RSS Feed Print
I can not sleep.
julielarson
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 3:35 AM

I took 25mg of Trazodone at bed time and still can not sleep. This is the second night of taking it and I am up after only 5 hours of sleep. Tonight I will take 50 mg of it and see if that does not help.. Anyone else up now?
llee08032
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 6:37 AM

Julie,

I am sorry to hear you are not sleeping and getting needed rest. 25 mg of Trazodone is a low dose. I have been taking it for about 5 years for sleep and take 50 or 100 mg. W/o it I can fall asleep but cannot stay asleep and wake up in the wee hours wide awake. Perhaps the 50 mg may work better and you can get a good night's rest. I do not function well at all w/o a good night's sleep. I do not like taking medications for sleep but Trazodone helps me tremendously and perhaps it is better than taking a narcotic. 

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 7:46 AM

Be cautious when comparing dosages. It has to do with body size, persons personal use of drugs, and tolerance. What works for one mat be way to much for a other.  I would maybe start by splitting the pill if the Pharmacy would say that works on those type pills. Always involve them. I once doubled up on drug and later found out it had the potential of serious results when I shared it with the doctor. This was a very common drug. They said I was lucky nothing happened.

julielarson
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 7:50 AM

I have assurance that I can safely take 50mg of this drug.. I will be doing that tonight..
a_step@a_time
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 2:00 PM

i understand completely.  Sleep is so important.  I have to piece meal sleep.  sometimes my 1mg risperadone works and many times not.  Lately I've tried cutting my tablet because I added .10mg of melatonin. ( A full mg of melatonin was wayyyy too strong for me. My body and brain are so sensative to meds its frustrating!  It sounds like such little meds but higher dosages cause my brain to feel detached from my body. )
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 2:21 PM

Be also aware of good sleep hygiene.  Sleep in a totally DARK room.  Sometimes, even the light from a clock can be too much light.  You might need a sleep mask.

The room must be quiet.  

Do not use the computer for ~ 2 hours or more prior to retiring.  This also applies to the television.

Have a sleep routine that draws you to quieting down.

I have a lot of trouble falling asleep.  My rheumatologist told me about Calms Forte, which is an OTC homeopathic sleep aid.  I have been using it for 5 nights, and I am sleeping better, and sleeping longer.

Iris L.

julielarson
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 8:56 AM

I got 7 hours of sleep last night, that is great compared to 5 the other night.
BillBRNC
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:57 AM

Until several months ago, I rarely ever got more than a couple hours sleep at night. I would just be in bed, eyes open, thinking usually about nothing much, sometimes worrying but not usually. I would get up in the morning and feel ok, so I didn't worry about it too much. A few months ago, my wife finally talked me into taking some type of anxiety medication. I have a strong one, and a different not so strong one. Usually they work great, sometimes I take a second one after a few hours and that usually works. I don't like taking meds to sleep, because I think a person soon needs more and more until they don't work, plus you get crazy when you don't take them. Bad all around I think. I need to find out more about the long term use of these meds, because all the stuff says you shouldn't take them for long period, like forever.  What do others hear from their doctors about taking these things nightly for potentially years?
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 1:39 PM

Bill, I have been using a sleep aid for over twenty years, due to chronic insomnia.  BTW, only a couple of years ago I discovered that I don't have chronic insomnia, but a sleep phase disorder.

In any case, as you said above, it's true.  My brain would become tolerate to the sleep aid after about 3-4 months.  Rather than increase the dosage, I chose to alternate sleep aids.  I had been on Restoril, trazodone, Halcyon. and some others.  

I avoided Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and other anti-histamines, because they gave me next day somnolence and too much grogginess.  I also avoided Xanax.  The benzodiazepines decrease cognition.  Both benzodiazepines and antihistamines should be avoided in people with dementia and older adults,  if possible.

My last sleep aid was Lunesta, which is classified as a non-benzodiazepine.  I did not become tolerant to it, and used it for several years, with good results, meaning, it put me to sleep.  During this time, I began using C-PAP for sleep apnea, and I needed to be able to fall asleep fairly consistently.  

Two years ago I decided to stop the Lunesta.  There is a long withdrawal period.  But, now that I am over the withdrawal period, I do think that my cognition has improved.  I feel more alert, and I can handle my day-to-day affairs somewhat better.  Not a whole lot better, mind you, but a significant amount better, so that I do not want to resume using a sleep aid on a consistent basis again.

My rheumatologist suggested that I use Calms Forte, which is an OTC homeopathic medication.  I have used it for about a week, and I am sleeping better, through the night.

What I suggest for anyone with trouble with sleep is to practice good sleep hygiene.  When I went for my sleep study in the hospital sleep lab, the room was absolutely dark, and absolutely quiet.  The mattress was perfect.  I had complained of insomnia, but I fell asleep quickly.

The other thing I do now to help me fall asleep is to read from a book, usually a mystery or a biography, which helps to quiet my mind.  

I also play what I call "sleep games."  I go over the states and their capitals.  When I run out of states, I do the Canadian provinces and their capitals.  Sometimes I start with the Central and South American countries and their capitals.  Usually, I don't get to all 50 states.  

I also sing songs in my head.  Sometimes, I think about my childhood, or places I have traveled.  Anything pleasant.  All of these help me.

Iris L.

julielarson
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:15 AM

5 hours of sleep on 50mg of Trazodone I need more of it I think.. I will be calling my prescriber today to get an increase in dose...
meg7544
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:53 PM

Hope a larger dose of trazadone works for you.  My DH has EOAD for 12 years now. He has taken trazadone for around 4 years now.  It has helped him with staying asleep.  He is in the late stage now and it has helped to bump him up to 100 mg. He started taking Lexapro around 5 years ago.  As he progressed in the disease, he would get very frustrated.  He does not take a large dose, but it has helped him with his mood.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 6:07 AM

That's how trazodone works for me it helps me to stay asleep. I don't particularly care either for needing med to sleep but I cannot function well at all when I do not get enough rest. 

Julie, I hope you slept better this week.

julielarson
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:00 PM

I did sleep better last night.. What I did was take 50 mg of trazodone and then take another when I woke late into the night.. at around midnight. It worked well to get me to sleep for a full 8 hours..
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 4:45 PM

It seem be part process disease no be sleep...they say it be phase.  I hope they be right.  My body does no seem be miss sleep though.

I have struggled with this many months now.  I have learned few things long way.  Some times what be trouble you is unmet need...like may be you cold or hot an no realize it...or hungry...or need pee...or (big one me) may be you in pain. 

Some nights would be bad nough that I would pace...an fidget bout.  I knew what is likely culprit...but was very hard take my day thoughts into night with me.  I tried putting up signs ask me what could be.  It took bout 6 months learn be take pain med at night...bout just nough time for pain med make me sick...so I do no take it an more. 

I would make my self lay there...an eventually came place where seem like body sleep, but brain wide wide wake.  I made peace that. It seemed work.

I find I can have NO drama my life at all.  An little thing...an my brain will be thinking bout it all night, up all night...trying be figure out what do bout it...be cause brain be just that slow this stuff.

I don't have an real answers the trouble...other than see that all needs met, eve if you think you'd know, an keep life easy stress free...an try find way be peace it. 

Hang in there. 

<3

alz+
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 5:30 AM

speaking of not sleeping...

I recently read about Trazadone and a cousin has been taking it for YEARS.

One thing that works for me is to get up and eat something warm, like some mac and cheese. Or a small bowl of soup and bread and butter. 

The Calms Forte has been mentioned lately too, I think I have some?

I woke up at 4am and was cold, my body temp has dropped, so Keeper and dog came up to my bed and are sleeping next to me, both putting out heat and sleep sounds.

I am feeling weary now = wanted to check boards first as I have been preoccupied all week and missed everyone. CBD oil is giving me initiative, but shingles was making me tired.

Welcome back Iris. Good to see Sun here and L lee and everyone. I do find if I walk a mile or more a day I sleep better. Have been doing a walk and pool workout which was good but not strong enough to handle it.

Also have chest pain a lot - side effect of anti-viral is heart rhythm out of synch. Heart rate is down at 60 lately. I think I will be better in a week or 2.

Love you all! sweet dreams!

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2016 12:53 PM

Hope you be feel bett as well.  Hang in there my friend. 

<3