RSS Feed Print
movies
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:22 AM

would you please tell us about the movies re AD etc you know about as well as your opinion of them...thanks.
chrisp1653
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:24 PM

One that I have enjoyed twice so far, is " Still Mine , " starring James Cromwell and Genevieve Bujold.  For me, it's the kind of movie that I could easily watch once a year and not grow tired of it. Hmmm... another would be " Mr. Holland's Opus , " with Richard Dreyfus. I realize that " Mr. Holland's Opus " is not about A/D, but it does touch on the aspect of dealing with a hearing deficiency in a world that , to a large degree, doesn't understand it.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:28 PM

This is not a movie, but a television show.  The Young and the Restless soap opera has an Alzheimer's Disease story line, in Dina Mergeron, the mother of the Abbott children Jack, Tracy & Ashley.  She is living with Jack and Ashley in the family home, and her moods and actions are representative of a person with Alzheimer's Disease.  Apparently they have consulted with the Alzheimer's Association, because they have referenced the AA at the end of a few shows.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:22 PM

Still Alice

However, I much prefer the book.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:09 PM

Still Mine

An elderly couple fight against local authorities in rural New Brunswick to build their final home. 

This was a good movie, and could have been written by one of our Spouse/Partner members.  It is a David vs Goliath story with dementia thrown into the mix.  It is based on true events.  I borrowed the dvd from the library.

Iris L.

Underdog
Posted: Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:38 AM

The Notebook for sure,

but I've been watching a TV series about autism, "The A Word". The first season is available on DVD.

It's fantastic, with the interpersonal relationships and how they deal with mental issues among the community.

Other mental conditions are portrayed.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 1:10 PM

My favorite movie about dementia is Nebraska--full of pathos and humor that cuts to the bone.  I could watch the final scene over and over again.
Caring4two
Posted: Saturday, December 23, 2017 7:56 PM

Driving Miss Daisy. 

Nebraska.

RihanaB
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2020 5:54 AM

A Song For Martin

Sven Wollter and Viveka Seldahl (who were married in real life) play married couple Martin and Barbara in this Swedish movie with English subtitles. Martin is a conductor and composer while Barbara is a violinist.

They meet and marry in middle-age, but soon after, they find out that Martin has Alzheimer's disease. This moving story is considered one of the most realistic depictions of caregiving on film available on https://torrentsites.com/

Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:01 PM

I have always liked watching movies. I watched a movie last night on Netflix and I felt like I was having Deja Vous. It looked so familiar but I didn't remember any of it. At the end I noticed that I had already put a "like" on it. 

Getting back to movies about dementia, my favourite is Still Alice as I can really relate to it and what is happening to Alice in the movie. 

What They Had is another really good movie with good acting. The Leisure Seeker is one I would add to this list along with the Glenn Campbell movie, I'll Be Me.

One of my favourites is 50/50. It is not about Alzheimers, but the father has it in the movie.

That is all I can remember for now. But this gives you some other choices to check out.

Here is an update edit to this post.

I watched The Father and I find that is a great portrayal of someone going down the dementia path and what it was like for this person. I can relate to a bunch of things that were happening. I find it a realistic portrayal.

It is a very well acted movie.

sophirolr
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2022 2:23 PM

" Still Mine" really good
aannaa
Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2022 2:27 PM

Hi! Thanks for your sharing I will watch all this films. I often watch different movies and adore all genres. I often watch movies on one service. One day I couldn't log in there but fox nation customer service ( https://fox-nation.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html ) helped me with that. On the same day, I saw a movie "still mine". He really made me think about some things. I love such movie so much
ChHodge
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2022 6:27 AM

Thanks for suggestions.
Brigv
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 6:48 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.

Here is my list (I found all this movies in the library of these Kodi builds https://www.firestickhow.com/best-kodi-builds.html):

Still Alice

Away From Her

The Savages

Iris: A Memoir of Iris Murdoch

The last movie is based on the true story described in the book Elegy for Iris by John Bayley. I read and liked it too. 

French
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 12:45 PM

« Still Alice » helped me a lot at the beginning. I learnt about the disease and the impact on the family, in particular about the genetic question. Also interesting for eoad about the couple issue. You becomes a caregiver, but what else, your carriers…