RSS Feed Print
How Often Do You All See Your Neuro or Dr. Who Treats yout Early Onset
Lisa Ramey
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:14 AM

Hey guys,
I see my Neuro every 3 months. I think that is to often. I am noticing more changes in memory and staying focused. Thoughts float in and float away. I joke with hubby that I have Teflon Brain nothing sticks. I am still on Aricept 10mg no Namenda it exacerbates my arthritis.
Thanks
Lisa Ramey

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:14 AM

Hi Lisa,
My reaction is that since you're seeing many changes, three months is not too long a time. Have you asked if there is any substitute for the Namenda?

Lisa,
I can't remember. Are you able to follow aggressively the Best Practices?

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:17 PM

Lisa,

I was seeing neurologist every month for a period of time and now I'm down to 3 mos also. I'm not sure what the norm is between appts.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:51 PM

My neurologist told me I did not have to come back to see him after he diagnosed me as cognitive impairment nos and I was on maintenance dosages of Exelon patch and Namenda. However, the primary care physician refused to refill my Exelon patch prescription, saying it was a specialty drug and she was unwilling to prescribe it. So my neurologist agreed to see me. I go once a year.

I don't believe PCPs know enough to treat patients with dementia or cognitive impairment.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:03 AM

All I can do is to report how DH's neurologist has handled his situation. You must remember each physician and patient vary, thus the time they want to see you varies.

At first diagnosis DH saw the neurologist every 2 weeks. That is when he was first being put on the medications. Then slowly it was every other month, up to 3 months, then up to 6 months. At his last neurologist appointment I voiced a concern I was seeing in him (and he had mentioned it during the visit) so he is back to 3 months. That is assuming nothing alarming happens during the 3 month period.

Each patient is different, each physician is different and you need to remember that you can see them whenever you have a concern.

eagle

Lisa Ramey
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:49 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies.
wwkayaker
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:24 PM

I see my neuro every six months or so. I would prefer less often but with drug plan requirements that's the minimum for me. I know that he is supposed to assess the progression of alz but I dread going and hearing those three words to remember when it's been a while since I could remember even one.
GwenD
Posted: Saturday, May 9, 2015 10:54 PM

Those three words, ha. I went to dr yesterday and all I could think about before the appt. was what about those three words. He didn't even ask me!
Paul Hornback
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:28 PM

Lisa, I see my Neurologist every six months now. In the beginning it was monthly, then every 3 months. Now its just every six months to check my status and make sure I have the medications I need and I'm sleeping okay.

God bless, Paul

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:06 PM

Hey Paul, It's so good to see you back. I sorely missed you and your words of wisdom.

I'm up to yearly visits with my neurologist.

I seem to be fairly stable.

And I live about 120 miles from NYC. My daughter drives up to get me, take me to the doctor's and then drive me back. We are both feeling sorry for daughter who must take time off from work to do so.

He hasn't asked me those questions in ages. It was never the same question. And always, like out of no where.

Sometimes I got them and sometimes I didn't. And it doesn't bother me if I don't know the answer. That's why I'm going there.