RSS Feed Print
What about the rest of you?(1)
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:37 PM

Could be. We live in an age of too much information. Too much news. Too many slants. People are confused. Bombarded all day, and into the night. By the opinions of pundits on political, economic and social issues. No one has time to absorb it all. To differentiate between truth and fiction. Little wonder. That most people don’t even bother to vote anymore. They stay at home. Haven’t yet made up their minds. And if they have, it’s often based on impressions. Formed in large part by coyly-worded manipulative sound bites. I see it. Every day. Among the people I know. Take my neighborhood, for instance. Mostly working people. With families. If they have any spare time. It’s for recreational pursuits. And if they have a loved one saddled with dementia – well, forget it. They don’t have time to emerge from the darkness. For a peek at the sunshine.  Or anything else happening. Beyond their little niche. In a turbulent and often uncaring world. That’s the way I saw it. For 13 years. As a care-giver. I was lost much of the time. But hey, I’ve found my way out.  Alive and active and in love with life. What about the rest of you? --Jim

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 2:45 PM

To be honest, I don't even know what's going on in the world.  I hear about events through co-workers or sometimes learn days later about things that have already happened....

That's kinda scary to not know what's really going on around you when you got too much going on.  It's like waking up one day to find the whole city of folks gone for safety and you're the last one left behind because you weren't keeping up with the news about something terrible coming.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 3:54 PM

IMO, PWDs (not speaking about caregivers) need to live in a bubble at a certain point.  Too much of the outside world causes problems.  A big problem-causer is watching too much television.  Many PWDs watch tv all day.  They can't separate fact from fiction.  I notice this in myself, with a dx of cognitive impairment nos.  That's why I stopped watching tv except for a very few carefully selected shows.  Definitely not the news, which is full of disturbing violence and other mayhem.  Disturbing commercials that occur in my carefully selected shows can be a problem; that's why I keep a close hold on my mute button.

Iris L.

chrisp1653
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:20 PM

In an age where almost everything is expected to be instantaneous, I feel, at times, as if I am a dinosaur, lumbering along, not realizing that my kind are close to extinction. On the other hand, who cares ? If I happen to be swept aside by a rush of fast moving, cell phone wielding human robots, I don't imagine it will matter much. The people I care about are, for the most part, as actively neutral as I am. I do vote, but, since Oregon is a vote by mail state, I can do everything in the comfort of my desk chair. Well... not everything. I like to be on my feet, puttering in my garage, as I work on a car, or make something out of wood, or fix something that's broken.

I'll stop now, because I'm starting to ramble. I like rambling, but the garage is calling me, and I must answer, after I make sure Barbara is comfortable, and has her 7-Up and her puzzle book.

Bob Sacamano
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 8:18 AM

Yes, we are bombarded with too much information. I'm an information junkie. Being a 24/7 caregiver, I have a lot of down time. But rather than settling in with a good book, I'm reading click bait stories on the internet. I confess that I enjoy it; it helps me get through my day. I know that I should take time to do things like meditate, but I find it so boring, sometimes I wonder if it causes me more stress than stress relief.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 8:45 AM

what is a click bait story?
Bob Sacamano
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 9:27 AM

Clickbait is a pejorative term for web content whose main goal is to entice users to click on a link to go to a certain webpage or video.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:13 PM

The bait is that the story is not what the heading suggested.  For example:

Key to Massive Weight Loss Discovered by Local Grandmother!

(who wouldn't be interested in that?)

Story:  The key is reduce food intake and exercise.  What's the discovery?  She discovered it for herself.  Hah!

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 3:53 PM

thank you!
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 11:47 AM

You're welcome!

markus8174
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:14 AM

You are so right. I see my world getting smaller and smaller. It's like an episode of StarTrek (Next Generation) where Dr. Crusher was trapped in a "alternate universe '  That just kept contracting and eliminating everyone and everything  that she cared about until only she was left. She got out, you got out, I'm just not sure how much of "ME" will be left when or if I get out. A little more dies with each memory my DW looses.