RSS Feed Print
Neuro appt.
llee08032
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:48 AM

Met with Dr. Sam yesterday and got the starter pack for Namenda, I am having mild improvement with energy, and word finding since increase in Excelon patch! I was not prepared as usual for my appt as I had to go to work after and had several things on my mind. I did not bring my book where I usually record symptoms, changes etc. I'm aware there were things I forgot to tell him but I can't remember what.

However, I am having increased visual perception difficulties and tasks at work that require math. Even basic math. On any given day I can not calculate how many nickels are in 40 cents.Yesterday I couldn't get past the first serial seven. I have to do stats which include monthly and quarterly reports. It now takes me several hours to do the reports and I have to review past reports to figure out what to do followed by periods of time where I am just staring at the report and trying to figure out what the report is in the first place. Somehow (by the grace of God) there have not been any notable mistakes that would send off an alert to my employer. Additionally having difficulties with appointments and times at work. Dr, asks do you write them down? I do write the appointments and times down upon notice but write them down wrong! For example there was a client appt for 1/22/15 @ 10:30. I recorded that the appt was for 1/23/15 @ 10:00. Fortunately, I will be able to designate this task to another staff when possible. But I do the same thing with meeting times and dates etc.

Dr's conclusion: mild improvement in some areas with continued progression of executive functioning deficits and decline. R/O: EOAD.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:16 AM

I just remembered that I seem to be adding accommodation to my routine. The main one is I do something immediately upon remembering or when something comes up whenever I can so I don't forget.Sometimes this feels hurried or like pressure but I always feel better after the task is completed so I try to focus on the feeling better after feeling when things get done. Of course I have to write something down immediately also.

I view my brain as a computer like organ that contains many files permanent and temporary. That if it gets too full it will not function at maximum capacity. So I have to consistently work on getting things done and deleting those temporary files!

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:30 PM

I used to have the same problems you're having, Ilee. Might I suggest something? Say what you are writing OUT LOUD to yourself when you are writing something down. This does help me.

I like the computer analogy.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:37 AM

Lee, What is your plan B? I would suggest working on that.

Rev up the strenuous physical activity. The more research that is done on that topic, the more important it seems to be.

On what basis did the docx say you had shown improvements? your reports or tests he did?

And again I am struck by the difference is diagnoses. You are a person who has some math background and are having difficulty dividing 40 by 5. And that is a mild disfunction?

It seems to me that some docs begin at where the person was functioning pre symptoms (as mine did.) Then they figure out how far you've fallen. Others take the medium and judge from there. It makes a huge difference if one originally was way above average.

Some doctors judge by whether or not one is capable of living alone. If you live alone, you can't be full blown, you just are MCI.

Thoughts?

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 8:13 AM

Iris, I think I say things out loud when I'm writing them down. Also I can write them down and ask the other person to repeat the information before ending the dialogue.

Mimi, the improvement was based on my self report.

And again I am struck by the difference is diagnoses. You are a person who has some math background and are having difficulty dividing 40 by 5. And that is a mild disfunction? I would think moderate to severe impairment. There were 4 or more areas indicating severe impairment on neuro psyc eval.

It seems to me that some docs begin at where the person was functioning pre symptoms (as mine did.) Then they figure out how far you've fallen. Others take the medium and judge from there. It makes a huge difference if one originally was way above average. I agree this would make a huge difference.

No I am living alone and working and definitely not full blown. Dr. does think I am in the very early stages but does not want to report as such at this time for my protection because it would impact employment.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 12:34 PM

Some doctors judge by whether or not one is capable of living alone. If you live alone, you can't be full blown, you just are MCI.

Thoughts?

I think this is as good a distinction as any, being capable of living alone successfully.

My neuropsychologist told me that the neuropsychologists and the neurologists have different definitions of when a person is diagnosed as having dementia. The neuropsychologists go by their testing results. The neurologists go by seeing definite changes on imaging studies, such as MRI or CT scan.

For our purposes, how a person functions, unaided by others, can be a useful definition. On one hand, we are eligible for more services without a definition of dementia. On the other hand, we need a definite diagnosis of dementia to receive other services and benefits. It can be frustrating.

Iris L.