RSS Feed Print
Let's savor the good stuff of life.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:59 AM

Here's what I tell my Italian amore. I know, dear Cristina, that it is personally repugnant. To see the deficiencies. In the teaching of rudimentary English. In certain Italian schools. But it is what it is. And you must now ask yourself, how to deal with the matter. Maybe by talking to the ones that can do something constructive about it. In other words, to do what you can. To fix the problem. But there is only so much you can do. While operating in and around the educational bureaucracy. Let it be a controlled upset. Do whatever you can. In small ways. In big ways, too, if that’s possible. But often it isn’t.  Accept the fact that you aren’t a magician. You are an individual teacher. With a legitimate concern. Which is why you are a good teacher. You teach well. But you can’t reach everyone. Just do the best you can. Without exhausting yourself. Without lamenting that you can’t do it all.  Without losing sleep over it. When you come home from school, set aside the laments. And savor the good stuff of life. Complain. To me. About the bad stuff. But then let’s get on. Living the good life. Because there is good. So very much good. Let’s learn to be overwhelmed. By the good stuff. Better that. Than to be overwhelmed by the bad stuff. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:53 AM

I insist. On savoring the good stuff of life. Maybe that makes me selfish. Because I’d rather leave the bad stuff for others. But that’s not true. After all, the good stuff is there for the taking. By anyone. There’s plenty to go around. Maybe it’s more a case. That some people don’t recognize the good stuff. Even if it hits them. Over  the head. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:00 AM

I keep my sanity. By creating my own little world. My so-called cocoon. I let no one in. Other than a few trusted friends. I feel lost and out of place in the big, big world.  Too much commotion. Too much anger. Too many perils. Give me peace. Quiet. Solitude. I’ll have my Italian amore, my true love, with me for six weeks. She brings soothing times to my life. Even when she isn’t here in the flesh.   We still connect daily. On Skype.  She’s all I need. Proof that life is a blessing. The world turmoil doesn’t matter. Because there’s escape. In our own little worlds. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 6:03 AM

My dear friend Julie. The one with a drinking problem and lingering depression. Tells me I’m the crazy one.  In thinking. That I am happy. Having been blessed with two true loves in a lifetime.  Julie says I’m disillusioned. And unhappy. Even though I don’t consciously know it. Julie recommends that I see a psychotherapist. And learn to face up to the unhappy realities of life. I’ve gotta give Julie credit. For an unusual and creative grasp of reality. Makes me wonder. If I’m the disturbed one. While Julie is just fine. --Jim 
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 4:48 PM

Maybe it’s not so nice. That I try to avoid people in depression. Even some of my friends. Because I may do more harm than good. By being cheerful. Seems to me, that can drive one deeper into depression. Causing a sharp contrast. Between my cheer, and their glum mood.  Makes them feel even worse. So, best to stay away. Until I discover a magical cure for depression. I’m open to ideas. Tell me, you folks in depression, what can I do? How can I be helpful rather than harmful? --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2016 9:33 AM

Every day. I find reason to be relatively happy. Even when bad things happen. All over the world. Even if Donald Trump is elected president and the Chicago Cubs fail to win the World Series, I’ll compensate. Some way, some how.  Just the pure bliss of being  alive and conscious  and with it. Able to go for a brisk and lengthy walk and breathe fresh air  and read a book and contemplate the wonders of life.  And not least, the ability to fall in love. That’s good enough for me. Despite the pitfalls. --Jim

MPSunshine
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2016 9:46 AM

I like your attitude and I do hope you are planning on voting!
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 7:41 AM

Yes, I'll vote. And pull for the Cubs to win the World Series. Though they are behind Cleveland now. Two games to one. But even if the Cubs don't win, I'll be joyous. Over the fact that the Cubs made it all the way to the World Series, For the first time since 1945. I'm easily satisfied.  For instance, someone could give me one million dollars. And I would not demand two million. Though I won't be satisfied and happy. Unless Hillary Clinton becomes the next president. I have my meaningful priorities. --Jim  .