RSS Feed Print
Has anyone experienced anything like this.
ladypeewee
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:31 AM

My Husband. says the he feels like he has needles sticking him in the head when he eats anything spicy or when he feels hot. Can someone tell me if this is a symptoms Alzheimer's or maybe something else. Thanks so much for your response.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 8:39 AM

I do not have those symptoms but if it’s very hot and spicy I sweat. It could also be that he may not be able to describe what is happening. I would also document it each time just in case you need to go further with this. 

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 12:26 PM

I am glad you found you way the Young Onset Section, I hope you will get many responses.

Usually, I hear PWD talk about the opposite and them being able eat increasingly spicy foods and not realize that they spicy.   Although that may also have do with loss of smell common in dementia and Alz. 

I have noticed foods are more bland and that I am less interested them.

I know at some point many of us lose that part of the brain that understands what it is sensing...like we may not realize we are cold and so we just get agitated.  Much of his description sounds like me trying explain things I am experiencing my daughter.  Like when water from shower feel like pin pricks on my skin. 

As this part of the brain go....the hard wiring part our brain stay, that tell us something is wrong and we need get away. 

The example I use in my talks are it like if you and I put our hands over a flame, you would get 2 sensations.....1 that you hand hot (I would not); and 2 an overwhelming need get away (which I will also have)....BUT....because you have both pieces you brain, you brain will know you only need get you hand away.....meanwhile, I will be trying desperately leave and go home. 

Hope that helps.  And I do hope everyone will chime in and help you out with their experiences this.

<3

ladypeewee
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:57 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Peewee says if he gets hot sitting next to the heater or his body tempter goes up he gets the feeling like he has needles sticking him in the head. 

If his food  is spicy he gets the same feeling.