RSS Feed Print
What would you do....
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 2:14 PM

...if you and your worst enemy were the two very last persons on earth??

Murder, so only one or none will survive??

Or work with each other for survival?

I'm not sure what I would do....hide maybe....

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 4:44 PM

Oh Ruth ! Trust you to come up with a conundrum like this. How about a twist ? What if my worst enemy happens to be me ?
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2018 5:10 PM

....if one day you stop to look at yourself in the mirror, and realize, it's not you!
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 10:40 PM

...when you want to leave, and you just can't.  You try different exit plans, either quietly or dramatically, and you find yourself...right back!  What do you do?  

I think when I leave....my tactic will be anonymously...does that make sense?  HA!  It wasn't supposed to.

ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:06 PM

...when you don't want to do?  (Hint: Do what you want, and what's best for you.)
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:08 PM

...when it's a lonely night?  Talk to yourself...I guess. :o/
chrisp1653
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:13 PM

Looks like what you do is go down in the basement, ( here in musings, ) and talk there. However, it only seems like it's to yourself, since eventually someone else shows up to listen, and maybe even to talk. So, what would you do if someone showed up at your place with popcorn, some kind of refreshment, and a good DVD ?
ruthmendez
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 11:55 PM

Dump Musings and enjoy the popcorn!
Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 11:14 AM

I'd celebrate having survived. And being alive and well. Able to get on with life. As if I were in Eden. If necessary, I could hide from my so-called enemy. Until he/she became more civil. Maybe I'd change my name. To Adam II. But perhaps I would stick with Jim. Or use the equivalent of Jim in other languages. Giacomo or Vaclav. Yes. I'd find ways to entertain myself. I'd look for companions.  With all sorts of animals. I'd enjoy the peace and solitude. I'd write a poem. An Ode to Joy. I'd frolic. Dance to my heart's delight. I'd look up. At the stars. Every night. And wonder, wonder, wonder. How nice it is to be blessed. --Jim
Elephant in the room
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 5:38 PM

My worst enemy is the wild fluctuations in mood that Alzheimer's has inflicted on my beautiful, bright sister.  I don't know whether I am coming or going with her.  And there is no predictability to how she feels.  I get caught in trying to "Cheer her up."  I know that there's no point in trying to, but I love her. Any suggestions?
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 9:58 PM

Hi Christina.  I saw your post in the other forum.  Myself, I'm not sure if I would have good suggestions, but I think when she is not doing well with you, you can just leave for a while and return later or for the next visit. That way you are not putting pressure on yourself to try to make her happy.  

The more you try while the situation is not getting better will only make you more sad. Until you can accept how she is and that it may not get better at the moment, you will be able to deal with this.  And, most likely with time, her behavior or fluctuations will change.

Do you by any chance know how she is given her medications?  Is she on any antipsychotics, antidepressants, or antianxiety medications?

I'm only assuming that if the medications  are not given on time or in a consistent manner, this could be causing her fluctuations in her behavior.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 10:03 PM

Let me add, that when my father was having his changes during stage 6, I started watching what time of the day he would get angrier, and I would later figure out that was the hour I didn't want to cross. So I would give him his next dosage prior to the expected ugly change.  That way I could keep him in a behavior equilibrium.

From there on, I kept that dosage schedule at a consistent manner and communicated that with his psychiatrist.

Also, his medications had to be crushed and mixed in with his puddings, or I would hide them in his pitted prunes. Otherwise, he would spit them out.