RSS Feed Print
Sharp stabbing pains in head?
llee08032
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 8:44 AM

I get these sharp stab like pains in various places in my head that come and go w/in several seconds and sometimes a little longer. They just seem to come out of nowhere and come and go throughout the day. Any ideas of what could be the cause? Of course I forgot to mention this to my neurologist on my visit 2 weeks ago. I'm not doing well with writing things down these days. I keep putting my notebooks away when my granddaughter comes and then I forget about them. 

My friend (and I found out after speaking to my ex) my son also are noticing more my forgetting and getting lost. My son is apparently crying to his father about things that he is noticing. Sometimes I want to talk to him (my son) and I feel he's going to get emotional and I pull back. It's as if all of a sudden he has turned into my father vs my son with a million questions about this and that and if I'm going to be okay? My ex said on the phone that I have always been so strong and the backbone of the family and my sons are having a hard time seeing me vulnerable or picturing me in any other way. I still act as if I am strong and of course I am still strong and try to assure both sons that I am okay. It's just getting harder to hide the confusion I feel inside and perhaps I'm more transparent than I realize.

TheSteven
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 9:23 AM

Hi llee08032,

Sorry to hear about your headaches. Been there, had that. I have posted before but have you looked in your mouth to determine if your headaches and memory issues may be caused by mercury amalgam dental fillings? If you have ever had any of those dark fillings it may now be causing your problems. See http://amalgam.org/education/scientific-evidenceresearch/results-removal-amalgam-fillings/ or http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/02/Sep02/091602/80027dde.pdf

I believe that is what happened in my case and many others so that you might be able to do something about it. If you do have some mercury fillings, see the other links and books listed in my July 4, 2015 blog entry at http://thestevenalztreatment.blogspot.com for information about removal and steps I have taken to remedy until then. It may serve to be helpful.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 9:35 AM

The fillings seem to be a current concern everywhere that you might research.

Please call your Dr.

I do want to share something . A big regret I have is not talking to my husband about dying. He brought it up only once. He said "I think I am dying". I was making up the bed and not paying attention. I wish I had asked if he wanted to talk about it. I remember the moment clearly but not until he was gone.

I hope this was appropriate.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 9:43 AM

((Hugs)).

It IS some thing...but I can no remem what.  I used get too.  Found once.  Onl remem that I no need worry bout.  Wish could be bett help than that.

There be no eas way tell family this disease.  It be progressive and terminal.  In many ways it no be ok.  In other ways, it is be ok...we can be happ, get good care, be in good space with it.

When I tell my mom, most recent.  She in much denial, drag feet things she need do long go...very much need do now.  I say, Mom...this be onl get worse, soon I no be able care you...may onl 6 month more.  I like be dead by year end.  I am ok emotions this, an I have good workers help me, well support...but you need get present to what be come.  It still no help, she still drag feet.

I tell my workers, I be real need help meds...bath...all eve thing els.  I to point I be need peop bring me food say eat, tell me go bath, tell me take meds.  They still no check eve if I took them.

I fail big time figure out how tell others this...get them here. 

I do know there some books for kids this.  Some said, name book why gramma put undie in fridge.  I no ever seen books.

This be good topic, we should be talk bout.  Wish could be more help there too. 

But *warm smile* I sure can empathize, wrap you in warm hug...understand.  <3

llee08032
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 6:45 PM

Jfkoc,

It's appropriate. I am so, so sorry for your loss. Perhaps he would have brought it up again had he really needed to talk about it. There is no way of knowing. But I'm sure he felt understood and that your communication with each other surpassed words. With the loss of a loved one it is not uncommon to feel pangs of regret for things we think we should have known, done or said.  Know that you did your best and remember the love and kindness and all the good that you did!

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:14 PM

Thanks...I feared I might be overstepping.

I miss my husband like crazy but between you me and anyone else reading he was something else. He lived life like he was Peter Pan. He was a fearless Navy nightfighter carrier pilot and then flew for the CIA in Nam and Laos. Thankfully I was not married to him then. He was, always "foolishly fearless". It was like a protective shield around me, who is a stellar worrier.

Anyway we had a good life  together...all the way through.

alz+
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 7:24 PM

JFKOC - I am so sorry, those missed moments when we rethink what we could have done...

Our bishop talked to us a few weeks ago about when someone comes into your mind out of the blue, some one who has died, that they are an actual presence-as-memory reminding us they are still there. Not ghosts, but you know alive in our memory is real thing.

My Dad comes into my head now and then, and women friends who all died in past 5 years. Now when I have those thoughts I talk to them!

My Dad has been giving me warnings for a long time. I woke up a month ago to him saying "Be Careful!" I knew he meant for me to check something with my sister, and I did, and it was a good thing.

Next time your husband comes to mind ask him about this, if he wished you had opened a discussion about dying. You might get an "instant message" or some other confirmation that out of the 10000 days you loved him there was a moment he wished was different - .

what a kind person you are, he was a lucky guy.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 25, 2016 8:51 PM

Messages? I had gotten three distinct one in the form of things written in a book that I have happened to pick up. I was told to "be open". I hope I am right.

I do talk to him.  Usually "Well,  Ollie....this is another fine mess you have gotten us into".

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:20 PM

Wow, what a guy! He's your angel now.I used smell my late husband at odd times just out of the blue and sensed him there with me. He would come to me in dreams comfort me and help me find things.  

alz+,

I think your preacher is right about our deceased loved ones popping into our thoughts and being near us.

Suds
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:32 PM

I too have the headaches (stabbing pains) I am on Aricept and Namenda and it states that headaches can be a side effect, are you taking in of the meds?

Suds
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 9:32 PM

I too have the headaches (stabbing pains) I am on Aricept and Namenda and it states that headaches can be a side effect, are you taking in of the meds?

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:44 AM

Hi Suds,

No, I had bad reactions from both the meds. I hope they are working well for you. I haven't seen you for awhile. How are you?

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 7:26 AM

Does anyone have issues with tactile sensations? I feel these tickling like sensations like bugs are crawling on me. This morning it felt like my right foot was not bending when I was walking and I was walking with a gait. I feel rigid and stiff in my movements and notice I am walking much slower than before. I know this sounds strange but it feels like my body is crooked at times. Like I'm misaligned. Sometimes I think I can see the crookedness with clothes laying different on one side. I cannot tell if this crooked feeling is real or or false perception or sensation?
Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:01 AM

Llee, do call your neurologist.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 1:20 PM

Again, Mimi is right.  Sudden new symptoms need to be brought to the neurologist's attention.  Write down in a journal what is happening, because when the time comes to speak, you won't remember what to tell the doctor.

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 5:17 AM

The symptoms have been present for more than a year maybe even around 2 years. I may have already mentioned this to the Dr.? I have to return in 3 mos so I'll be sure to write it down this time.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 6:25 AM

L lee - the changes in walking.

I sometimes trudge, head bent forward. When it first started happening I was not aware but one day walking with dog I saw my shadow. I decided to try to walk "normally". It took several days but I did get my normal gait back.

I have back pain and sometimes I walk bent over from that but the other is different.

Like forgetting how to smile, I can still make myself walk better, and sometimes try that with smiling at same time just for an experiment.

You must have a neurologist who has open appointments and who gives you information.

Really lucky. I have had the sharp stabbing pains in left side of my head for many years, I think it is either blood pressure or neck/nerve problems. I used to have migraines (since age 13) but since ALZ have not had them.

Regarding Ice Pick Headache pain:

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/types-of-headaches-35919-5.html

Ice Pick Headaches - The Basics

the "official" name is primary stabbing headache

by Teri Robert, Lead Health Guide

These startling, sometimes frightening head pains have been described in various ways:

• In the beginning, when I began having migraines, I suffered a sudden slash of pain, very intense and quick on the right side of my head. It started at one point and webbed out to what it felt like a inch in length. I had never felt this type of pain and it scared me.
  • They are intense, sharp, stabbing pain about your skull, as if you were being stabbed with an ice pick.
  • I was just wondering if anyone gets sudden pains in their heads. It can be in the front sometimes, or sometimes it's in my temple. It really varies.
  • I was awakened at 3 a.m. by excruciating, stabbing pains on the top right front of my head, kind of behind the eye. lasted about 30 seconds.
  • I get those types of stabbing pains too, I have no clue as to what is causing it. I get them all over my head. They can last for a few seconds to a few minutes. I started noticing them after my migraines started to get to where they were coming about 3-4 days a week
  • In addition, I have these very sudden sharp pains in my head on a daily basis. It feels as if I'm being stabbed in the head.

What are they? They're primary stabbing headache, more commonly called "ice pick headaches." They are short, stabbing, extremely intense headaches that can be absolutely terrifying. They generally only last between five and 30 seconds. However, they come out of nowhere, can strike anywhere on the head, literally feel as if an ice pick is being stuck into your head, then disappear before you can even figure out what's happening. The pain can also seem to occur in or behind the ear.

Under the International Headache Society's International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition (ICHD-3), the official name for them is "primary stabbing headache. Other terms that have been used are ice-pick pains; jabs and jolts; needle-in-the-eye syndrome; ophthalmodynia periodica; sharp short-lived head pain. Ice pick headache is probably the most commonly used term because it's the most descriptive.

• < Page 

Keep us informed if you learn something. Glad to see you up at pre dawn...

llee08032
    Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:16 PM

Hey, I had to catch the worm and get to a meeting at work. See neuro doc every 3-6 mos. I have to get blood work so he wants me back in 3 mos this time. I thought of the BP also. Always had normal-low BP but it's getting up there. 
    Mimi S.
    Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:24 PM

My opinion; sharp pains call for immediate contact. Maybe it's nothing; but let the neuro check it out and then tell you.
    llee08032
    Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 6:38 AM

Thank you for the wise advice Mimi.
    Jo C.
    Posted: Friday, January 29, 2016 1:28 PM

Hi llee, if those "ice-pick" type of head pains are continuing, it really would be best to notify the doctor and really, best to get an urgent appointment.   If the head pain is gone, that is good; but if still there, it really is necessary to see the doctor. 

I know I am a nag, but someone has to do it!  (Grin.)

Here's hoping for feeling better.

J.

joto815
    Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 10:01 PM

I had migraines from my mid-30's until I became symptomatic with eFAD about 7 years ago. After a few years, the pain would send me to an emergency room, it was always stabbing, behind my left eye and put me out for several days at a time. My VERY unsympathetic PCP blames me for going to the ER for the pain, saying that the meds I was given actually caused early-onset ALZ. Fascinating theory, not backed up by much research - especially when you consider the pain preceded the meds by years. I do find research on pain and ALZ to be compelling, but what I read doesn't seem very conclusive. The migraines subsided relatively quickly as I became symptomatic.
    alz+
    Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 7:33 AM

JOTO -my life long migraines ceased after alz developed. Is that what happened to you?

I slipped on ice and fell backward, hit my head on step and low back bottom step weeks ago.  Now I have constant headache, but not migraine. read about post-falling headaches and seems common, can last for weeks or years. great.

I am slow to process physical information...even bruises from fall did not appear for days.

think that is weird.

Jo C - nothing can be done about non concussion head aches? 

I also have had sharp stabbing pains in head more since I READ L lee's post! But if i went to er or doctor over it I would get told it is "anxiety".

even cardiologist said anxiety makes heart "sensations more noticeable" and yet more anxiety and able to exercise and do stuff on heart med.

Trying to get pain medication means NOT being given it. I just don't want to go to doctors anymore unless bleeding profusely.

Just me.

llee08032
    Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 8:36 AM

When Dr's chalk up symptoms to "anxiety" there is an element of blame that gets communicated to the patient for being anxious in the first place. It is a big turn off and set up for the patient who may begin to feel out of control because they are not in control of their "anxiety" if it is even anxiety to begin with. It's no wonder we are such an anti-anxiety medication, pill popping society. 
    joto815
    Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 9:26 AM

alz+ wrote:

JOTO -my life long migraines ceased after alz developed. Is that what happened to you?

That is precisely what happened to me. When I became symptomatic with younger-onset ALZ, the migraines just stopped. It wasn't until later that the neurologist did all the testing to reveal the ALZ, and he offered no explanation for the migraines stopping, and he was the same doctor who treated them.

Oh, and it all started after I slipped and fell backwards on the ice and hit the back of my head.

w/e
    Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 11:31 AM

llee, my DH did not suffer ever migraines... but he did speak to me of a deep sharp pain inside the skull beginning during symptoms of so called  stage 4. The sharp pain would come and go from time to time... After visiting the neuro and informing him of this new symptom,  the Dr., lovingly and jokingly, said to him, "Take two 'aspirins 'and call me in the morning."

Please do consult with your Dr. ...  It could be something or it could be nothing. Or it could be the subtle physiological AD changes going on in/on the cortex of the brain... Or the day-in, day-out ever present floating "negative" feelings, and rightly so, of living with symptoms of dementia... it is not easy.

I hope I am not intruding.

Be well.

alz+
    Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016 5:07 PM

JOTO - how weird is that - we both fell on ice and migraines ended?

Actually, i just recently had the fall which included the head down on step. The migraines did end though about the time the ALZ symptoms became pronounced.

I hope L lee does get a neurologist's opinion on the ice pick in head pain - it feels different to me than random nerve shock pains. Hope it is "nothing" EXTRA for her but still strange.

it is all pretty strange.
    alz+
    Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:31 AM

"Ice Pick Pain"

read about it while avoiding chores at site about how Mold imitates or causes changes that become dementia.

Do a white cloth test under sinks and in bathrooms to check for mold... I am still looking for reversible issues that cause dementia.

boat load of info on headaches that are weird:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Overview_of_Headaches_in_Adults/hic_Less_Frequently_Encountered_Headache_Types

also:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/06/think-like-a-doctor-ice-pick-pain-solved/?_r=0

patient with similar pain symptoms diagnosed with  "hemicrania continua" ... 

doubt this adds much to discussion but avoided doing what I planned for another hour.

llee08032
    Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:22 PM

I'm just catching up and catching on that there is really such a type of migraine known "ice pick" headaches! Jo I thought you were just being very descriptive and could emphasize with stabbing pains in the head. Alz+ and Joto have that behind the eye stab also. All this information fits well with what I've been experiencing. I will let Dr know however, I don't think there is anything to be alarmed about. Thanks for all the caring!