RSS Feed Print
New info on my use of CBD oil for cognitive improvement
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:12 PM

A few years ago I started CBD oil for Alzheimer's dementia symptoms.

We began with an oil made like Rick Simpson Oil "RSO" and with very low THC plants like Charlotte's Web which was an oil made for children with epilepsy in Colorado years ago.

This past year I began to use an RSO with THC in it and am reporting this observation:

The oil with THC worked, but the sense of being altered on top of ALZ was just not something I got used to and liked. I did not feel the obvious instant change as with the plain CBD oil.

This morning Keeper gave me the old one with no THC without telling me and I went from having the creeps to being able to type and respond to some emails, to come here and post.

The oil for children with seizures gives me better cognitive abilities by a lot. I will use the THC oil at night in future.

this is what RSO looks like: 

Both are thick dark oils and not the clear hemp oil sold in shops. What I call a "dose" is a drop the size of a grain of rice.

That cognition can come back,  quicker than an aspirin for a headache cure, indicates to me it is some kind of interference or lack of fuel, that the loss of cognitive abilities can be corrected in large part.

The physical aspect  of the illness does keep creating new events.

My measure of independence is being able to bathe, dress, and feed myself with the bonus of being able to walk and swim.

without the CBD oil I become anxious and emotional in addition to not being able to think things through.

have used gabapentin 100mg for muscle and nerve pain issues and it fires up my activities. If your neurologist thinks it is safe to try and you are having trouble getting out of bed it may be a side effect  that benefits people with dementia.

keep trying things!

Lane Simonian
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:48 AM

I always appreciate your encouraging updates, alz+.  They may help to point a path forward for others.

This one is directly to your observation about energy deficits:

Injury to mitochondria — tiny powerhouses inside cells that provide them with energy — triggers events that occur early in Alzheimer's disease and may offer a promising target for treatment.

"Mitochondria," says lead author Dr. Diego Mastroeni, an assistant professor at Arizona State University in Tempe, "are the major source of energy in brain cells and deficiencies in energy metabolism have been shown to be one of the earliest events in Alzheimer's disease pathobiology."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320711.php

Problems in glucose transport and the amount of energy that it takes to repair DNA damage are two other factors that contribute to an energy shortage in the brain during Alzheimer's disease.

Then you add other factors like neurons not being regenerated, neurons dying, interference in communications between neurons. and a scarcity of acetylcholine needed for the retrieval of short-term memory and you have the sadly perfect storm in the brain.

All of these problems are due to oxidation (the loss of hydrogen atoms) and nitration and to a certain degree they can all partially be reversed by compounds that add hydrogen back to transport systems, receptors, and enzymes in the brain and that de-nitrate proteins.

As regarding CBD oil:

https://elixinol.com/blog/two-major-benefits-of-cbd-oil/

CBD inhibits NO, peroxynitrite, and p38 MAPK in microglial cells

CBD reduces oxidative and nitrative stresses in the uveitic retina

This tyrosine nitration was almost completely eliminated by CBD.

Prevent oxidation and nitration and you prevent Alzheimer's disease.  Partially reverse oxidation and nitration and you treat Alzheimer's disease.  There are few better examples of this than CBD oil.

alz+
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 4:31 AM

Lane - I appreciate your take on treating imbalances.

It surprised me that the "whole plant" oil which contains THC did not work better in restoring cognitive or make it last longer. I have not had my oil tested in a lab which I ought to find a way to do that.

When I say "restore cognitive ability" I am referring to being on automatic pilot towards life. Without the oil I have to think my way through everything, and series of actions require intense observations and planning.

Getting dressed would spend time choosing underwear, then inside out, or put on backward, then deciding what to wear - endless deciding and what was I getting dressed for? 

Then I have a dose of cbd and 20 minutes later find myself dressed reheating coffee and washing dishes while checking news.

This is not a subtle change.  It is starkly obvious. How can Alzheimer's fog clear so fast unless the oil is as simple as not being thirsty after drinking enough  water?

It is incredibly fast acting unlike the cbd oil I got from dispensary while out west which seemed to give me calm courage while being in new situation for a month, but not make it possible to repack my suitcase.

When I took Aricept I was suddenly able to "do things", the fog lifted and a fire was lit. I painted 2 walls in the basement in a few hours and more neatly than ever, it felt like a racing mind and body.

The oil just feels like normal. 

My perceptions and relating of things is difficult, being able to take an hour to write this is helpful. Makes me happy when people tell me they tried it for their dad or sister and it worked.

love to everyone

Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 9:45 AM

It surprises me, too, that the whole plant containing THC does not work better.  This may be part of the answer.

CBD may reverse the effects of THC on memory

It is believed that THC’s effects on memory come from its interaction with the CB1 receptor, which is present in memory-related brain areas and is involved in modulating memory. Despite the reduced number of studies on the effects of cannabinoids on memory in humans, and on the limitations of the existing literature, research seems to suggest that administration of THC impairs all stages of memory, while CBD efficiently blocks the unwanted effects of the psychoactive compound.

CB1 receptors are damaged in Alzheimer's disease, so the potentially negative effects of THC on short-term memory and anxiety are considerably reduced (and in some cases at least THC seems through a different mechanism to help with anxiety).  And it could be that cannabidiol is a better antioxidant than THC.  Since each person is different the right strains and balance between THC and cannabidiol will need to be found individually.

The problem with Aricept is that it only slows down the depletion of acetylcholine form the brain; it does not stop or reverse this depletion.  CBD oil (and other essential oils) quickly restore (or partially restore these levels) so the effects are almost immediate.  On the other hand, it does not take long once a person stops taking CBD oil that acetylcholine levels are depleted so that cognition and overall functioning decline again.

I think this point cannot be emphasized enough:  Alzheimer's disease is not a relentless, prolonged destruction of memory.  What is being "lost" is not memories but the ability to retrieve those memories (which is what acetylcholine does).  Memories (or at least certain type of memories) can be restored and as long as the person takes the natural product that restores those memories, they remain largely in tact from then on.

llee08032
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 10:10 AM

Anyone have experience with managing pain with CBD oil? I'd like to avoid opiates for as long as I possibly can with my back.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 11:24 AM

I have no experience using CBD oil for pain, although I am following with great interest the discussion that cannabis may potentially reduce the use of opiates in this country.  

I use pain creams with a mixture of essential oils to treat lower back pain at night.  The creams work quite well to suppress the pain through the night time (I also use a heating pad which helps as well).  My back pain is relatively minor, so I am not sure if this would work with greater levels of pain.

Mo42
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 8:37 AM

Where do you get CBD OIL?   WHERE do you put it, now much do you use? WHERE do you apply it? How often,    I'm willing to try anything, to make this Road easier .   My diagnosis is MCI, over a year now.   I'm taking Donepezil and I started having leg cramping, foot, stomach, neck areas.  MD gave me a muscle relaxer. Makes me more foggy

Mo42

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 9:15 AM

Mo -

I live in a legal state that makes dispensaries impossible so I get my RSO from a tribe and farmer co-op (who are endlessly hassled by police).

If you live in a legal state and have dispensaries go to several and ask for recommendations. I asked when I was in California for the RSO and no one had it, they have tinctures and extracts and vape pens.

Those products do not have same effect as my RSO for children with seizures. 

I suggest you look online for groups of people with ALZ using cannabis as we are all learning a lot from each other there.

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 9:21 AM

llee08032 wrote:
Anyone have experience with managing pain with CBD oil? I'd like to avoid opiates for as long as I possibly can with my back.
from what I have learned from veterans who use cannabis for chronic pain they seem to vape Indica strains for instant relief.

In years past I tried vape gadgets and never got the hang of it, the best easiest ones are table models that fill a bag and one inhales what is in the bag so no heat to lungs. they cost too much for me but that is what I have read.

most people still smoke  it in a pipe. There are balms and creams now and a friend who injured his hands joints playing banjo used it to prove it doesn't work, and it worked. Taken orally it does decrease inflammation anywhere in body but it still  takes weeks maybe to have a lasting effect.

I don't believe the oil I take without THC would help with  pain. Lots of online advice on how to treat pain with cannabis.

alz+
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 9:28 AM

Lane - very interesting about the THC connection to memory. I have never had the short term memory loss people claim goes with cannabis.

I know people speak at end of life, normally, and we can sing etc so Alz being sold as a memory loss thing is unfounded. It is about ability to call up rote behaviors, words, etc. Like when I can wash dishes while day dreaming about stuff - or go to wash clothes and not have do it by working out how detergent works, where it goes, how to turn on washer etc. If that were lost I would not be able to do it on oil without thinking.

This is why my life is better, because I refuse to believe bunk and refuse to believe there is no help. There is help.

Lane wrote:

" Alzheimer's disease is not a relentless, prolonged destruction of memory.  What is being "lost" is not memories but the ability to retrieve those memories (which is what acetylcholine does).  Memories (or at least certain type of memories) can be restored and as long as the person takes the natural product that restores those memories, they remain largely in tact from then on."

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 7:27 PM

alz+ wrote:

This is why my life is better, because I refuse to believe bunk and refuse to believe there is no help. There is help.

This is why these boards are so important!   We each have to learn what works for us, and this is where we can learn.  The outside world has little for people like us.  Thanks for sharing, alz+ and lane.

Iris L.

Haven
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:15 PM

In 6 weeks Marijuana and all associated will be legal in all of Canada. Our friend is running a plant to produce here in our province. Will it be difficult,do you think,to have our doctor prescribe CBD oil.I am reading about it and havewatched documentaries and willing for my husband to try,Can't hurt!