RSS Feed Print
social media is my Walmart for blow ups
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:25 AM

I think social media is my Walmart for meltdowns.

When things were hot last year before the election I used to post political stuff on my facebook page. This invited my "friends and family" to post rebuttals and attacks, which were vicious and cruel.

I unfriended family and friends, they blocked me. It was ridiculous. (note: my family never once said they were sorry I got ALZ. Nothing of comfort so it was a relief to be rid of them.)

I found places I could post and discuss politics away from FB and did not post one thing about my personal opinions again on my page, just checking in with my kids pages to see what they were doing since they are busy and live 2000 miles away and I don't like phones.

So after more than a year of putting nothing on my page that could be construed as offensive to anyone, I posted something, an opinion about a new social norm that drives me nuts. Someone of course responded to tell me how I shameful and outrageous my sense about this was and how I ought to think and advised me to "get educated". I did not recognize the name of this person so thanked them for the public shaming for having a different opinion. I unfriended them.

It was a cousin's daughter. So now letting it go but to avoid this in future  ???

I dislike social media and emails. I dislike the computer. The computer is my distraction from life and often a welcome distraction.

So tired. I did finally get 7 hours straight sleep last night but woke up in despair. I am weakening despite my efforts to power through.  

Seems the time when making my world even smaller is actually making my world larger...

thank you all for being here. if I am away for some time it is because I do have a lot to finish and we have to make a trip to complete some business and a high school reunion coming up fast.

Need to figure out how the internet benefits and harms me.

takes a lot of love and courage

lisabramey
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 12:33 PM

Dear Alz+,

I'm the odd ball here. I don't do any social media at all. I have neither the time or inclination to do so. 

I hope your "business" and reunion goes well the change of scenery may do you a world of good. 

Take care and let us know how your outings go.

Lisa

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:00 AM

Alz+,

Have a safe trip and much fun and dancing at your reunion!