RSS Feed Print
totally OT
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:17 PM

does anyone here read Joan Didion?
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 10:07 PM

I googled the name but I'm not familiar with her.  What happened?

Jim Broede
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 11:54 PM

I've read some of Didion's essays. She's lived an interesting life. She's a curious woman. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:55 AM

I recommend one of Didion’s best known and perceptive essays, ‘Why I write?’ You can get to it. By googling Didion and the title of the essay. Published in 1976. The famous essayist George Orwell, also wrote an essay by the same title, ‘Why I write?’ By the way, Didion is of my generation. She was born in 1934. I arrived in 1935. She’s still alive. So am I. A good reason to keep writing. Can’t think of a better pastime. Other than falling in love. With life. --Jim

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:33 AM

This is what happened.

I am going through Dick's books trying to rehome or take to the friends of the library. I picked up this Didion looked to see what edition when I noticed a long note to me. He had given me the book as a gift.

I, for the second time, am trying to read it. Very difficult and the reason for her popularity escapes me.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:49 AM

jfkoc wrote:

This is what happened.

I am going through Dick's books trying to rehome or take to the friends of the library. I picked up this Didion looked to see what edition when I noticed a long note to me. He had given me the book as a gift.

I, for the second time, am trying to read it. Very difficult and the reason for her popularity escapes me.

You might understand your late husband better. If you read Didion. Start with the essay, 'Why I write?'  Maybe you should start writing more. About what's on your mind. Just let yourself go. You'll not only understand Dick better. But you'll come to understand yourself. I have a hunch that Dick understood it all. In strange and mysterious ways. He wasn't afraid to explore his inner sanctum.  And to face the truth.  Even if it meant losing his mind. That's pretty daring stuff. --Jim

kellly
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:56 AM

I read part of "The Year of Magical Thinking" but grew tired of it and stopped reading partway. I guess I expected something different and more self-reflective.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 4:57 PM

I googled "Why I Write?".  She knows a lot of words, being an English major.  She says the act of writing is being a secret bully.  She lost me there.  I don't find her interesting at all.  She sounds like the type who speaks to hear her own voice, and who writes to read her own thoughts.  She's a narcissist, IMO.

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:35 PM

Jim ....will do.

OK, I did. She spends tie discussing A Book pf Common Prayer which is what i tried to red.

Nope. I fear I am more Dan Brown/Sidney Sheldon/Agatha Christie. I do not read to think just to enjoy and I fear introspection is not terribly interesting to me.

Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:58 PM

Thank gawd! We're all different. To each his/her own. When it comes down to what we read. And write. And think. --Jim
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:02 PM

jfkoc wrote:

Jim ....will do.

OK, I did. She spends tie discussing A Book pf Common Prayer which is what i tried to red.

Nope. I fear I am more Dan Brown/Sidney Sheldon/Agatha Christie. I do not read to think just to enjoy and I fear introspection is not terribly interesting to me.

Do you understand why Dick gave you Didion to read? You should have asked him.

Jim Broede
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2018 12:20 AM

Iris L. wrote:

I googled "Why I Write?".  She knows a lot of words, being an English major.  She says the act of writing is being a secret bully.  She lost me there.  I don't find her interesting at all.  She sounds like the type who speaks to hear her own voice, and who writes to read her own thoughts.  She's a narcissist, IMO.

Iris L.

I'd be less critical of introspective writers. Maybe because that's what I am. I like Joan Didion. And I like you, too, Iris. I'm for encouraging people to be themselves. Don't give me a world full of carbon copy clones. --Jim