RSS Feed Print
My adventure in Tooth Extraction begins tomorrow!
alz+
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:15 PM

The oral surgeon's office called today to remind me of 3 pm tooth extraction tomorrow and confirm there will be "no anesthetic". Also be prepared to pay before I have it done. which made me laugh out loud. Reasons why a person would not pay after ran through my head like cartoons.

I asked if I was getting lucky by having the former Canadian hockey player facial surgeon again. Receptionist laughed and said, "Oh no. You're getting dr. ___. All the women want the one you had before! I  know, oh well, it'll be ok, I mean the doctor you have is very good."

The dog likes to hunt outside this place so she and Keeper will be entertained while I rid myself of another chronic aggravation.

Other news: There has been a new male person at the pool where I swim who frightened me. I could not say exactly what it was about him but my alarms went off. He is there almost all day, every day. Well, today a Strong Woman who works out in pool was checking out at same time I was and she was furious.  She used to speak to women about violence and self defense. She told the desk clerk that she will not come back if he is there, and described her radar going off first time she saw him there.

Turns out the desk clerk was also creeped out by him  and that when the power went out the other day he stayed, and she just felt threatened. Plus, when closing she found an unpleasant surprise on the floor in the women's  locker room, he was last person to leave. WARNING much?

He swam up behind me Saturday and I screamed - I put it off to being "visually startled" because I can not seeing anyone approach and not able to hear much either. He did not touch me but I felt a physical threat. The Strong Woman said to give him NO information and if he tries to talk to me again say, "Leave me alone." and not "Please leave me alone." Fortuitus the 3 of us had chance to compare notes!

Anyway, this guy has also creeped out my husband! and Keeper is...not someone other men want to tangle with. So others affirmed my fear which was really helpful. 

I realized what a target I could be by revealing too much. Forces are in motion to have this guy put on notice. Pool closes for summer next week.

Back to tooth adventure - I have comforted myself by being happy the pain will be gone after a year of it, happy I saved $450 bucks by using courage instead of an anesthetic, happy I might lose some weight from not being able to eat much for a few days, and happy I am getting a highly skilled surgeon who is not attractive so I don't say anything over the line.

I used to make short stories out of these adventures. Wish me luck!

julielarson
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:23 PM

Good luck with the tooth extraction. It sounds scary to have that guy around.. I hope they can do something about him soon.
a_step@a_time
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:36 PM

GGood luck Alz!  Let your your GP know... b/c if you have heart issues, they may want to put you on antibiotic.
alz+
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:45 PM

This is my protection, my Zoo Keeper and me 5 years ago...When he is not smiling people give us a wide berth so I feel very safe with him. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 5:07 PM

Ooh, Keeper scared me!  But I'll bet he's really a nice guy!

No anethetic for the tooth extraction?  That's how anesthesia was invented, for tooth extractions.

Well, best wishes.  Get some liquid food to drink, like Ensure or even Carnation Instant Breakfast to mix with milk, because you won't be able to eat.  Maybe, not even that, only water for a day or so.

But you will feel great later with your bad tooth gone!

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 5:35 PM

STEP - thanks! yes,mention heart ventricle whatever.

IRIS - they call the numbing "stickley's"  have no idea but there should be no PAIN.

Have heard the sound of tools is the creepiest. Yes, low income backwoods tooth pulling.

I am so glad I checked in. 

who knows what will happen? 

Also I am afraid of having ALZ and anesthetic...these doctors rebuild faces and intense facial reconstruction and do this as kind of a favor to the area. I imagine they would  not give me an anesthetic that was not good with ALZ but, not right now.

wish me luck...

Unforgiven
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 9:20 PM

I think you mean thar you will be having the extraction done without SEDATION.  The anesthetic for dental work is local, injections of lidocaine to numb the area.  You will feel a little pinprick from the needle and a burning sensation as the lidocaine goes in and stretches your gum.  And then that's it.  Yep, there will be noises and some pushing and pulling, but nothing a brave woman like you can't handle. I used to do this for a living, and most of our patients did it without taking a valium or using our nitrous oxide.  Truly, there's nothing to be afraid of.

I was on the receiving end of treatment when I had my wisdom teeth out in my twenties, and more recently with the root canals.  I had no pain at all either time.  The only discomfort was from having to keep my mouth open so wide and for so long.  It'll be over before you know it, and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the photos of you and your husband.  He looks like a good guy, but I wouldn't want to tangle with him either.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:07 AM

alz+,

Hope you're recovering from the extraction and can tell us that it didn't and doesn't hurt that bad.

Have Keeper walk around the pool and stare down that guy. He will never so much as look your way again! 

He is a scary looking but handsome dude. You look so beautiful, happy, safe and secure in the picture! 

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:32 AM

Best wishes for a swift and easyy extraction and home fast.   Why not tell Keeper that you expect the tooth fairy to come and to NOT be stingy!

What a wonderful photo of you and Mr. Keeper.  He is a good looking fellow and one who looks as though he can slay dragons with just a dark, intense look . . . . is he for hire for the rest of us?  

Best wishes for a smooth time with the oral surgeon; let us know how you are doing, we will be thinking of you.

J.

Hudder
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 11:38 AM

Alz+  Hope all went well with your tooth procedure today and I really hope you had some type of numbing agent such as the injection of lidocaine, that was mentioned by unforgiven.

feel better.   Also, great pictures of you and hubby/ keeper.  I'm sure you have nothing to worry about with a strapping and good looking man and a large dog by your side !

p.s.  I like your new avatar photo. It has a Norman Rockwell- ish quality about it., very cool

Veterans kid
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 11:29 AM

Alz+, hoping you're healing!  I LOVE your new pix!  And Keeper,- handsome man!   Your protector looks exactly like what his name is!  And I bet he's a lover too!  

Hoping it's a flying monkey free zone for you today!

VK

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:39 PM

Alz+, I hope you're resting well.  Put your feet up, hug your dog and Keeper (not in that order), and come back when you can.

a_step@a_time
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:35 PM

AAlz+, wishing you fast recovery.  Looks like you are in good care.  Wish I had a keeper too.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:40 PM

I am home.

The procedure was tolerable and fast. Giant doctor, very confident, numbing done with long needles and I put my fingers in my ears when he has to cut the tooth into 2 pieces to remove it. It hurts now, like bruising.

Jo C - Keeper is stingy as possible, and cheap. Not for himself, but with me.

Iris - yes he looks scary and too often he is scary around me, though he denies it. 

After I  was done with Clinic payment Mister changed our plans from "whatever you need we'll do" to "you're going to my mother's and we're staying there!" 

His Mother did not appreciate me being upset and ....I was at the end of my rope and she smirked at my crying. I was tormented into a full breakdown ending with me having to walk 2 miles in heat with a bloody mouth. It was all done for "own good" and when their harassment did not end and I got more upset she told me  she was calling the police on me.

I said, "Fine," thinking maybe police would drop  me off at a motel  (white person's imagination). No cops were called so instead to find some solitude I slept in the back of the Jeep, had candle for heat, it was rough. In the morning Keeper  yanked open back door and my good glasses apparently fell in the grass and were then likely driven over.

Since I had no marijuana to calm me down I was still shaken and upset and Keeper was still mad and scary. HE threatened to put me in "a mental hospital." I dared him to. He and his mother have low compassion, about same as my own  mother. Freaky and sickening. Imagine having to nurse yourself in the dark and cold trying to follow fine print directions and protect the vital extraction blood clot. He said I was "making a big deal over it." wtf?

In the end, the tooth extraction went well, the rotten tooth possibly contributing to me feeling worn down but Doctor said not likely. I lost my favorite glasses, was yelled at (the old "let's not give her what she needs but demand she behave as we wish, when we wish"), camped out on my own, nursed myself, and when I finally got home I slept  for hours. If I had not been taking CBD oil I might have really lost control and ended up in a jail or mental ward.

People do not show compassion when a person with dementia is upset. The way I was treated was textbook BAD and made me question again if I ought to be getting out of here. They seemed utterly indifferent. I am still in shock.

Many family members feel they can control me, shun me, scream, threaten and so on. Because I have no Real Rights with ALZ? No one checked on me at night. It was 40 degrees. I am 66 years old. I took care of myself, I made it home.

This is very raw for me, please not much in way of advice right now. 

Amor Fati
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:18 PM

Oh dear friend, I am so sorry about this nighmare experience you had to endure. As if the tooth extraction was not bad enough... Sending you much love and healing thoughts. Please be safe.
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:03 PM

What the hell! No advice....I love you!
Lane Simonian
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 11:34 PM

One of my uncle's favorite expressions was "this too shall pass."  But some things take much longer to pass than others.  Thank goodness the tooth has been extracted and thank goodness for CBD oil.  
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:55 AM

What you need now is sleep and a hug.  Here's the hug:

{{{{{{{{ ALZ+ }}}}}}}}

I hope you will feel better in the morning.

Iris L.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:57 AM

One more soft hug coming to you.   We are friends who are there with you in spirit standing shoulder to shoulder next to you in support and understanding; may you feel the warmth.

J.

eaglemom
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:14 AM

And here is yet another hug. Rest, rest and then rest some more. Be easy and kind to yourself.

We are here to support you.

eagle

Hudder
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:29 AM

Dear Alz+ ... I'm so sorry that you experienced such an upsetting day yesterday. Please know that we truly care and are here for you. Get rest, enjoy your birds and pamper yourself in ways that bring you a sense of calmness.    <<HUGS>>
alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:04 AM

If I did not have my online friends here, I think it would be much worse than it is,and even today I keep seeing my MIL's face smirking and taunting me while I was crying - Keeper, her perfect son just sat there and watched like it was NORMAL and I now believe he grew up with this kind of behavior and thinks it is normal!  

He told me Monday I had doctor's appointment next week - I was figuring out if I could go to Judy's funeral, turns out appointment is today.

s I will drag myself out of bed and go. It was about the swollen lymph nodes. Maybe she will check the blood clot to be sure it did not come out during night of cold hell.

I do feel seasoned in the Do Not Be Surprised mind training but we were getting along so well before we went for extraction! 

Have changed enough about myself to make me feel inside out. To endures UNPREDICTABILITY is crazy making - Iris mentioned predictability as a source of peace and aid to making one's way through dementia living. Boy is she right.

My own family as jerks? Forever. But to have his Mother all righteous and smirking, when will that image leave my mind? People get upset when they don't know what to do, and I cut them a lot of slack but this time it was plain old abusive. I feel pressure to do something about it  yet there is nothing I have not tried before and right now I have no other place to go.

My head hurts, entire jaw aches, nauseated. Still I am proud of being able to nurse myself through this. Doctor said I am safely out of potential dry socket issue after 5 days so 4 more of being cautious to be safe.

MIL's husband had Lewy Body dementia and she argued and challenged him until his dying day. My own Mother scolded and argued with my Dad until his eyes would fill with tears but he said nothing to her. She never felt bad about her "care" of him. She is still cold and lacks warmth and compassion, acts like my having ALZ is same as a cold..

L Lee - love your flower! 

The weird photo of me and my dog I took at lake with wind blowing at us and then increased saturation and contrast until it looked space age. It was my first image of her and me going into the future with courage!

The dog put her head on my shoulder at dawn today and just pressed against me. I felt loved.

Veterans Kid! HI! Yes my Husband was a wonderful lover until I got dementia and has not been that way to me since. So he became my Keeper and no longer my husband as far as I am concerned. Feeling like I have been eating a lot of dirt from writing this post.

Focus on dog, who now came up here, got on my bed and has her head over my legs which means, "I know you are upset, I am here, you can feel me." AWWWW. I love her!

julielarson
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:27 AM

Alz+ peace!
w/e
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:25 PM

Alz+, Hugs, hugs and more hugs.

What an ordeal!

Healing of the body. The heart. The mind.

Come healing of the body.

Your immediate focus is the healing of your mouth... There is a deep cut. An open wound. Be careful with an infection. Follow the treatment given to you by your doctor for keeping the wound clean, at all times.

If you have pain, take an Advil or Ibuprofen or Tylenol.

If there is swelling, apply an ice bag, wrapped in a soft towel to the area of surgery. Alternating 20 minutes on. 20 minutes off. Keep your head elevated above your heart.

Have good nourishment. Avoid hard food. Follow a soft diet. Such as eggs, yogurt, sweet potatoes, soups, pasta, apple sauce, etc. Chew on the opposite side of the mouth not affected by the surgery. Avoid extremely hot food.  Drink plenty of liquid. Soothing, calming teas. Take your vitamins faithfully.

After eating or snacking, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water. Rinse GENTLY.

Keep your fingers out of your mouth. Do not touch the wound. Keep your tongue out of the wound.

Relax. Rest. Sleep. And your healing process should progress well.

Come healing of the heart. Come healing of the mind.

After the healing of the tooth extraction, you will have to make some difficult and serious decisions pertaining to your habitat... My goodness, how you are being treated is super cruel, to say the least. Their lack of understanding, their lack of compassion, their lack of care, their lack love and their lack of respect will make your symptoms of dementia worse. We don't want that, do we, eh?

Seriously, with my limited knowledge of your situation, all that comes to mind is "Woman, the prison door is open!"... You need to move on. Away from your daily torture.  Some-how. Some-when. Some-where.... Have you had a conversation with your 'saplings' about your needs. Your agony. Your distress...????... Have you had a conversation with social services?

Soft hugs and a million kisses.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 1:23 PM

w/E -

Seems you have first hand info on tooth removal - excellent. Thank you for taking time to write that info down!

I am getting past the bad emotions. 

I posted on FB about my lost eye glasses, a sister in law (one of my favorite people in the world) read it and called MIL and she went looking and found my glasses!

Then she called Keeper and said she will mail them to him. whew!

My son bought me those green mottled frames by Oakley 5 years ago. I love them and even after being worn daily nothing has ever even come loose in them! They were about $400 and I just had new lenses put in.

so losing my glasses and her finding them and returning them may lead to reconciliation between us. I do not want war. she will never be a natural at dealing with illness so I want to accept her as is. She was taken by surprise when she saw me breaking down. I was shocked by her eagerness to call the police on me (maybe every MIL's dream at times?).

Off to doctor now, my country doctor who is an osteopath and handles me like a large animal vet which I like. Will sleep good tonight. Your love and hugs bucked me up.

love to all of my friends here. this is a Big Deal Service from alz.org and I hope many more people use it. Rant, confess, expose - you will be admired and accepted!

alz+
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2016 9:48 PM

I guess I need to post this separately but will put thought here..

I am about to call police as eaglets' parents have been gone and left them without proper supervision for more than 12 minutes.

Kidding. 

But is this aspect of my...personality? to get over things pretty fast really a symptom of dementia?

Or some enlightenment from years of suffering? A great person emailed me today and suggested I consider again that if my Keeper can blow up over something like a lost phone number after a tooth extraction, what is the possibility he would be a protector when things go really wrong?

Very low possibility. And I do not seem to be as worried as the people who have been contacting me. 

Today I napped after a swim and a walk with dog, and had a dream visit from my Father! He said my jowls looked cute on me at this age and patted my head. it was a very intense dream and when I woke up I could still feel his hand on my head.

Then it went to high strangeness and my vision was through a mandala outline. I changed reading glasses, same thing, closed one eye then the other,both eyes looked through outline of a mandala.

(9:44pm spectacular close up of tail feathers, eaglets still alone)

It has been hard to type since, anyway - how would I know if I am unable to appreciate danger? I don't think I am going to suffer much anymore because I decided most of it is a waste of time. Anticipatory suffering. It feels much better than fretting but it is a change and wonder if anyone else saw this in thier loved one with dementia.