RSS Feed Print
A Doubting Thomas. Every time.
Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 12:13 PM

I believe what I believe. In matters of politics and religion. In other things, too. But that doesn’t mean that I’m right. I have no need for converts to my way of thinking. After all, it’s never a problem for me. To acknowledge that I could be wrong. About everything. Meanwhile, allow me to be amused. By the gadabouts who believe. Beyond a doubt. That they possess absolute truth. In matters of politics and religion. Yes. Yes. The self-assured.  They leave me cold. By refusing to admit. That they could be wrong. Please. Please. Give me a Doubting Thomas. Every time. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 3:16 PM

We may be getting hung up over semantics, Andy. I believe in a creator. I prefer that term over a god. As a spiritual free-thinker, I believe in an  abstract creator. A spirit, so to speak. And I think of this spirit as one of the guys. Who doesn’t necessarily associate himself with organized religions. Yes, he’s a free spirit. For me, he’s the real creator. My creator. We have a personal relationship. Every religion seems to have a god that’s suited for a particular religion. For instance, there seems to be a difference between a Muslim perception of god versus the Christian perception. My creator says it doesn’t matter. That everyone is saved. Even atheists. Seems to me that my creator comes close to being a truly universal god. Even the god of extraterrestrials. Maybe intelligent life forms that don’t even look like us.  For me, Christianity is too limiting. Too restrictive.  Too exclusive. Too specialized. Too conservative. My creator grants me more freedom. More choices. More camaraderie. But hey, to each his own. I had my flirtation with Christianity. And decided there was something better. More tailored for my spiritual needs. Anyway, I think both of us are right. In our personal choices. Christianity suits you. Turns you on. But as for me, give me life as a spiritual free-thinker. My creator says that both of us are right, Andy. In our unique ways. We’ll both be saved. By my creator. I shun your god. Because he’ll save only you. And not me. Yes. Yes. I want a god who saves everyone.. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 4:48 AM

I’m no atheist, Andy. As long as I reserve the right to define my god. The way I want. Same goes for you. God is telling me that we both are on the right path. Even though it may seem like different courses. It’s the continuous and never-ending search that counts. At least for me. My god says that’s perfectly okay.  He grants each of us flexibility. Options. To personalize god. To fit our individual and unique spiritual and religious needs. To achieve peace of mind. On our individual quests. Life is supposed to be a journey. Not necessarily to any fixed point. We are supposed to be in constant motion. That’s a soothing thought. For spiritual liberals. Like me. As for conservatives like you, you need to be anchored. To a fixed point. Always knowing exactly where you are. I don’t need that. Because I am a man in motion. A free spirit, so to speak. You prefer a god that dictates the rules. The whys and wherefores of life. Allow me free choice, please. You have made your choice. And I am making my choice. Day by day. Under the tutelage of my very liberal god. He tells me I am not an atheist. No matter what your Christian god says to contradict him. Though deep down, I believe we have one and the same god. May sound complex. But it's really simple. Think about it. And read a little bit of Martin Buber. It may help. --Jim