RSS Feed Print
Public Speaking Engagement - Advice Needed
Despera-termined
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 8:41 AM

I will be the keynote speaker at a quarterly ladies auxiliary meeting in May and I have read where several of you have given and still give public speeches with our limitations. This shall be my first since having more difficulties and I certainly don't want to flip, flop and fizzle.

Before, I would use cue cards or an outline to trigger my thoughts and I would go off that. I am afraid that may not work this time and I need to be better prepared.

I could write it out completely and read it, but I feel my effectiveness would not be as great. Another issue is I don't want to get so distraught over being perfect that I send myself into a "tizzy."

Any tips or suggestions on how you maneuver through your speeches would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS - I never can get this blasted bold feature to work so I improvised and wrote it in Word, copy and pasted and voila. I'm not shouting at you, just trying to help you see it better. LOL

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 8:58 AM

Hi Despera-termined.

I'm giving a talk this Wed. and this is what I'm gdoing.

I have written it on my computer.

Every day, I say it out loud. It's amazing how I keep editing it.

The day of the talk I'll print it out in very large type and staple the pages together. You can say something at the beginning about excuse me for my cheat notes, but I want to tell you everything I've planned to say.

When I begin talking, I'll keep my left finger on my place. That way I can look up at the audience as I complete each sentence, but still keep track of where I am.

Read your speech out loud, several times before you get there.

Good luck.

And if you make a mistake, laugh and use it as an example of why you are diagnosed as you are.

PS. I had to click twice before the bold took. Writing and then coming here is an excellent idea. I do it for a while and then I feel it takes too long.

llee08032
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 9:16 AM

Mimi & Despra,

I am sure both your speeches will be very good and filled with heart felt content. Our voices will be heard through the both of you! Imagine all of us cheering you on while your giving your speeches. Please share them with us if you like. Thank you!

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 1:50 PM

Paul, Mine is at a "Take Back the Night" and is also a celebration of my 25 years involvement in a program for victims of Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence.
alz+
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 6:49 PM

I do not know enough to be anxious about being part of a panel discussion so I was interested in advice given to you.

I will make large print cards with key points. I ramble on and go off on tangents and a 95 year old woman at the meet up walked out because I was taking up her time!

The group kept asking me to tell more even when she was making comments and griping. Anyway, I have spoken during Q&A before and ended up taking questions which was odd and I would lose my train of thought, and then said "What I wanted to say just went some where else" and smiled. No one ever complains.

Would love to read your speech here on boards. As long as we remain unashamed of any halts or lost trails people so appreciate it. Good for you!

also on BOLD: I write the stuff, then highlight it, then hit Shift plus Control and B, the bold button no longer works on this little computer my son got me.

Paul Hornback
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 7:18 PM

Despera and Mimi,

good luck with your talks. I know you will both knock it out of the park!

I also have to use note cards or have the speech written out and I practice it a lot! I think it helps and although I still can't remember it, it helps to go over it if for no other reason than to calm my nerves.

Good luck and do us proud. I know you both will be excellent. I'm so very proud that you are both courageous enough to do these talks/speeches. It says loads about who you are!

God bless, Paul

Despera-termined
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 8:44 PM

Thanks to all of you for you advice and encouragement.

Practice, Practice, Practice........just like I use to do on my piano.

Hope everyone has a fabulous week!!!

It worked alz+..............Thanks