RSS Feed Print
Dad is a comedian?(1)
BLBD
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 1:15 AM

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.  There are times my dad appears to have no problems, and then other days I have no idea who he is or what goes through his mind.  Today was one of those days. He was trying to use the phone. He is losing that ability.  He was pushing numbers on the phone over and over and I could tell he was getting a bit frustrated. I didn't want to say anything to him because in the evenings I never know how he will react. I wait for him to ask or say something to me. My cell phone rang and I answered it.  Then for some reason he thought I was talking to him.  He started talking to me.  I asked my caller to hold on and asked dad if he needed help with the phone.  He asked again how do I type in names to get a phone number?  Sorry but I thought this was funny.  I didn't laugh at the time. I said oh dad you can't do that, you just enter the phone number to call someone.  I asked him who he wanted to call and he didn't really know who he wanted to call so I tried to re-direct him to the tv while I went to the other rom to talk. I still find humor in that so forgive me. I would never let dad know he was funny to me but if I don't laugh at those little things I would feel worse. I keep a notebook of dads life.  There ae many things that I have found to be humorous. If it was for the humor at times I would something else.

If you have any similar stories I would love to hear them. Not that anyone would make the situation worse but it brought a smile to many of the family members to know that dad is still thinking and trying.

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2016 3:58 AM

At least your dad is harmless. In his comedic antics. He might even be able to laugh at himself. I know many of the dementia-riddled that have retained their senses of humor. A blessing, indeed.  I’d try to find innovative ways. For dad to see the humor in his daily life. Anyway, I make my share of daily blunders. We all do. The funniest part is when we don’t laugh at ourselves.  Because we lack a sense of humor. Come to think of it. That may be sad. --Jim

poohbear1973
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:50 PM

MY dad tried to call on his tv remote for months after being placed on a memory care unit. He just couldn't figure out why it would not work. We finally got him a landline phone and he is pretty clear now.  But he does stand up repeatedly and push all the buttons on the answering machine. Like you, I don't ask why. I go to his place and roll with it. He also tried to put a tube of blistex in the battery compartment of his alarm clock. The stories are endless. I have made notes of all the hospital stories. I must start on the memory care ones. Shaving with toothpaste, deodorant on his shirt not his skin, washing with lotion not soap....and the days he says to me "these people are all OLD" and why is he here? Keep moving forward. And laughing. He used to offer strangers money to take him home from the hospital. That was a bit frightening. God bless.
Zolly
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2016 4:01 PM

Oops! Sorry. I could not delete my error.

DaughterAtWitsEnd
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 10:39 AM

Oh, the funny stories are endless and I'm so happy you are all sharing them. We all need to laugh more! My Mom is afraid to answer the phone (for a number of reasons, but mostly because she hallucinates that the neighbor is prank calling her), so she brings the cordless to my dad to answer. She woke him up the other day handing him the tv remote to answer. 

Another funny....my Mom is obsessed with sharing magazines and always thinks whatever comes into her mailbox would be interesting to all of us. She made my dad drive over to my house the other night because she was so worried that my husband would not be able to benefit from her latest magazine that she knew he would just love....it was a Hanes/Bali bra catalog! HAHAHAHAHA!!!