RSS Feed Print
Holidays can be tough.
Lisa428
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:36 PM

Hi to All,

Holidays can be tough on PWD and Caregivers. Personally, I love the holidays but I do struggle to keep up with everything.

Now that I  am declining, I forget almost everything! Walk into a room and wonder why I am there.  I am forgetting more and more.  I get confused about appointments, shopping and caring for my Dad.

It scares me a bit but I just have to keep moving slowly forward.  Sometimes, I even need to take a nap.

I will never give up Hope that my spirit will survive all this.

Wishing Everyone Happy Holidays!

Don't forget, if you need help, please call our 24/7 toll free helpline @800-272-3900.

Peace and Hope.

Lisa

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 6:51 PM

Lisa,

You know you have many, many long distance friends. I just wish we could be there in person to lend a hand.

Stay as strong as you can; but it's OK to say "I need ME time."
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 12:07 AM

Hi, Lisa!  I know that I cannot keep up with everything, so I must pick and choose.  

It's okay not to do everything! 

We can make new traditions.

Merry Christmas, Lisa!

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 7:19 AM

Lisa  -  I found sending Christmas cards too much, yet I managed to write 2 and find stamps and then lost  stamped cards in house.

I did rewrite one card to my 95 year old Mom and got it in mail.

I posted on Fb "This is my Christmas message - I love you all now and always will" as probably my last attempt.

The increase in difficulty figuring out how to do things is like a long shadow.

Your presence here is always so gentle. Enjoy the season and  do take care of  your inner peace. We add nothing good to situations when we get overwrought or in my case, have a breakdown with a long recovery.

Smile at the shortcomings, it puts everyone at ease. Merry Christmas to all!

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 8:57 AM

Well said Lisa. And yes you have many many long distance friends.

The holidays are tough, loud music almost everywhere you go, restaurants are full & more noisy than normal, more people are out, parties to attend, decorations to do, on and on. So much stimulation everywhere. So...........  we don't participate in those things.  I found we were doing too much and he was having troubles with all of it. It was quite easy to realize DH was more important than a party - and I called explained we'd not be there and that was that.

Also you get out of the normal routine your used to which causes troubles. You do what you can Lisa and that is that. There is nothing wrong with a nap - it recharges your battery. 

Merry Christmas 

eagle

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 9:39 AM

Dearest Lisa:   You are a gentle and loving person who has given so much of herself to so many.  You have been an excellent RN in your career, and that kind of keeps one in that mode of being responsible for everyone else's care, but sometimes we have to pass the baton.  I have hopes that you can find someone in the family who is willing to step in much more for your father's daily care.  Stress is not good in these circumstances and will add to the challenges.  You ARE a person who keeps putting one foot in front of the other, and I have admired and respected you ever since I met you.

You have so many friends here who care for you deeply.  I wish we could be there with you in person, but we are there with you in spirit.  Please find time to take care of you and perhaps let others gift you with relief in some ways too; a little indulgence would be nice. 

This year, we have let go of a lot we have alway done that brought us a bit of stress and lots of overwork, and it is okay.  I hope you can ask others in the family for assistance for yourself, and to bring respite to you; it is well deserved. 

With love and a bushel basket filled with hugs,

J.