

My back is already hurting from the exertion of getting things ready.   I don't want to be in pain on my trip.  I started sneezing and coughing.  I hope I don't start a cold. 

I just sat down and looked over my lists.  Surprise, surprise!  Just about everything has been done!   

I just have a few things left to do.  I have made a specific to-do list for the next few days.  I have nothing left to buy.  Everything is packed.  All the arrangements have been made.  I just have to hold on for a few more days. and don't give in to depression.  

I want to be in an uplifted mindset for my pilgrimage.  All my other overseas trips were before I had so much cognitive impairment, and I didn't have so much trouble planning.  I don't like this letdown.   I want the sense of joy I had last summer to return.  I'm thinking positively. 

Iris L.

stephanie b
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 10:08 PM

Hi, Iris, I have not been here long, but I have seen so many posts of yours.     
      You have so much helpful information and are so kind to everyone.     
    I just want to wish you a wonderful trip and I am sure you did your homework and all will go fine. Traveling with a group is a great idea and I'm sure you will find caring folks that will be helpful if need be, have a safe and happy trip and thank you for all you do for others on this board. Stephanie.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 11:16 PM

Thanks, Stephanie.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:45 AM

Iris, Have you or will you confide to your tour leader your cognitive impairment. This will make sure that you are being checked. Do you need to rest during the day? If this is not possible, I find that if every  chance I get I shut out noise , close my eyes and slouch down as far as possible. For me, it's not as good as being flat in bed but it will work.

I bring an empty water bottle with me to the airport. Once through security I fill it. The wheel chair attendants do it for me. Also in my back pack are all my meds. The ones I need for the duration of the trip are kept in a separate small container, easily reachable. 

I also bring nuts in a plastic bag. I have several nutrition bars that are protein rich. 

Do you want to bring ear plugs so you can zonk out during the flight?

When do you leave?  We will miss you!!!!!!!

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:21 PM

Thanks, Mimi. These are good tips.  I plan to use them.  I leave at the end of the week.  I didn't tell the tour operators I have a cognitive problem.  I told them I have a hearing problem.  I have never gotten good results with telling outsiders I have a cognitive problem.

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 1:21 PM

Brilliant on the water bottle and the hard of hearing. Ask other to get your attention, look at you and speak slooooowly. take a small note pad.

Iris, I always feel overwhelmed taking a trip and almost always want to back out!

Please keep us up to date. For some of us cyber travel by proxy is the best we are going to get.

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:23 PM

Hello everyone. Iris I do hope you have the most enjoyable trip ever. At a later time I will try to sit down and let you all know what has been going  on with me. Trying to organize what's goes on in my head isn't easy as my train of thought is a mess. I'm still around monitoring. Hope everyone is doing OK. 

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:35 PM

Great to hear from you, Hi.Phi.High!
Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:47 AM

Iris, you have done the bulk of the work for your trip of a life time. Now let God handle the rest. Let His peace fill your spirit so He can give you the joy you need for this trip. He is with you and He will care for all your needs related to your cognitive impairment>

God bless, Paul

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:25 PM

I RIS!  the trip of a lifetime...will be thinking of you and look forward to reading posts from your journey.

I have not been feeling up to boards for awhile, glad I checked in today to know you are going. I am hoping you have a wonderful time and make new friends.

This is the best inspiration ever.

Much love!

Crushed
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:01 AM

Dear Iris

I routinely describe DW to travel professionals as having a "Neurological impairment that affects rapid decision making". Perhaps a few of her travel strategies might help(we leave for Vienna and Istanbul next week)

1)   Her "wallet"  is an Italian leather passport case that hangs around her neck.  It goes into a safe at the hotel desk anytime she goes out.  In a pocket she carries a laminated paper with all ID information and a photocopy of her passport. Cash but no credit cards.  a card from the  hotel.  any metal key is left at the desk.  

2) We have travel guard full evacuation travel insurance. 

3) She uses her camera as a memory aid.  She takes pictures of the front of the hotel etc. 

In Rome you can easily hire personal guides to major attractions like the Vatican Museum.  Many do this for language reasons alone. 

Have a great trip.  . 

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:21 AM

Oh, yes. The neck holder is great. Travelers checks. Only the amount of money on your person your can afford to use. Duplicates of all papers tucked in different places..

I always carry money in my shoe....my husband can not talk me out of it.

I am so excited for you!

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:48 AM

Hi Myriam! So wonderful to hear from you. Hope all is going well.
Hi.Phi.High

Hi.Phi.High

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:53 AM

Oh hell, Now I've got to figure out why I'm posting in triplicate.
Hi.Phi.High

Hi.Phi.High

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:12 PM

Hi, if the problem continues, please call 800-272-3900 to let them know what's going on. The Association should be able to fix it on their end. Hope it gets fixed, but it's better that you post in triplicate than not posting at all!!!! we want to hear from you.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:16 PM

Hi.Phi.High wrote:

oh don't bother to figure it out. I forgot the first one when reading the second, and so on so it was fresh to me.

ha! true!

love to all!

and Iris have fun!

and to the experienced traveler Crushed (?) seems a small ebook on helping people with dementia travel is in your head and would pay for more vacations.

love to all

love to all

love to all

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:54 PM

Those are great tips, Crushed.  I never thought to use my camera as a memory aid.  I'm still trying to learn to use it.  But I know I can take a photo of the front of the hotel.

Good to see you, HiPhi High, even in triplicate.

Jfkoc, I was just thinking about carrying money in my shoe.  I had a flashback to when I was a schoolgirl over fifty years ago.  That's how we carried our lunch money LOL.

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:59 PM

I've used a money belt in all my recent travels (in last 6 years: Kenya, Tanzania, India, Peru, Cuba). Want to continue to travel, but....
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 6:17 PM

I'm leaving in the early morning.  I probably won't be on the boards for a couple of weeks.  I'll miss everyone.  I'll check in when I return.   

Stay well, everyone!

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2014 6:46 PM

Iris, We will miss you. Have a wonderful time!!
Paul Hornback
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:10 AM

Bon Voyage and have a great time. You will be missed.

God Bless, Paul

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 7:27 AM

I can't wait for your safe return and a report on your travels.  The Holy Lands and Rome indeed a trip of a lifetime.  (And on Chili Bean and my bucket list.)
shirlou
Posted: Saturday, March 22, 2014 1:31 PM

Have a great time Iris enjoy and don't worry just have fun. Manuel will be going on first trip soon since diagnois but not trip of lifetime. But might start him wanting to.Again have a great time

Shirley