RSS Feed Print
Natural remedies
Foxfarm
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2015 2:01 PM

Foxfarm
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2015 2:02 PM

Has anyone ever heard that coconut oil or capsules taken internally help with the brain and memory?
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2015 6:13 PM

I have heard of coconut oil for just about everything. But when it became a fad my concern was that it is a saturated fat...and solid at room temperature.  I never checked it at body temp. I also do not digest fats well, so I stick to salmon, nuts, and avocados for fats. 

I'd be interested in what you were thinking though.

Hi, and welcome.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2015 9:11 PM

The answer seems to be yes and no.  Coconut oil does not seem to help those with Alzheimer's disease who have the Apoe4 gene perhaps because of the saturated fats. Certain compounds in coconut oil such as ketones, ferulic acid, and p-coumaric acid may help to a certain degree with mood (increased calmness) and to a limited degree with cognition because they are antioxidants. 

From Alzheimer's Reading Room (July 31, 2012)

Possible Explanations for Potential Benefit in Alzheimer’s Disease

If one wished to try coconut oil as a health supplement, virgin (unrefined) coconut oil would be preferable since it contains higher levels of beneficial “polyphenols” (specifically, ferulic acid and p-coumaric acid).

Polyphenols in coconut oil could be potentially useful for Alzheimer’s (and other diseases) since they act as antioxidants. Antioxidants help temper the harmful effects of inflammation, e.g., free radical production, which causes so much damage in Alzheimer’s and other diseases involving tissue degeneration.

Some other virgin oils have also been reported to be useful for lowering Alzheimer’s pathology in animal models. These include extra virgin olive oil and virgin grapeseed oil, both of which are high in polyphenol content as well. So, one benefit of coconut oil in Alzheimer’s could derive from polyphenols acting as antioxidants.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:27 AM

I bought the cold pressed virgin coconut oil in a 2 pack and take it every day.

does it help? no way to know - however it has helped my dog who had seizures with heavy exercise and her coat is super soft, and she likes it.

I take it and have always had weak fingernails which improved within a month, so it helps with some thing!

there are other natural "remedies" that do give immediate relief from unpleasant symptoms.

I concentrate on stuff that calms my anxiety, and I am pretty sure if you find something that helps you stay calm your cognition is better.  Eliminating stress is possible but takes work and effort.

You can look into essential oils, aroma therapy, hops, lemon balm, and cannabis.

As for medical marijuana which strain works for you depends on the individual. I use Purple Kush to calm and it is very effective, Train Wreck to sleep. If you  live in a legal state ask at a dispensary and lots of info online. There are caveats but I do not have time this morning to go into it, you will find lots of help online searches.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:39 AM

As a person diagnosed with dementia I have strong opinions.

I do believe that prescribed medicine should be the first line of attack. It has been proven to slow down but to not cure dementia. I further strongly believe that the process of diagnosis should be so complete that other reasons for the dementia have been ruled out and the doctor is fairly sure of the type of diagnosis. 

I am also strongly in favor of the patient, and later caregivers ,should be proactive in the attack on the problem. For me, Best Practices is now a proven, highly effective way of prolonging one's stay in the earlier stages.

A lot of the information available on-line and in the press and even on this site, to me is hog wash. But others disagree. And it seems hard to agree on what does no harm. 

I do believe in the effectiveness of some supplements like Omega 3 and antioxidants. For me, coconut oil is not on  list.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:25 AM

Very good suggestions from both alz+ and Mimi.  I am convinced that the best way to treat Alzheimer's disease is with antioxidants.  All the plants alz+ mentioned are powerful antioxidants.  The Mediterranean diet (with fruits, vegetables, and spices) that is part of Best Practices is high in antioxidants (as is a diet from India with turmeric, for instance). If you try aromatherapy, direct inhalation may work best.  Panax ginseng may be another valuable plant for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.

Two medications in the earliest stage of testing--ANAVEX and MMFS-01--have shown promise against Alzheimer's disease.  More news on both should be forthcoming soon. They both appear to be reducing oxidation, although I still think some of the herbs, spices, and essential oils (via aromatherapy) work better in this regard.  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:33 AM

Panax ginseng should be used with caution if you have heart disease.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 10:23 AM

There are so many natural remedies! Walking, nature, working with earth and plants, hot mineral waters, massage, singing, dance, animal companionship, meditation, laughing, being embraced, a good sleep...

If the pharmaceuticals help you, they really help. If you do not respond well to them, it can be really bad.

Mimi has had really excellent health care providers, knowledgeable people who helped her and her medicines have been really beneficial as well as Best Practices which is known to help everyone, if they dementia or not!

When a person is roaming from one doctor to another and being handed prescriptions for everything and enduring side effects - it can be discouraging.

Each of us responds to drugs and stuff differently and we each have  a right to choose what works best for us. My goal is not to live as long as possible, but to have a meaningful life that feels right for myself. There is no One Way for all of us..

Love and courage to everyone!

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:48 AM

alz+ wrote:

Each of us responds to drugs and stuff differently and we each have  a right to choose what works best for us. My goal is not to live as long as possible, but to have a meaningful life that feels right for myself. There is no One Way for all of us..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree.  Doing the best I can right now is my goal...which may look totally different to how someone else treats theirs.  I think we should all be supported to do what works for us.  Share it, of course, because we all like to know what worked for someone. 

alz+
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 11:09 AM

I read somewhere today that being in nature restores a sense of balance within 3 - 5 minutes.

That old "going for a walk" is really useful, especially is I find some bird or animal or tree or flower to get my attention. One of my favorite parts of ALZ is getting lost in the moment.

I have a front loading washing machine that can not drain if dog fur is clogging tiny drain holes so I need to sit on floor and pick out the fur with an old toothbrush or tweezer or whatever.

This concentration is so enjoyable! I did such a good job that when the laundry was done yesterday I wasn't sure it ever got wet! I can watch the birds at feeder for an hour and just be lost in the moment.

Last night my Keeper and I were watching TV with dog asleep and she WOLF HOWLED in her sleep. Never heard this before, I am still thrilled about it. Also sitting in rental hot tub with cold winds blowing trees above me and I am GONE someplace else.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 9:10 PM

I love that. 

At the Courage Center, there are crab apple trees that have lost their leaves...and they have soooo many red apples on them that the branches weep down.  I have never seen anything so beautiful (maybe I have, but not in that moment).  I could stare at them all day.

Sometimes the baby is sooo cuddly and warm...and she just wants to snug next to me.  I could breathe her in all day.

Or the dog is so soft that I could pet him forever. 

I really love the deep-ness to the blue in the sky in this state...it is like it goes on forever.  Or the way the yellow leaves are so striking against the blue. 

Even the creepy November-y Halloween-y clouds has their own magic. 

Your words inspire me Alz+ to go look at nature.

I think walking is good for the soul in many ways.  I like also stretching every muscle and moving every joint in its range of motion. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, November 6, 2015 11:21 PM

I feel the same way about your beautiful descriptions, alz+.  Nature restores us; it gives a chance to breathe, a chance not to be judged.  We can just admire all that is around us.

My mother loved to take walks/hikes on the wilderness beaches of Olympic National Park. When she had Alzheimer's, she seemed to be most at peace when we would take her to some of the beautiful gardens in the West.  This article reminded me of her.

Alzheimer's Gardens Heal With Nature

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96563&page=1

TheSteven
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2015 6:05 PM

I have been using coconut oil myself for a while and I believe it has helped me.  The coconut oil when digested breaks down into medium chain triglycerides (MCT) to allow the brain to use ketones instead of glucose for metabolic functions as according to “Stop Alzheimers Now” by Bruce Fife and “Awakening From Alzheimers” by Peggy Sarlin.  There have many cases of others using this treatment since we have a decreased amount of glucose in our brains.  My hypoglycemia is in my front temporal lobes as well as cerebellum so I need something for the brain to use for energy.  Again, this information an a lot more is in my blog at http://thestevenalztreatment.blogspot.com/

I have only used it in the morning and I notice that I ‘slow’ down in the afternoon and I am going to try to take it the second time as I am supposed to do.