RSS Feed Print
we called Hospice
alz+
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 7:05 AM

We are waiting to sign papers with our local hospice.

The first step is in palliative care and we will also get help for living here with shoveling snow off decks, yard care, a cleaning person every 2 weeks, a nurse who comes 2 times a month to start.

I have been trying to set this up for awhile. Our local hospice is very small organization but sincere and openhearted. The social worker will help me with grieving.

I told my children and my daughter is coming end of September for a week.

They handled the call to my doctor, Keeper has been very moved by this turn of events. Today we are celebrating our struggle by going to Lake Superior so I can make rock art on the beaches.

Image result for rock art found on beaches

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 9:12 AM

You took a great step, Alz+.  You are in charge of your life, and you are handling things your way.  I'm proud of you!  I love the rock art!

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 8:53 PM

We found Hospice to be helpful on different levels. It started when they walked in the door...a fresh face...and went on from there. 

I hope the same will be true for you also.

Love Lake Superior and have spent some wonderful days on Madeline Island and I have a daughter-in-law from Houghton.

Canada111
Posted: Friday, August 25, 2017 11:48 PM

Your rock art is beautiful. See Andy Goldworthy and Richard Long. You're an artist and everything you do and say speaks to that.

As far as hospice, it will be a help to you. You are my hero in how you handle every step. I feel you will be around awhile with us here. Getting palliative care help from hospice is a smart move. I am proud of you and love you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=andy+goldsworthy+rivers+and+tides&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=richard+long+artist&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic8ba3i_TVAhUG7CYKHcJXDlcQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=623

BlueSkies
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 12:50 AM

Love the beach art alz.  Very cute!

I am sure hospice will be a great help for you and keeper.  Sometimes we need to reach out and get help.  You did good. 

Your a strong and helpful role model for me alz.  Thanks for being here and sharing.  

Sending you lots of love and prayers...

grandmalynda
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 11:18 AM

Reading of your strength and determination is uplifting and gives me hope.  Thanks for sharing your personal journey alz+.

--Lynda

obrien4j
Posted: Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:11 PM

Alz+, you were one of the first people on this board to mentor me on dealing with this disease. You have always been in my corner and I am very grateful to you. I wish I could invite you over to my garage to chat for a while. You are a woman of great strength and intelligence- I admire you for doing everything you can to simplify your life and truly enjoy it. You are right, this is a heavy load we're all carrying and we're trying to do the best we can. 

I am sorry you had to call in hospice, but I am glad you did. You cannot  and should not carry the load of the house, Keeper and yourself- all by yourself. It sounds like you and Keeper are at a better place in life and I'm happy for you.

I love your writing and I love your thinking and I hope one day, you get to visit San Miguel. Alz+, you would absolutely love it-the colors, the flowers, the art you see everywhere. And rocks and stones line the streets and give you a sense of peace and tranquility in this little town, that everything's gonna be alright.

Much love to you.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 8:33 AM

Hello dear amazing Alz+.   Having Palliative Care come in is very wise and will bring much assistance as you have outlined.  I am truly glad that help will be on hand for you and Mr. Keeper.   This should relieve some of the burdensome things that have been difficult. 

Nice thing about Palliative Care that is different from Hospice, is that a person can still receive care in a hospital and as much care as they wish; your wishes are the driving force. 

How is Mr. Keeper; I am not sure of his health circumstances.  Is he okay with Palliative coming in?

Lake Superior.   I grew up in the UP of Michigan in a tiny town in Marquette County, and spent much time at Lake Superior.   I love it.  I also really like the little rock sculpture you posted.   To my eye, it looks like a person lying on the beach with head in hands.   Whimsy.

Please let us know how it is going with Palliative.  Once it all gets settled in, it should be of good service to you.

By the way; I always enjoy reading your Posts, they are wonderful; you are such  a good writer.

Big hugs,

J.

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 7:13 AM

hey pals - 

Keeper has taken over the reins and lucky for him I am too weak to oversee things! ha!

I hope Bill does not read this sappy part : I was so angry with the damn house it was making life worse. My MIL's husband had Parkinsons and Lewy Bodies and he told me our dog knew I did not adore her.

I was jealous of her affection for Keeper and when he said that I took it to heart. I started making friends with her and over a year we bonded. Then she became my service dog and best friend.

I decided to feel affection to the house and since that day we have made headway in making our home feel like a Home.

He figured out the need to increase CBD oil dose and I walked yesterday and am eating. Not a trip down the Nile but low expectations are helping us both a lot.

love and courage

BillBRNC
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:26 AM

alz+, yes, but I do read your posts. Hey, us Dementia with Lewy Bodies people are in tune with our dogs. I know what Doc is thinking, sometimes before he thinks it. A dog isn't only a man's best friend, but a woman's too. Seeing neuro tomorrow for regular scheduled visit, and as usual he won't say anything about things I want to know. Cheers. Bill.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:44 AM

How does one manage without a dog? They give so much more than they require.

Bill...make a list of questions...leave space for the answers...do not leave until you  understand and have written down the answer.

Someone on spouses shared that tidbit years ago. I still do it!

julielarson
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:38 AM

Alz, I am so glad you will be getting the help you deserve.. You have been an inspiration to me through these years on this board.. Big hugs..
obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:48 AM

Alz+, I am so proud of you, girl! You got this- and now you have the help you deserve. I am so happy that you and Keeper have come to common ground and are loving each other and your home. Great way to live life, friend.
obrien4j
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:56 AM

And to the dog-loving community here- I have 4: 2 bigs and 2 littles. They take care of me, they're my angels- they know when I'm sick, when I'm sad, when I'm upset with my wife, they listen to me, they're my only companions throughout the day. How could I not adore them?
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:09 AM

Alz+,

So Happy keeper has the reins. Step back and just focus on you and imagine the outcome of how you want your home to be. I think we could make a movie about all you have been through with this house. The time has come for you to have the house the way you want and need it to be. 

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:57 AM

I am going to get out of bed today. Now what do you think I will REALLY do? ha! right?

sun is out so going to stare at garage and maybe move some more stuff out of basement to garage/ dump/ donation.

thanks for the support - as always! so tired.

Bill! communicating with the dogs is so easy compared to trying to ask a builder to do x y z.  Our new dog is dark brown and my vision erases her body so I never know when she is near me - in daylight I do see her but not if she is in a grassy field.

this is Heidi the dog who seemed too"perfect" to love, until I let myself love her.

Image may contain: 1 person

I feel very relieved to have Hospice in my corner.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:10 AM

Ahhha, Dear, sweet Heidi girl!
julielarson
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 10:59 AM

My kitty and us just went through something very hard, He was sick but we did not know what from exactly but think we traced it to the Fancy Feast tuna in gravy we gave to him as a treat.. We will never do that again. We took him to the vet last Saturday and they took blood and urine and they found nothing.. Said he was healthy but had caught a bug is what she figures.. I had been giving him eye droppers of water to keep him hydrated when he did not want to drink out of his bowl.. I started giving him pumpkin to make him poop.. He is also on a probiotic .. today is his last day of that.. It has been a haul but he is my little baby that comes in and sleeps with me every night practically. He is my darling..
grandmalynda
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:00 AM

Looks like the perfect duo. Much happiness together!

--Lynda

obrien4j
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:07 AM

Nice to meet you, Alz+! And Heidi too!
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 1:04 PM

a big woof from Luke to Heidi and hip hip hooray to her, you, Keeper and Hospice.
Eileen72
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:20 PM

alz+ and Heidi.....beautiful!!!!!!
BlueSkies
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:01 AM

Beautiful pic of the two of you alz.  Thanks for sharing.  I have 3 dogs and a cat.  Loves of my life.  They keep me going.  

Smart of keeper to increase your cbd oil.  Up and eating now...good for you!  You are a trooper.  Your in my prayers every night my friend.

Julie, hope your kitty is doing well now.  It's scary when our "babies" get sick.