RSS Feed Print
Reality check
GwenD
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 10:17 PM

Yesterday the dr put me on aricept which is what I have wanted, but this makes my diagnosis real. He said there is no need to have another mri, in October I will do the psychological testing again.

It's just so definite, depressed today. Husband wondering what's up, I try to explain.

I know I have to drudge through this setback and get back to life. It's hard to pick yourself up.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 11:41 PM

I did a lot of journaling when a geriatrician insisted that I had dementia. For example, I wrote a list of "what having Alzheimer's disease means to me."
1. I won't live too much longer.
2. I will need to live in a nursing home.

and so forth.

For each example, I wrote whether this is true or not. What is the evidence?

What is the truth about those beliefs?

I was able to bring myself about by figuring out truths, not myths, about AD.

It didn't happen overnight. The deepest depression lasted for about 4 months. But I came through it. Hallelujah!

We will be here for you, Gwen. Hopefully, the Aricept will stabilize you, and you will enjoy your life again.

Iris L.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:51 AM

Gwen,

Yes, it's definite.

Several years ago I gan a speech thus:

I have Early Stage Alzheimer's and I'm going to i.e.. Not today, not tomorrow and maybe not for years.

There are several of us on these boards who have been posting here for years.

More and more we are learning of folks who have slowed down the progression of their dementia to a very slow creep.

By being proactive for yourself and participating in what we call Best Practices, you can join us.

If the Aricept gives up GI problems, try going lactose free.

If you are getting sleep disturbances, take the pill in the morning. Don't drive until you see what effect it has. It can cause drowsiness, which why the usual directive is to take in the evening.

Lisa Ramey
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 8:56 AM

Gwen
Been where you are. Iris is correct it does take a while to get through but you will. Give your Aricept a chance it may be a blessing in disguise. Also be good to yourself, rest meditate,enjoy comfort food what ever you need to help you in your journey. Here for you if you need me.
Lisa

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 9:04 AM

I totally agree with what Mimi wrote. I think she explained it quite well.

Everyone has adjustments throughout this journey - this is one of many. However, medications, best practices, etc that should be your focus.

This is exactly why these boards are so vital - to help and encourage one another.

eagle

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 2:24 PM

eaglemom wrote:

This is exactly why these boards are so vital - to help and encourage one another.

I agree.

Iris L.

GwenD
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 4:53 PM

Thank you all for the support and information
alz+
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 6:47 PM

GewnD -

LOVE your dog photo. My dog did most of the hand holding after my diagnosis became real. Absolutely best care partners.

You do not have to go to 10 mg on Aricept, and nurse advised me to drink LOTS of water -I use drugs.com to look bad effects and when my skin turned into giraffe patterns of large thick brown spots I found this was a rare reaction to Aricept so I quit.

No, they were not age spots, as 2 doctors said but an allergic reaction.

I switched from Aricept et al to Medical Marijuana and have been content with that.

Very content.

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:38 AM

(((((Gwen)))))),

It hurts when we have to sit with the pain of our reality and deal with the emotions...we have to give ourselves permission to do that and be okay where we are at in our process. Others will always move to fix us or try to fluff it up and we can simply say "there is no right or wrong way of dealing with this and I need you to just accept how I feel and support me." I don't think we can come to acceptance if we do not allow ourselves to feel and work through the pain. Getting to the stage and point of acceptance takes work and at times just surrendering to the pain, the sorrow and vulnerability.

I grapple back and forth...think I'm okay and then the smallest thing can knock me to my knee's and I'm down for the count!

We're all here to hold you up Gwen...

Love & hugs!

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:17 AM

Llee
your sentiments can not be repeated often enough. I have accepted my diagnosis now and have my home life improved to a large extent. It has been 3 years I pretty much knew, over 2 years since diagnosis.

Because I am so familiar with ALZ I had a different experience in some ways and I never feel the illness will make life a living hell for me or anyone anymore.
And frankly, my life has already been a living hell at different times and again, no one can predict the future, and in the greater perspective (which does help me calm myself) people are suffering all over the world in ways much more fundamental than I am. Warm, dry, food and water, dog ok, Husband in good mood, sun is out. Today, even still recovering from the food poisoning, is a better day than 1000s I've had.

I do believe when a friend told me his Mom had ALZ and I asked how they were handling the diagnosis he said very calmly, "We're taking it philosophically." That one statement has guided me ever since.

Each us finds our own perspective and builds our own world as best we can and sets a course.
The illness itself has anxiety aspects which are to the moon for some of us. Being able to hear from others with the illness through the boards makes me so happy, or bucks me up enough to keep going.

Love and Courage could not get my old computer to BOLD, darn it.

Paul Hornback
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:08 AM

Gwen, llee, and alz+, I agree with you in that we all come to a point in our experience when we accept our diagnosis and move forward. For some its quickly, for others it takes time. Sure there are set backs where we momentarily slip back into denial and even depression.

But when we've acknowledge our situation, get started on the Best Practices, apply new coping skills, adjust to a new normal, and begin to forgive ourselves for the mistakes we make, then we are pressing forward and facing this disease head on.

It didn't take me long to acknowledge my diagnosis as I new things were headed south for a while. Now I'm at peace, content, and enjoying each new day. I still have lots of things I can do that bring purpose to my life.

I immensely enjoy these boards and each person that contributes. They are my lifeline! Even when I don't comment on a post, I read them and feel connected to others on the same journey as me.

Thanks again to all who contribute so much to make the lives of others diagnosed or those dealing with this disease so much better.

God Bless, Paul

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:36 AM

and in the greater perspective (which does help me calm myself) people are suffering all over the world in ways much more fundamental than I am. Warm, dry, food and water, dog ok, Husband in good mood, sun is out. Today, even still recovering from the food poisoning, is a better day than 1000s I've had.

alz+ and Paul,

I feel uplifted after reading your posts this morning! Thank you!

People are suffering all over the world w/o the fundamental and basic needs for safety, security, food, clean water etc. Things could be much, much worse for anyone of us! I am grateful to have a nice bed to get into and a roof over my head...there are so many blessings to count!