RSS Feed Print
memories
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 9:01 AM

On one of the other boards some posts were shared about memories...happy memories. They happen to be about Christmas and childhood but how about sharing/musing about anything that moves you mind into that happy zone.

My post:

Oh, to be 5 and the Marshall Field Christmas toy catalogue came with Uncle Mistletoe and Aunt Holly and we went downtown to see what was the biggest tree imaginable and walk all around the block and see the windows.

Then write our letter to Santa and have Dad put it in the living room fire turned them into smoke and they sailed to the North Pole........sigh......what magic....still so much simpler than what goes on today.

Two more posts:

When I was 5, we lived near Akron and the 2 department stores Polsky's and O'neill's tried to outdo each other with the annimated Christmas windows. Then we'd go inside to see Santa and other specials like the year they had an annimated lifesize Rudolph who could talk to you and answer questions, a carousel, and good things to eat.

It was around that time a "Little Rudy" toy came to market.  It was a reindeer with a red light bulb in his nose, and the bulb lit when you pressed the base on which the hooves were fixed.  My brother and I decided on December 24 that we really needed one, and our father drove all over town to find it.  I still remember that toy, after all these years.

That was about the same time we bought (with our mother's help) our father a bright red tie featuring an embroidered cowboy hat with green beads for a hatband.  Mom tried to talk us out of it, but we were sure he would love it.  He wore it, but never past our front door.

Christmas is a magic time for a child.  My children being grown and having no grandchildren, I don't care about the gifts any more.  I would not enjoy a new car and the girl in the ad as much as I did Little Rudy.  

Midnight Christmas eve service at the church, full of music, is still magic.  

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2017 10:49 AM

I have only fond memories of dear Jeanne. It's as if she never had Alzheimer's. All of that is forgotten. As inconsequential.  I remember only the good stuff. Love. Love. And more love. Endless love.  Love forever. The essence of my life. I keep falling in love. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 11:27 AM

I wonder. If sometimes we get hung up on memories. Bad memories. Not for me, however. I store up only good memories. Or I occasionally find something good about a rare bad memory. Time is an elixir. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, December 15, 2017 2:05 PM

How about one of those good memories...one about a snowy day in MN. and maybe a sled?
MrToad
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 9:44 AM

Olympic Christmas

One of our more unusual Christmases was before our daughter was even a distant prospect. We lived in Seattle, the prettiest city in the country, on the 10 sunny days a year they have. Along with another couple, we decided to do Christmas out on the Pacific Coast side of the Olympic Peninsula. That involved a long drive around and through dense, dark, wet forests of massive evergreens to get to a very modest “resort” carved out of the forest by the Quilute (sp?) Indian Tribe . It was right on the beach, though we could not see it for the trees.  We checked into our four-person cabin, and got a fire going. DW and I were psyched up to go see the Pacific beach. When we’d first been together, we’d lived in a tiny fishing community with great wide white Atlantic beaches at the tip of New York’s Long Island, so we were anxious to go and do some Pacific beachcombing.

“You might see some driftwood out there” our friend advised as DW and I headed for the beach.

We followed the surf sounds down the tree-lined path leading to the beach. He was right. There was some driftwood there, mostly about 50-100 foot-long, three foot diameter logs that had fallen off the eroding cliffs surrounding the cove! There was an enormous, almost impassable windrow of jumbled logs between us and a narrow, rocky beach.

Compared to what we had expected, it might as well have been another planet. We just looked at one another and started laughing long and hard. That is one of many past hugs I will always remember.

As to my friend, with some effort I found a small piece of seasoned drift wood and brought it back to the cabin. “The beach was great.” I told him, “But this is the only driftwood we saw.”   

just exhibit Love
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 12:30 PM

jfkoc

may I share a memory with you..and thank you for this thread..

for me and my dad as a child Christmas was not much about the presents..it was the small tree purchase each year and my father carefully putting up the bubble lights that were popular way back then..I used to sit and watch them..seemed like for hours as I felt they were so beautiful..and every year the same lights and they all worked.

As the years went by our neighbors trees became much bigger and more decorated ours stayed the same..my died when I was 9 years old and so I cherished my dad and our Christmas tree memories.

My friend we have no grandchildren either our son and my daughter in law would be the best parents as they are both such special human beings and children live by example.. but they chose their life together and so like you it is not about the presents has never been.

Merry Christmas and know I enjoy your posts and what you give to this forum.

Namaste

Love Rosie

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world"

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 1:12 PM

I'm for building new memories. Today and tomorrow. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 2:48 PM

Jim...No sleds, snowballs or ice skating to share? Come on...you can think one...join in the fun.
Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:05 PM

Trying. Trying. To recall my first memory. Ever. The moment when I became aware. That I was an alive and conscious being. That I was me. Must have been several years after I was born. It certainly wasn’t when the doctor, Vaclav Dvorak, pulled me out of my mother’s womb. At 10:16 p.m. On September 11, 1935. At St. Anne’s Hospital. In Chicago. Of course, I’m basing this on hearsay. And records. Such as my birth certificate. Had I died. Before my third birthday. Probably would never had known that I actually lived. I learned. From my mother. That we were homeless. When I was 2. Lived out of a car. I have absolutely no memory of it.  Maybe just as well. One of my first memories. Was Aunt Anna. Taking me by hand. To a graveside. For a funeral service. She told me someone had died. And that when people die, they bury them. I thought the woman weeping at the graveside. Was the one who had died. And they were going to plant her in the ground. Against her wishes. I thought. How horrible. How sad. My scary misconception of death. --Jim

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 4:07 PM

More memories to come. They'll be more upbeat. I promise. --Jim
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 6:22 PM

Well that was quite a share. My earliest memory was one on fear but when I think about winter that one does not come to mind.

Maybe I can get you jump started. Did you skate??? Did you have a Flexible Flyer? did you make snow angels or a snow man?

I love winter. Take away the snow and it is harder to see it's beauty but take the time and look at the subtle colors of bark or think about what the leaves are doing.

Hmmm...makes me wonder what y'all did below the Mason Dixon Line....dream of snow???

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 8:13 PM

Mr. Toad...do you still have the piece of driftwood?
MrToad
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 9:58 PM

I knew someone would ask. Perhaps in the move to Alabama, or the move to Raleigh, or to Greensboro NC, or the move to Arlington VA, or to Fairfax VA--but it disappeared somewhere along the line.

I still have material I wrote 50 years ago, but stuff  and souvenirs, not so much. Oh well.

Sayra
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 10:21 PM

Remember my dad. Always encouraging me.  Always gave me a hug and said I hope you have a good week at work.  Helping him pick a field of corn by hand, driving the tractor to bail hay.  Loved riding in the truck with him. Made me feel safe.  I miss him so.
sharon11daugherty
Posted: Saturday, December 16, 2017 11:14 PM

OOh, how sweet this is. My favorite writers and memories.

I remember winters and the holidays in San Franciso. The weather was cold but no snow ever, except on Easter when I was 12! 

We would get dressed up and go downtown to look in the Windows of The Emporium and Macy's department stores. We seldom went in. The bus ride was so fun, as we never owned a car. Woolworths was at the Cable car stop, we always went in there. They had a fountain and we would always get hot chocolate. Sometimes we talked my mom in to letting us open a few gifts on Christmas eve. Then we went to a beautiful church service where I knew every song. So proud I was, of that fact. Christmas morning with my mom and two sisters was wonderful. Always flannel pajamas, which my sister still gets for me!  My mother made all our gifts from all our clothes, to playhouses etc. Each one of our dolls came with a full wardrobe mom had made.

Growing up in the city had two downfalls. I never learned how to ride a bike or drive until I was thirty!   But the memories, endless. My childhood home sold for $15,000 in 1962. Today it is on the market for over 2 Million!

I consider my memory one of my best blessings. I remember how I hung on to your words when I was secluded from the world. Thanks again for those!

Blessings, sharon

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:28 AM

Didn’t know. The source of the loud rumble. Until years later. When I made the connection. I was being wheeled. In an ornate baby buggy. Probably by mother. Before I was old enough to walk. I was asking myself . ‘What’s that I’m hearing?’ Out of curiosity. Rather than fright.  Anyway, I stored it away. In my memory bank. Able to retrieve it. Vividly. To this very day. Knowing for sure. That we were passing. Beneath elevated train tracks. Near our home.  On Chicago’s west side.  It’s as if I’m there. Now. Listening to the rumble. And breathing fresh air. From an idyllic moment in time. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:13 AM

Jim....when I lead children on a tour at the museum we not only look, we listen. I turn on my phone to the sound of seagulls and ask them to find them in the next gallery. 

Sharon....yesterday a friend was sharing her memory about I Magnin and downtown San Francisco. It sounded so special.

Rosie...things can get too big

Sayra...pick and ear of corn...needs to be on my bucket list...bet it tasted wonderful

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:00 PM

I'm sort of amazed when people write about their earliest memory. I have many, many memories, but my early ones have no chronological sign posts, so I have no idea what came first. Oh, I can narrow things down sometimes to within a five year window, because some involve my younger brother, who was born in 1958, and some don't, so I assume those are the earlier ones. I guess I was a sickly child, because it seems like my mom was forever taking me downtown to the Oakland Kaiser hospital. One might think these are bad memories, but, as I recall them, every doctor visit was followed up by a trip to Fenton's creamery for some ice cream. In later years, instead of the creamery, she would sometimes take me to the Macarthur Broadway shopping center, which had one of the first food courts, and I could pick where I wanted my food to come from. This is all so " ho hum " today, but back then it was a marvelous and wonderful thing,to have all these choices, and in one spot !
ladyzetta
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 9:15 PM

I also have many early memories but the first one that came to mind are memories of about 65 years ago. My Grandpa had a old station wagon he would load us kids up and we would go from Sacramento to Jenner California, when we went through Napa, Calif we would go over a bridge and we would always get on the floor because the bridge made noise and tickled our bottoms so we called it the Tickle Bridge. Grandpa would always remind us the Ticket Bridge was coming up there was me and my 2 sisters and 2 cousins and we all would sit on the floor of this old station wagon and laugh. I can still remember that.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, December 17, 2017 10:36 PM

It was a snowy night. Ideal. For my mom. To pull me on a sled. Through the neighborhood. In Chicago. To see the Christmas lights and decorations. When we came home.  Dad excitedly summoned us. To the radio.  To hear the news. I was six years old. I didn’t yet understand the significance of that historic moment. On Dec. 7, 1941. But I knew that something was wrong. Mom and dad were visibly shaken. --Jim