RSS Feed Print
caregiving through poetry
daffydon
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 7:00 PM

I am Don, caregiver for my wife Elsie. As our world gets more restricted I think writing may be a way to express what we are going through. This is just a trial effort to get use to the message boards. I can say things this way.
I used the attachment system rather than putting the poem in the body of this message. I tried copying and pasting, but it took up too much space.
Don...

File Attachment(s):
Traveling Together.doc (24576 bytes)

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:11 PM

Your words and thoughts flow very nicely, Don. Write, write and write some more. About your love for life. And for Elsie. Two lovers. Inseparable. Traveling together. A beautiful and blessed love story. I'm looking forward to upcoming installments. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 11:30 AM

Better to be the care-giver, Don. Than the one being cared for. In my 13 years as an Alzheimer care-giver, never once did I flinch and want to trade places with my dear sweet Jeanne. Yes, I'm better suited to being the carer. The provider. Though it took a while to learn the rudiments. Which meant taking good care of myself, too. With adequate respite. Then I became a sterling care-giver. Reminding myself. Constantly. That I was the one in the most enviable position. I dread becoming the victim. Of Alzheimer's. Instead, I became the beneficiary. Learning how to do the right thing. For my longtime true love. In the process, I was rewarded. By becoming a better human being. With absolutely no regrets. --Jim
Chuck
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2015 10:31 AM

Wrote this one day while visiting my wife:

Willpower

Sitting here with you is a privilege

watching you breathe slowly with

a dribble of saliva on your lower lip as you doze

oblivious to my presence

It's an honor to have another

minute or two with you

time to enjoy your spontaneous laugh

and the twinkle in your eyes