RSS Feed Print
I had a scare yesterday
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 1:04 AM

The same thing happened yesterday that happened almost 6 years ago, that along with leaving food to burn unattended on the stove, convinced me to begin Exelon patch. That was leaving the tub water flowing. I ran the water and then promptly forgot all about it for about 20 minutes.

When I remembered, the bathroom was ankle-deep in water, flowing out to the living room and both bedrooms. I had to scoop and mop to get the bathroom floor dry, but the carpet was saturated. I tried to mop some of the water up from the carpet, but only got a bit. I kept the bathroom window open all night and ran the fan, although that didn't help much.

Today, I thought about using a wet-dry vacuum, so I went to Home Depot and bought one. I had a carpet cleaner that I had purchased years ago but never opened. I was proud of myself, I was able to read the instructions to assemble both appliances, and figure out how to use them. I suctioned up much more water today and managed to clean the carpet.

This is very upsetting to me. I feel as though I am right back where I was 6 years ago. Then, I was thinking that I was not safe to live alone, because of the risk of fire or water damage. Why did this happen now, after 5 years and 8 months of Exelon patch and 5 years 6 months of Namenda.

Had I become complacent because I was doing better? Or am I getting worse? Actually, I think I was distracted because I was feeling frustrated while trying to navigate the new board. I know I must avoid becoming distracted and avoid multitasking.

This is a scary place to be, when you don't trust yourself to take a bath.

But I have to analyze this new complication and come up with a plan of action.

Iris L.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:50 PM

I think that it is the stress, Iris. Stress is never good for memory. I am sorry that this happened to you, but glad that you were able to take care of the mess.

Athos3m
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:03 PM

That must be frustrating. I think the self doubt part can be paralyzing as it undermines your confidence which makes everything harder. From some of your posts that I've read, I think you are a very strong person with a very can do attitude. I don't know if this is helpful, but I read of a person who uses a rubber band on her wrist to write brief messages to herself. She described using little post it notes to wrap around the rubber band when she thought she might be doing something potentially dangerous/damaging. Such as "running water in tub" or "left burner on." I hope this doesn't sound silly, If it works…
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:10 AM

You're right, Lane; stress is not good for us.

Athos, I think you have something, there! I usually have strategies for using the stove. For example, I set my time for 5 minute intervals and keep my range hood light on to remind myself that something is on the stove, if I have to leave the kitchen. Usually what I cook takes only a few minutes, because I only heat things up, I don't really cook.

I can make up strategies for using the tub. I will use my timer. But most of all, I just won't leave the bathroom while the water is running. I'll bring a book or magazine and wait until it reaches the level I want. I prefer baths to showers in the winter, but I will take more showers and limit the baths. My skin is drying up and I feel more hydrated with baths. But, I must do what I have to do to keep my independence. I don't want my neighbors to complain that I'm causing problems.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:15 AM

OMG. I am sorry this happened to you...What a mess for you to clean up on your own! Yes, I was thinking the timer also for both cooking and running a bath. Keep the timer near the bath so you can remember to use it. Also I would get a 2nd timer for the kitchen to be on the safe side. Moreover, I am going to take my own advice because I could definitely see me doing something like this on any given day. Be safe (((Iris))).
Agent 99
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:31 AM

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/home-security-solutions-alarm-systems-miscellaneous-alarms-bathtub-water-level-alert-alarm-bta-p=4091

http://ndipat.org/blog/bathtub-water-level-alarms/

Iris,
Check these out. If one day the phone rings while you are waiting for the tub to fill or if you need to go into another room or for any reason that you leave the bathroom while tub is filling this may be a good back up plan. I'm sorry you had to deal with such a mess.

w/e
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:52 PM

Iris, try not to be too scared! Gee, you are doing GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!
You are are a wonder to the medical establishment! Everything you are doing is fantastic... don't change... just maybe from time to time little pinch of adjustment, as needed here and there, to make your life easier.
But... what a pain in the butt to have to get all that water out!... live and learn...

(1) Stress, stress, stress... killer #1 for the neurons in the brain! Sooo... breathe, breathe, breathe... meditate... do stretching exercise...listen to music and softly dance... look at books of works of art... or better still, do some art, it is very relaxing... Remember to inhale your orange and lavender essential oils and to drink your soothing teas. Chamomile. Lemon balm.

(2) When I am multitasking: writing, talking on the phone, and cooking all at the same time... I ALWAYS, ALWAYS set the kitchen timer (it is super loud). I take often to my study or the bathroom a hand held inexpensive timer to remind me to stop doing something or to check on something. One has to be firm about setting a timer ALL the time.

(3) For your dry skin, try a Vitamin E moisturizing cream. I have used Swiss brand and also Jason... They have worked fantastically well for me and for my husband. Also minimize the use of soap. Use a gentle soap. And the water, in the shower or in the tub, that is too hot is a no-no. I use baby shampoo for my hair. My hair is super short for easy care. If it is good for a baby, it must be good enough for me. My daughter has used Aveeno (sp?)moisturizing cream for her body. It has worked for her.

Love ya

Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:35 PM

Iris, I so sorry this happened to you and you had to clean up the mess. But thankfully you knew what to do and handled it well. Everyone has offered wonderful ideas for coping skill and I'm sure you'll lock on to something that will work for you.

Please don't get discouraged or beat yourself up. These things happen. they especially happen to me when I try to do more than one thing at a time. I just can't do it. I must concentrate on the task at hand and nothing else.

Hang in there. You will survive and I know you'll come up with the perfect way to beat this!

God bless, Paul

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:58 PM

Ilee, I have timers. 2 very loud timers. But I just didn't think to use them.

Agent 99, thanks for the links for the bathtub alarms. The one with the thermometer apparently was out of stock in 2012, and Amazon doesn't have it in stock. If I can't locate that one, I will order the other one. That's a great idea for me, thanks for locating the links.

w/e, I was in a very bad way after that happened. I felt like I was in a deep hole. I have always been able to solve whatever problem I was confronted with. Now, at this point in my life, new problems pop up seemingly out of nowhere, and I have to scramble to figure out solutions to issues I never thought of before. It's very scary. But I am strengthening myself spiritually and emotionally and working on reversing this shock to my psyche.

Paul, you're right. One of the things I have to realize and accept, is that I can no longer multitask--at least for certain things. In our society, multitasking is the thing to do--we pride ourselves on how much we can multitask. But multitasking has to become a part of my past.

I have to focus on one thing at a time in order to function successfully. In order to function catastrophe-free. And it's OKAY!

Iris L.