RSS Feed Print
Early onset and aggression behaviors
eelohm
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:55 AM

My 57 yo brother has had the disease for at least 10 years. Not sure exactly when the symptoms started. He's being transported, again, for the 3rd time in three years, to a psych hospital because he's gone after staff. No rhyme or reason for his outburst. He's been moved to five NHs, since being admitted to the first nursing home in September of 2012. In March of 2014, he cleared to go back to NH#3, but NH#3 wouldn't take him back. Found NH #4, but it wasn't a good long term fit. In November 2014, he was confined to a wheelchair and wasn't eating. Director at NH#4 felt he wasn't going to last long another 2 months and suggested hospice. In December 2014, I got him into a nursing home close to us, with an eye on hospice. (it was NH#1.) He likes it there, gained 20 pounds and is walking well. But as his health "came back," so did the aggression and acting out. He got upset at the staff this morning (2/24/15) and tried to hit his nurse. He's been transported to the local hospital, to be evaluated. I know they will send him to a psych hospital in Cleveland. The ice, the snow, the cold, the pot holes, will make visiting him tough, not to mention the parking fees. I'm anticipating I'm going to have to move him to ANOTHER NH. I'm tired of the emotional roller coaster ride. Plus, this brutal arctic air hasn't helped my disposition, either. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me??
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:45 AM

Eelohm, if you post on the Caregivers board, you will find members who can help you with this issue. You have posted on a board for us patients. The Caregivers board is the first one on the Discussion Board.

Iris L.
eelohm
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 11:50 AM

thanks!
alz+
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 1:44 PM

a late response...

since no 2 people react the same during this illness it is hard to give advice.

However, an agitated person who becomes aggressive is in my world reacting to a problem by proclaiming it LOUDER through physical expression. Or perhaps aggression is the alz equivalent of screaming for help.

No one can sit in solitude for long without going nuts. Think solitary confinement and its effect on people or animals. Lack of exercise causes many formerly active people to start with agitation. GET ME OUT OF HERE means pretty much what it says. The person i s suffering from boredom, restraint, lack of companionship, lack of happiness.

I realize more and more that my solutions are for a different world where people had support and safe places (both patient and caregivers). Frankly, this man's reactions seem straightforward. The obvious things would be some challenging physical experience every day, walking on sand, swimming, rowing, walking, walking a dog, and so on. What suits his personality and physical abilities. A massage therapist has a chance to look for pain while giving human connection.

Also check for source of chronic pain - a toothache, a wound, hemorrhoids, ear infection, foot problems, clothing that hurts, a back ache.

Then we have the problems of people who do not know how to touch a person with dementia, how to talk to us, how fast movements can seem threatening.

This is more than most people want to know or understand.

If all else seems good, I would investigate Medical Marijuana. Its basic property is to harmonize body and mind. The man might be happy to investigate a flower garden after ingesting cannabis, or to listen to music, or do some physical activities he has not been able to do without it.

I am very concerned for this man and those who want to help him and do not know how to control his rage. There is a source of his rage, it takes a calm appraisal to figure it out.

and then when you do, it changes again.

Sending love to him.